Finding comfort without Jesus during a pandemic

Started by AcrobaticDetective, March 16, 2020, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newtonian

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 17, 2020, 04:45:01 PM
The Christian god punishing all of us severely because you specifically strayed away from the flock does sound like his style.

Goddamn it detective, delude yourself into believing again, people are suffering out there.

Or, you know, we're not that important to the universe that our mere thoughts change reality and call upon succes or calamity.

There are dark times ahead, regarding health and economic collapse, make no mistake. Be the best pillar you can be for your network, especially in these times of social isolation. Through words and actions, not through the thoughts which you can not control, but instead simply are.

The most comforting is that God promises and end to sickness and death. (Isaiah 33:24; Revelation 21:4).   Of course, that is then not now.  Jesus' prophecies for the "last days" are being fulfilled now (Matthew 24; Luke 21; Mark 13).   Pestilence/plague was one of the many things foretold these times "difficult to deal with" (2 Timothy 3:1-5).

The Bible taught the importance of quarantine long before modern medicine taught this.  See:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018029#h=14:0-15:232

Excerpt:

"Isolating sick people.
The Mosaic Law prescribed keeping people with leprosy separate from others. Not until the plagues of the Middle Ages did medical doctors learn to apply this principle, which is still deemed effective.​â€"Leviticus, chapters 13 and 14."

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I like how he quarantines women for having a menstrual cycle he doesn’t even understand. Your god is a useless piece of shit.
And let’s not forget how many people he demands be killed for back talking his parents...or even better how may believers he allowed to die because he could never win the first two battles...always the third after he let the majority die....useless god.

Or how his “angels” cowered in a closet and let a man send his, own daughter out to be raped and murdered...yeah your god is all something all right. Fucking useless
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 21, 2020, 07:21:58 AM
Poor dear, been burned by reality yourself I see.
Yes, and it's given me a quality called 'empathy'.  Try it some time.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 21, 2020, 01:19:26 PM
I like how he quarantines women for having a menstrual cycle he doesn’t even understand. Your god is a useless piece of shit.
And let’s not forget how many people he demands be killed for back talking his parents...or even better how may believers he allowed to die because he could never win the first two battles...always the third after he let the majority die....useless god.

Or how his “angels” cowered in a closet and let a man send his, own daughter out to be raped and murdered...yeah your god is all something all right. Fucking useless
Now, now.  Your missing the big picture here.  I'm not sure what that is, but it's probably something.

AcrobaticDetective

Quote from: trdsf on March 20, 2020, 09:11:12 PM
Well, let me ask you just how the fuck you think it's helpful to someone trying to get out from under the crush of unwarranted guilt and pre-adolescent programming by just standing there waving your middle finger going "You're stupid, you're stupid, you're stupid?"

Whence, you're an asshole.  Or if you prefer, you're being an asshole.  Personally, I don't see a lot of difference.

I completely agree and thanks for the support, trdsf.
"I'm a talking chimpanzee in a hat and you're a grown man in a bat suit. Let them have this."

Newtonian

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2020, 01:32:00 PM
Now, now.  Your missing the big picture here.  I'm not sure what that is, but it's probably something.

Of course, Romans 1:20 involves all thing that can be proven scientifically as per 1 Thessalonians 5:21 - KJV: "prove all things."

I don't want to be sidetracked from thread topic.   The reason I referred to the teaching of quarantine in the Bible was to emphasize the importance of quarantine during the present epi/pandemic from the Corona (Covid-19) virus.  It is extremely contagious and scientists are still in the learning stage. 

But one thing for sure: you can't catch viruses on the internet!

Btw - take comfort in the first serious epidemic during these last days (which started in 1914) foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24; Luke 21; Mark 13 -:  the Spanish influenza killed about 20 million people in all but two islands in 1918!    This epidemic hopefully will not kill 20 million people - that doesn't seem likely.   

Also while the nations do not know the way out (Luke 21:25) - we (those of my religion) lift up our heads:

Luke 21:28
New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)

28 But as these things start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.”

But, what is the good news of God's kingdom? (Matthew 24:14)

aitm

Newt....son. As a rule we don’t allow preaching. We have been very...very tolerant. But stop.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 21, 2020, 01:30:49 PM
Yes, and it's given me a quality called 'empathy'.  Try it some time.
I'm empathetic for those that earn it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 21, 2020, 09:01:24 PM
Bullshit.  You expect robots.
You want that because I don't conform to your fantasies. Very weak.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2020, 05:51:28 AM
You want that because I don't conform to your fantasies. Very weak.
No, I want that because it's the civilized and humane thing to be.  Very piss-poor humanity, you're showing.  I repeat, since you were too much a fucking coward to actually answer the question, how the fuck you think it helps to prance around waving your middle finger going "You're stupid, you're stupid, you're stupid"?

Hint: it doesn't.  Now grow the fuck up and be useful, or piss off.

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on March 21, 2020, 01:19:26 PMOr how his “angels” cowered in a closet and let a man send his, own daughter out to be raped and murdered...yeah your god is all something all right. Fucking useless
Well, that was to teach us...ummm...uhhh...somethingish?

Hydra009

Quote from: Newtonian on March 21, 2020, 06:08:19 PMBtw - take comfort in the first serious epidemic during these last days (which started in 1914)
LOL, these "last" days have been coming on for a good while now.  Since you implied that the very last day is nigh (it always is), care to hazard a guess?  Cause I can practically guarantee it's wrong.  And not based on any actual information, of course, but we already knew that.

trdsf

I take comfort in the fact that every apocalyptic prediction ever has been to date wrong, so I don't have a whole lot of reason to believe any further ones. At least not those not based on observation and mathematics.  Wake me when a legitimate astronomer can point out an asteroid with an orbit that intersects ours on a date certain, don't bother me with this biblical bullshit.