News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Shopping During a Pandemic

Started by SGOS, March 24, 2020, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 24, 2020, 12:41:06 PM
That's too bad.  But that does cut down the exposure time anyway.  You must really be out in the country!
I'm going to give the Instacart option a try.  It's 30 miles round trip to do the pickup, but it does decrease my exposure time in the store.  The drive is not the concern.  it's actually my closest destination.  It's not the best solution, but it may be the best one available to me, and that's as much as I can do.

As for my location, I'm more isolated here in rural Virginia than I was in Montana.  Part of this is that retirement allows me to live farther away from a daily obligation.  My town, which isn't really a town, but just a place where a few struggling enterprises have set up along a part of the highway where traffic is briefly slowed down to 45mph.  We have a Post Office, Fire Department, gas station, and of all things, a hair dressers salon.  Also, Dollar General just opened up a convenience type grocery business, which I understand is also struggling.  There are maybe 6 or 8 homes in what I call "town."  The rest of us are spread around part of the county on small farms, or parts of what used to be farms.  Population of the entire county is under 18,000, which looks like this.  My house is somewhere back toward the far horizon in this picture.

Mike Cl

That sounds and looks great.  Kind of reminds me of my grandparents little farm 20 miles north of Portland, Oregon.  They were 3 miles from a little town of 900.  Spent quite a bit of time there until my mid 30's.  I really liked it there.  I do hope Instacart works for you.  Stay safe, tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

St. Louis freeways are currently a breeze. I'd love to take time lapse movies of the traffic over the next thirty days. People will get bored. Being scared to death isn't permanent. 
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

I went shopping for shoes the other day.  Went to WalMart.  The bread aisle was fairly empty, but the baking aisle was fully stocked.  The meat were nearly empty, but the canned meats were mostly stocked.  In the snack foods aisle they had lots of nuts and jerky.  I went to the camping equipment, and that section was fully stocked and looked like few if any people had been there, including all the emergency supplies.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Munch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on March 25, 2020, 10:23:03 PM
I went shopping for shoes the other day.  Went to WalMart.  The bread aisle was fairly empty, but the baking aisle was fully stocked.  The meat were nearly empty, but the canned meats were mostly stocked.  In the snack foods aisle they had lots of nuts and jerky.  I went to the camping equipment, and that section was fully stocked and looked like few if any people had been there, including all the emergency supplies.

ordinarily I'd not ask, but seems like an odd time to be looking for shoes, unless it was an emergency.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

I bought a new pair of flip-flops yesterday. $5.88 to help out China's economy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 25, 2020, 11:13:26 PM
ordinarily I'd not ask, but seems like an odd time to be looking for shoes, unless it was an emergency.

Shoes are quite literally in the top 3 most important human inventions, ever. Our ancestors had a hell of a rough time with them, infections on the feet lead to death way too often to really comprehend in our modern world, and... well, they are just more comfortable than walking on the ground or a few straps of leather or cloth.

They are valuable both as a resource and a commodity. 
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

What are the other two in the top three?  Fire?  Wheel?  Writing?  Boats?  Staff/spear?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 26, 2020, 07:37:43 AM
What are the other two in the top three?  Fire?  Wheel?  Writing?  Boats?  Staff/spear?

Based on Shir's criteria for shoes I'm going to have to go with the toothbrush and dental floss.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 26, 2020, 07:37:43 AM
Since we first started throwing rocks at each other, I'm going with weapons, either for actual self defense or just recreationaly  killing each other.  Somewhere down on the list would be the printing press, so we can read the American Rifleman.  Do they still call it that?  Rifleman sounds so 20th Century.

Hydra009

If we're going weapons, it's the spear hands down for most of human history.  It's so simple and easy made and practical.  It had universal appeal - no matter who you were or were you lived, you used a spear.  It's mystifying to me that swords ever got more popular spears.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 26, 2020, 09:54:55 AM
If we're going weapons, it's the spear hands down for most of human history.  It's so simple and easy made and practical.  It had universal appeal - no matter who you were or were you lived, you used a spear.  It's mystifying to me that swords ever got more popular spears.
Yes, most innovations in weaponry involved killing at a greater and greater distances, which makes sense.  Swords didn't do that, and put the user more directly in harms way, and then there were the axes and spiked balls at the end of a long chain.  I don't think I would have enjoyed going into battle with that stuff.  You would find me running for the ridge, and leaving my clubs and bashers on the ground, while looking for a better king to pledge my allegiance to.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 26, 2020, 10:04:04 AM
Yes, most innovations in weaponry involved killing at a greater and greater distances, which makes sense.  Swords didn't do that, and put the user more directly in harms way, and then there were the axes and spiked balls at the end of a long chain.  I don't think I would have enjoyed going into battle with that stuff.  You would find me running for the ridge, and leaving my clubs and bashers on the ground, while looking for a better king to pledge my allegiance to.

In the Iliad, it was considered cowardly to throw a spear (javelin) or use a bow & arrows.  Teucer, half-brother of Ajax (the greater) was the best Greek bowman.  Prince Paris (Alexander) was the best Trojan bowman.  He would shoot his bow from behind the great shield of his brother.  Prince Paris famously shot Achilles in the heel with a poisoned arrow and killed him.

The "Parthian Shot" ... in ancient Persia 2000 years ago, the numerous Persian archer cavalry would feign retreat, while shooting their bow backward from their mount (horse on autopilot).  This was often fatal to Roman armies (mostly infantry).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 26, 2020, 09:29:17 AM
Since we first started throwing rocks at each other, I'm going with weapons, either for actual self defense or just recreationaly  killing each other.  Somewhere down on the list would be the printing press, so we can read the American Rifleman.  Do they still call it that?  Rifleman sounds so 20th Century.
Chuck Connors.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Johnny Crawford--whinny brat kid.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?