What do you think about stereotypes?

Started by zarus tathra, June 24, 2013, 06:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteI've been straight up called the "whitest person" someone knows.

Damn, that sucks dude.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jelly Penutbutter

There's a gay kid at my school who everyone thinks is striat...
-JP

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Savior2006

Quote from: "Triple Nine"As a young black male who likes stuff such as Nintendo, rock, classical, manga, philosophy, and a ton of other nerdy interests I can tell you stereotyping hasn't been kind to me. One of the first things I often find myself having to do in a new group of people is sort of hinting in subtle ways that I am not the stereotypical young black male. This isn't necessarily even a gangbanger, just certain patterns of speech and other little stuff. I often get comments on how I'm not the stereotypical black person (or honestly just person in general) and I've been straight up called the "whitest person" someone knows. And yes that's comes from white people.

We as people will always stereotype, and there are certain characteristics groups have. Let's try and not do that though, because all it does is put more unneeded pressure on others, like me.

Agreed. I've dealt with the same shit growing up through a high school of wannabe "thugs," and a college with no thugs, because they don't graduate high school, but plenty of morons tell me I wasn't black enough. It's fucking irritating and I don't think it's ever going to stop.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

stromboli

I've known people that fit stereotypes and people that don't. In high school there were preppies and jocks, much like in the movies. I grew up with cowboys that emulated the role, chewing tobacco and driving 4X4 trucks, with big buckles and neckerchiefs and so on. Stereotypes do exist. But it is not correct to say that we all conform to them, because we don't.