News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Massive Disinformation

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 05, 2020, 08:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

The massive disinformation imposed on the American people appears to distract them from reality.

Because i am bilingual i am able to follow the mass media in the Turkish language and in the English language alike.

And i assure you that the American people compared to the Turkish people are under more influence of disinformation. It's maybe because in Turkland there are some public intellectuals empowered by some authorities to tell the truth.

No matter in Turkland or in any English-speaking country, to tell the truth in ''mass media'' you need to be EMPOWERED...

Of course talk is cheap, you can talk and talk in your social circle or forums like this, but in ''mass media'' which is a monopoly in %99 percentage, things are working different...

If only they provide me with some reliable sources, which aren't polluted; I don't want information, i want THE knowledge which can be reached by connecting the dots which is in correlation with THE truth.

Yeap, let's go on mindfully searching on the internet, which is a nearly total garbage.

Baruch

Taking in data blindly ... is garbage in, garbage out.  You have to have a "world model" to filter the data with.  Is the "world model" validated by the data?  If so, and some data is contrary, but doesn't invalidate the "world model", then that data is false (aka noise or propaganda).  Of course, having a "world model", means "philosophy" which most people here deny, because of their nihilistic materialism.  And there is a constant flow of new data.

Example:  HCQ.  Is it part of a Covid treatment or not?  Oh, if my model is TDS, and Trump mentions HCQ, then it must be poison, right?  Well, it could have been.  But new data showed that it works as part of a Covid treatment.   Smart people then recalibrate and build a revised model.  Crazy people decide that HCQ success is propaganda ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gregory

Quote from: Baruch on April 05, 2020, 09:20:42 PM
Taking in data blindly ... is garbage in, garbage out.  You have to have a "world model" to filter the data with.  Is the "world model" validated by the data?  If so, and some data is contrary, but doesn't invalidate the "world model", then that data is false (aka noise or propaganda).  Of course, having a "world model", means "philosophy" which most people here deny, because of their nihilistic materialism.  And there is a constant flow of new data.

Example:  HCQ.  Is it part of a Covid treatment or not?  Oh, if my model is TDS, and Trump mentions HCQ, then it must be poison, right?  Well, it could have been.  But new data showed that it works as part of a Covid treatment.   Smart people then recalibrate and build a revised model.  Crazy people decide that HCQ success is propaganda ;-)
What about confirmation bias as it seems built-in to your philosophy?

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on April 05, 2020, 11:47:39 PM
What about confirmation bias as it seems built-in to your philosophy?

Confirmation bias is a threat (see Feynman on this).  Obstinate refusal to consider alternatives ... is political ;-)  Manic contrarianism is medical.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gregory

What we need is not philosophy but poetry. What we need is instinct.

aitm

Instinct is probably the wrong word. Instinct is after all, learned behavior mostly attributed to a reaction to fear or imminent need. It has little to do with rationality or common sense. Flight from rustling leaves is not due to the reality of the wind, but the possibility of danger.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gregory

Quote from: aitm on April 06, 2020, 03:05:07 AM
Instinct is probably the wrong word. Instinct is after all, learned behavior mostly attributed to a reaction to fear or imminent need. It has little to do with rationality or common sense. Flight from rustling leaves is not due to the reality of the wind, but the possibility of danger.
Okay, then guts.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.