Shopping During a Pandemic

Started by SGOS, March 24, 2020, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Johnny Crawford and Chuck Connors  The Rifleman 1960

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 26, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Johnny Crawford and Chuck Connors  The Rifleman 1960
Like I said--whinny brat kid.  And Connors was a better 1B for the Chicago Cubs than he was an actor.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 26, 2020, 07:37:43 AM
What are the other two in the top three?  Fire?  Wheel?  Writing?  Boats?  Staff/spear?

Probably fire and agriculture/domestication of animals, though I am torn on those just because it is the reason we have overpopulated in the first place and can thus also be to blame for so much of the evil in the world. If I let that knock it out of second place, I would have to give the second most important invention a bit more thought before I said anything definitively, but control of fire is easily the most important invention in human history.

Writing, I'm not sold on. There were very advanced civilizations that had only rudimentary understanding of writing and yet operated perfectly fine. Humanity could live perfectly fine without it, though it is certainly great. A top 5 invention, but not sure if it cracks my top 3.

QuoteBased on Shir's criteria for shoes I'm going to have to go with the toothbrush and dental floss.

Elaborate.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 26, 2020, 03:06:29 PM
Johnny Crawford--whinny brat kid.
One of the most dismissable characters from an age of fluffy airheads.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

and into todays headlines of an individual who give a good case for returning the hung drawn and quartered method of punishment.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/26/supermarket-dump-35000-food-twisted-woman-deliberately-coughed-12460956/

Quote‘Twisted’ woman went to supermarket just to cough on $35,000 of food that had to be dumped

A supermarket was forced to throw out $35,000 worth of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and bakery products after a ‘twisted’ customer walked around coughing on it. The unidentified woman, who is said to regularly act like a nuisance at Gerrity’s Supermarket in Hanover Township, Pennsylvania, reportedly came in on Tuesday especially to cough on food during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Shop worker Joe Fasula wrote on the store’s Facebook page: ‘Today was a very challenging day. ‘At 2:20 p.m. today, I got a call from our Hanover Township store. ‘The manager informed that a woman, who the police know to be a chronic problem in the community, came in to the store and proceeded to purposely cough on our fresh produce, and a small section of our bakery, meat case and grocery.

‘I’m also absolutely sick to my stomach about the loss of food. ‘While it is always a shame when food is wasted, in these times when so many people are worried about the security of our food supply, it is even more disturbing.’ Fasula said staff dumped every piece of food coughed on by the woman, before disinfecting shelves. They worked to shepherd her out of the store as quickly as possible, with the woman not believed to be suffering from any Covid-19 symptoms. She was subsequently arrested, with prosecutors now planning criminal charges against her. Fasula said that the incident gave his staff the chance to practice emergency coronavirus procedures â€" and has assured customers that the supermarket is now even cleaner as a result.

The woman’s cough attack came as 26 year-old Cody Pfister, from St Louis, Missouri, was charged with licking a deodorant at a Walmart store. So far, almost 70,000 Americans have been infected with coronavirus, with close to 1,000 dead as a result. Officials have warned the entire nation to observe social distancing procedures in a bid to avoid the virus, which can easily be spread through coughs or sneezes.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 26, 2020, 09:12:03 PM
and into todays headlines of an individual who give a good case for returning the hung drawn and quartered method of punishment.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/26/supermarket-dump-35000-food-twisted-woman-deliberately-coughed-12460956/

Fill her mouth with wasps.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Shiranu on March 26, 2020, 06:25:15 PM
Elaborate.

It is pretty well documented that dental abscesses killed a lot of people in antiquity. Egypt is probably the best known example because we literally have tens of thousands of thousands of year old bodies to examine. There is a lot of sand in Egypt. It gets into everything including the food. Sand is highly abrasive, and caused rapid dental wear. This led to abscesses that killed a lot of people. We have a lot of mummies that show exactly that. Egypt isn't the only example either. In many historic cultures people chewed hides to soften them. Once again leading to high tooth wear and deadly abscesses. I won't argue that infected feet didn't kill people before shoes, but I'm not aware of a bunch ancient corpses that forensic analysis says were killed by foot infections. Plus there are still places in the world where aboriginals don't wear shoes. I can't remember hearing about no shoes killing a bunch of them.

So your reasoning that shoes helped cut down on infections and saved lives led to me thinking that if true, good oral hygiene probably saved more lives than shoes. Therefore if shoes are # 3 then the toothbrush and dental floss must be 1 and 2.

BTW. While all good things I don't rank toothbrushes, dental floss or shoes that high on my list of human's greatest inventions.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

Fair enough. I would change it to "dental hygiene" as a whole then though, and I would say that actually does fall into my top 10 at least... though that's getting awfully close to just generic "health/medicine".

However dental hygiene has less effect on your day to day life, significantly, than shoes. You can work with a cavity, missing teeth, a tooth ache, whatever... as long as it isn't killing you, you can work with it. Just look at the condition of some people's teeth even today and they are perfectly capable of working.

Your feet is an entirely different matter, particularly if we are going back all the way to hunter-gather times, but honestly all the way up until the last 40 years as computers have made us more sedentary. Shoes help prevent injuries as well as infections, and for a species that specializes in being mobile, it is literally life changing to have even a slight wound to your foot.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on March 26, 2020, 09:12:03 PM

There may not be the right legal tools to get her hospitalized in a mental ward.  Although jail would at least remove her from society.  Either way, it would be a win.  She may or may not be nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 27, 2020, 03:17:10 AM
There may not be the right legal tools to get her hospitalized in a mental ward.  Although jail would at least remove her from society.  Either way, it would be a win.  She may or may not be nuts.
Reagan "mainstreamed" the crazies, dumped them on the streets. Cheaper for the taxpayers.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 26, 2020, 10:37:45 PMThere is a lot of sand in Egypt. It gets into everything including the food.
Plus, it's coarse and rough and irritating.  I don't like it.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2020, 07:26:53 AM
Reagan "mainstreamed" the crazies, dumped them on the streets. Cheaper for the taxpayers.

Social activist, Dr Liang, in 1970s.  What happened under Reagan was outpatient and community homes.  This was Progressive.  That and a certain popular movie … One Flew Over ..
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 27, 2020, 08:23:27 AM
Social activist, Dr Liang, in 1970s.  What happened under Reagan was outpatient and community homes.  This was Progressive.  That and a certain popular movie … One Flew Over ..
And the conservatives ran with it, disregarding any cautions the mental health professionals gave them.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2020, 11:48:43 AM
And the conservatives ran with it, disregarding any cautions the mental health professionals gave them.

Yes, Republicans are just as SJW as the Democrats, they differ on which party should form the dictatorship ;-)  There were people who said Dr Liang, a mental doctor, was mental himself ;-(  But his view prevailed, because no local government wanted to fund the sanatariums.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.