News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Art for the artist's sake

Started by Gregory, March 11, 2020, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory

Is the artist forgiven everything for art?

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Quote from: Gregory on March 11, 2020, 09:30:27 PM
There are always those "artists" notorious for pushing taboo-related "art", which I suspect is just to plunge them on the world stage thanks to outrage mobs.

Just ignore the next the literally shitstained canvas you come across, don't blast it on social media for the world to see.

Hydra009

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 11, 2020, 11:31:54 PM
True art is angsty.

And starving in the garret.  But very valuable after the original artist is dead ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 11, 2020, 11:23:49 PM
There are always those "artists" notorious for pushing taboo-related "art", which I suspect is just to plunge them on the world stage thanks to outrage mobs.

Just ignore the next the literally shitstained canvas you come across, don't blast it on social media for the world to see.

Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" created a riot on opening night in the Paris ballet theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1OQkHybEQ

I like the original choreography version ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gregory on March 11, 2020, 09:30:27 PM
I like art, but some times I don't.  It may or may not have anything to do with how edgy or repugnant it is.  I don't really have any desire to see a crucifix of Jesus in a vile of the artists urine.  I don't know what that means to the guy who created it, nor do I care.  It's simply a case of not caring about looking at someone's urine. Standing there and contemplating it as art seems pretentious to me. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2020, 10:54:19 AM
I like art, but some times I don't.  It may or may not have anything to do with how edgy or repugnant it is.  I don't really have any desire to see a crucifix of Jesus in a vile of the artists urine.  I don't know what that means to the guy who created it, nor do I care.  It's simply a case of not caring about looking at someone's urine. Standing there and contemplating it as art seems pretentious to me.

Neither you nor I are wealthy enough or pretentious enough to pay big bucks to put that in our mansions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Art is 'art' if you like it--trash if you don't.  Like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.  What the artist thinks of it, or why it was done is usually of little interest to me.  An artist can produce a work with an objective in mind and I may simply see the work in another way.  Pisscasso did not produce any art.  If I had one of his works, I'd sell it for as much as I could get.  But I don't like his work--looks like a retarded 4 year old did it.  But that matters not to you--others love his stuff.  It's art if I like it and isn't if I don't.  Simple.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 12, 2020, 10:53:21 PMPisscasso did not produce any art.  If I had one of his works, I'd sell it for as much as I could get.  But I don't like his work--looks like a retarded 4 year old did it.

I applaud your boldness and candor.  Don't tell anyone, but I agree.  But don't let an art enthusiast know or I'll never hear the end of it.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2020, 11:08:46 PM
I applaud your boldness and candor.  Don't tell anyone, but I agree.  But don't let an art enthusiast know or I'll never hear the end of it.
When it gets to weird stuff, Pisscasso fails for me, but for reasons I don't understand, I love Jackson Pollack.  In my dreams, I picture a home with a large open space that combines kitchen, dinning, and living.  It's all painted white, real white, not tinted to be an off white.  There is no clutter just essential furniture.  There is only one piece of art in the area.  It's huge, possibly a non-objective splatter of intense color that screams and dominates everything else in the house.

But the thing about art is I can pick something out that I really like, hang it perfectly and admire it, and a month later, I forget that it's even there.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Early Picasso ... the pink and blue periods, were nice.

Anyone like Salvador Dali?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Dali, is at least, interesting.  I like him.  Rubens.  Like most of Boris Vallego's work.  I guess my fav would be in the area of fantasy art.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I like Dali, and am very partial to Escher.

A lot of art is nice, but doesn't move me in any serious way.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman