Finding comfort without Jesus during a pandemic

Started by AcrobaticDetective, March 16, 2020, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcrobaticDetective

"I'm a talking chimpanzee in a hat and you're a grown man in a bat suit. Let them have this."

AcrobaticDetective

Quote from: aitm on March 17, 2020, 03:32:28 PM
I can’t speak to your obvious successes in life due to prayer, but for me, nothing ever got better due to praying....or worse. It was the same for me as it was for other people, some praying to different gods. If your prayers worked so well, why would you ever decide to abandon such success?

I'm assuming that's rhetorical. Good point.
"I'm a talking chimpanzee in a hat and you're a grown man in a bat suit. Let them have this."

AcrobaticDetective

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 18, 2020, 01:35:47 AM
Comfort is a disease.

It is a brand of TP.  If you don't use TP, you get a disease.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 17, 2020, 06:28:27 PM
Amazingly stupid.
Naw, that's just parts of religion that are hard to shake: the assumption of agency for events without agency, and assumption of personal guilt for events that happen at about the same time that you did something that religion frowns upon.  It's very hard to shake.  Certainly in Catholicism, we were taught that "everything happens for a reason" and that we should feel guilty about pretty much everything.  It takes a while to purge that kind of programming so that you no longer have certain knee-jerk reactions.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: AcrobaticDetective on March 16, 2020, 09:20:05 PM
First of all, just to fill you in on my own personal version of crazy, a part of me blames my deconversion for the pandemic. I am a rational person who knows better, but the thought is haunting.
I can understand that because of the power of indoctrination.  You had been brainwashed as a child, a simple task since your brain was an empty slate.  I experienced the same thing when in my 50s I recognized I was an atheist. After years of struggle, quests to find God, and my own version of souped up apologetics, I just walked away from theism, but I was still afraid of Hell. It makes no rational sense to fear what you do not believe, but it was an emotional leftover from my training as a child.  It diminished over a year or two and disappeared.

With all the flim flam artists on evangelical TV claiming with great authority that tornadoes are caused by gays, women addicted to abortions, or whatever thing is pissing them off at the moment, I can understand that many people actually believe that kind of non sequitur, and I can understand it being difficult to shake for a person coming out into the light. But your thoughts will pass if you don't feed them.  Also, try to take your ego out of the equation.  You are simply not that important or powerful that you can hurl a plague at mankind.  You know this of course.

Baruch

All Republican conspiracy theories wrong?

All Democrat conspiracy theories right?

Even with no G-d, that doesn't make anyone automatically truthful, even atheists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AcrobaticDetective

Quote from: trdsf on March 18, 2020, 07:25:15 AM
Naw, that's just parts of religion that are hard to shake: the assumption of agency for events without agency, and assumption of personal guilt for events that happen at about the same time that you did something that religion frowns upon.  It's very hard to shake.  Certainly in Catholicism, we were taught that "everything happens for a reason" and that we should feel guilty about pretty much everything.  It takes a while to purge that kind of programming so that you no longer have certain knee-jerk reactions.

Precisely

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on March 18, 2020, 07:25:15 AM
Still amazingly stupid. Excuses or not.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I've noticed that half the recent junk mail I'm getting in my inbox is from some bank, company, or political party party wanting me to know that during the Coronavirus crisis, they are there for me.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on March 18, 2020, 02:13:37 PM
I've noticed that half the recent junk mail I'm getting in my inbox is from some bank, company, or political party party wanting me to know that during the Coronavirus crisis, they are there for me.

Hey, if you ever hit the magic 800, you'll get more goddamn junk mail from everybank and credit card in the world. Both the wife and I hit it bout 8 months ago....throw away damn near a trashcan a month.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I assume 800 must be the perfect credit score.