Finding comfort without Jesus during a pandemic

Started by AcrobaticDetective, March 16, 2020, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on March 18, 2020, 04:15:06 PM
Hey, if you ever hit the magic 800, you'll get more goddamn junk mail from everybank and credit card in the world. Both the wife and I hit it bout 8 months ago....throw away damn near a trashcan a month.
I have a rolly cart outside the house, sort the mail before I leave the mail box. Good citizen me recycles.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 18, 2020, 04:39:48 PM
I have a rolly cart outside the house, sort the mail before I leave the mail box. Good citizen me recycles.
I recycle as well....I’m a good citizen of the world...mostly
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on March 18, 2020, 04:31:28 PM
I assume 800 must be the perfect credit score.
No, but it apparently is the start of the onslaught.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on March 18, 2020, 04:15:06 PM
Hey, if you ever hit the magic 800, you'll get more goddamn junk mail from everybank and credit card in the world. Both the wife and I hit it bout 8 months ago....throw away damn near a trashcan a month.

I once got an offer of a credit card from Barclays Bank (British) because I often watch British Youtube channels.  Only $400 per year annual fee, for the privilege.  Should I have also ordered a bowler hat? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 18, 2020, 02:00:37 PM
Still amazingly stupid. Excuses or not.
We're not talking about logic, we're talking about emotional responses.  Knowing intellectually that with rare exceptions spiders are completely harmless does absolutely nothing to alleviate my severe arachnophobia.  Humans aren't robots.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 18, 2020, 06:26:45 PM
We're not talking about logic, we're talking about emotional responses.  Knowing intellectually that with rare exceptions spiders are completely harmless does absolutely nothing to alleviate my severe arachnophobia.  Humans aren't robots.
You said nothing about not being stupid. I agree with that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 18, 2020, 07:07:22 PM
You said nothing about not being stupid. I agree with that.
'Stupid' implies being unable to know better.  It is not stupid, it is a difficult to overcome, deeply rooted emotional response -- this is why Dawkins likens religious indoctrination to child abuse: it creates psychological damage that lasts into adulthood.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 19, 2020, 11:01:54 AM
'Stupid' implies being unable to know better.  It is not stupid, it is a difficult to overcome, deeply rooted emotional response -- this is why Dawkins likens religious indoctrination to child abuse: it creates psychological damage that lasts into adulthood.
And that's stupid.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 19, 2020, 11:15:32 PM
Fine, be an asshole.
Ooh, that hurt. I am wounded to the quick. Romeo, call the EMTs!
PZ Myers

Sal1981

I had, for at least 5 years, a lingering fear of Hell after I deconverted, even though I knew in my conscious mind that it was baloney. It was like my emotional state was battling my reasoning abilities on this point. When I finally did get out of that emotional state I felt a sense of joy and relief that's hard to describe. Now I see that negative emotional states isn't something you can reason yourself out of, but something you have to work with to overcome.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 20, 2020, 09:54:04 AM
I had, for at least 5 years, a lingering fear of Hell after I deconverted, even though I knew in my conscious mind that it was baloney. It was like my emotional state was battling my reasoning abilities on this point. When I finally did get out of that emotional state I felt a sense of joy and relief that's hard to describe. Now I see that negative emotional states isn't something you can reason yourself out of, but something you have to work with to overcome.
That is what I experienced.  It really drives home the difference between emotion and logic, and how much our emotion affects behavior and thoughts.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 20, 2020, 05:12:43 AM
Ooh, that hurt. I am wounded to the quick. Romeo, call the EMTs!
Well, let me ask you just how the fuck you think it's helpful to someone trying to get out from under the crush of unwarranted guilt and pre-adolescent programming by just standing there waving your middle finger going "You're stupid, you're stupid, you're stupid?"

Whence, you're an asshole.  Or if you prefer, you're being an asshole.  Personally, I don't see a lot of difference.

aitm

I never had that experience. I don’t think I ever bought into it.watching the behavior of the congregation and being from a small town I knew everyone so I was never impressed with the “Christian” behavior. I went to church for the girls plain and simple.
Mom and Dad were not great church goers so they kind of set the bar for need and necessity pretty low. Walking away was more like leaving a bad class, very easy.

I really didn’t even get interested in “studying” religion until my daughter was born. I bought a set of Funk and Wagner encyclopedias and read A to Z...well pretty much and then started writing a book about why I didn’t believes so I could  give it to my daughter when she got older. The more I found myself making “factual” statements the more I found myself researching to make sure I was right...wow..was I wrong on a lot of things. That was the beginning of my real education...and the book. Atheist In The Midst..hence  my nic.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 20, 2020, 09:11:12 PM
Well, let me ask you just how the fuck you think it's helpful to someone trying to get out from under the crush of unwarranted guilt and pre-adolescent programming by just standing there waving your middle finger going "You're stupid, you're stupid, you're stupid?"

Whence, you're an asshole.  Or if you prefer, you're being an asshole.  Personally, I don't see a lot of difference.
Poor dear, been burned by reality yourself I see.
PZ Myers