Author Topic: Great forum!  (Read 1181 times)

Great forum!
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
So far I can say I really like this forum. Not only do I get a lot of sensible feedback from the other members, but the mods do not interfere with the discussions here. I recently left another forum because of such interference. If I'm invited into a discussion board, I want to freely discuss the issues. I'm glad that so far at least I'm free to speak my mind.

To make this forum even better, I'd like to see more religious members who can argue for their faith. I really enjoy debating Christians.

Re: Great forum!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
Ask them why THEIR version of Christianity is the right one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Ask them why THEIR version of Christianity is the right one.

Well, if some Christians were here, that would be a good question to ask them.

Anyway, one possible reason for the lack of Christians here might be that they fear that their arguments can never endure under the scrutiny of atheists. Most of the Christian forums impose a playing field that is slanted against unbelievers. That way they hope to ensure that their beliefs hold up.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »
We get Christians once in a while, and sometimes a Muslim will come here to make assertions about their religion, but that's all they can ever do is assert, and expect us to believe them. They have no arguments, but they often believe that they do, so they come here to try them out on us. They don't usually stay for long.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Offline aitm

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
well we got a JW now......have fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »
We get Christians once in a while, and sometimes a Muslim will come here to make assertions about their religion, but that's all they can ever do is assert, and expect us to believe them. They have no arguments, but they often believe that they do, so they come here to try them out on us. They don't usually stay for long.

I've seen much of what you're describing hundreds of times. The religious have their arguments that for them, serve to convince or at least alleviate the doubts for a while. Such arguments almost always are woefully inadequate if scrutinized under critical thinking. Once the religious person realizes that her or his position is hopeless, she or he will beat a hasty retreat taking care not to concede defeat and hoping nobody notices. The skeptic will often be derided as "angry" or "bitter" for no other reason than for refuting the religious person's apologetic.

So apologetics is only effective if people already want to believe it. In an open forum like this one, apologetics arguments are quickly shredded.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
well we got a JW now......have fun.

Let me at 'em!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
So far I can say I really like this forum. Not only do I get a lot of sensible feedback from the other members, but the mods do not interfere with the discussions here. I recently left another forum because of such interference. If I'm invited into a discussion board, I want to freely discuss the issues. I'm glad that so far at least I'm free to speak my mind.

To make this forum even better, I'd like to see more religious members who can argue for their faith. I really enjoy debating Christians.
I thank you Jagella,
But I wanna be honest with you, and with your mates: I don't want only you listen to me, I want also, in a very short time,  you will help me to advice, to alert, as many people as it is possible. As I'm sure we are in danger, and we have really a few time be left.

That's why I am so assertive and, sometimes, rude. Because I'm sure the present situation, this Pandemic nobody is really able to stop, nowhere, it is just the Beginning of the End. In other words, we will see soon these disasters, and in this order:

Attention: mystic content
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire"
(John the Baptist)

Offline SGOS

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
I don't want only you listen to me, I want also, in a very short time,  you will help me to advice, to alert, as many people as it is possible.
You want to give advice, but you don't want to take advice.  This is a big problem with religious fundamentalists.  They don't want to learn. They just want others to believe what they do, no matter how stupid those beliefs are.

As I'm sure we are in danger, and we have really a few time be left.
We know we are in danger.  We know our president has screwed the pooch on this one.  You should write a letter to him, but saddly, he doesn't listen any better than you do.

That's why I am so assertive and, sometimes, rude. Because I'm sure the present situation,
Yes, the present situation is bad.  This is the worst pandemic I have lived through.  I was born in 1943.  What we have observed so far is that we can take actual action to reduce casualties given competent leadership.  Humans can take steps to bring society through this with the least amount of suffering given competent leadership, which I agree is missing.  You can pray to God, that's fine, but if you can't do something to actually help, get out of the way.

Being sure is not the same thing as being right. 

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »
I thank you Jagella,
But I wanna be honest with you, and with your mates: I don't want only you listen to me, I want also, in a very short time,  you will help me to advice, to alert, as many people as it is possible. As I'm sure we are in danger, and we have really a few time be left.

That's why I am so assertive and, sometimes, rude. Because I'm sure the present situation, this Pandemic nobody is really able to stop, nowhere, it is just the Beginning of the End. In other words, we will see soon these disasters, and in this order:

Attention: mystic content
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The Covid-19 pandemic won't kill us all, seeing as its mortality rate is around 2%-3%. Were you around 102 years ago, you would've said the same thing about the Spanish flu pandemic.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Baruch

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
The Covid-19 pandemic won't kill us all, seeing as its mortality rate is around 2%-3%. Were you around 102 years ago, you would've said the same thing about the Spanish flu pandemic.

Correct ... the commie-demic killed more people, eventually.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
I thank you Jagella,

That's why I am so assertive and, sometimes, rude. Because I'm sure the present situation, this Pandemic nobody is really able to stop, nowhere, it is just the Beginning of the End. In other words, we will see soon these disasters, and in this order...

Jesus is always coming but never arriving. How long have you believed "the end is nigh"? I've been hearing about it for fifty years or more.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:11 PM »
Jesus is always coming but never arriving. How long have you believed "the end is nigh"? I've been hearing about it for fifty years or more.

It is an attitude of course, not a timeline.  Maximal pessimism.  Of course for individuals, the end can only be a day away.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
It is an attitude of course, not a timeline.  Maximal pessimism.  Of course for individuals, the end can only be a day away.

Many people don't seem to mind that the end, according to Christian beliefs, involves world-wide destruction and death. I must wonder if some people actually look forward to the apocalypse.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »
Many people don't seem to mind that the end, according to Christian beliefs, involves world-wide destruction and death. I must wonder if some people actually look forward to the apocalypse.

Yes, mentally ill people look forward to a secular/religious apocalypse.  Just as some look forward to their own demise.  Murder is externalized suicide.  Wish for apocalypse is magnified self despair.

Some people die suddenly or quickly, and don't go thru the usual psychological phases ... denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.  It took a long while for my mother's health to fail, she went thru all of these.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.