News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Logic Of Science

Started by Solitary, September 15, 2013, 12:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

I am saving the link to that. I wish I could implant this information into everyone's brain.
This is a complicated topic put into plain language by a very obviously gifted lecturer. Thank you so much for posting this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

entropy

That was a pretty good video. As a survey of the issues he presents, it was generally well done. (It appears that he wanted to present the survey of those issues as a way to get students to understand what he wanted in terms of selection and analysis of science research papers he wants them to write an essay about.) But... I did find his quip about philosophers of science not understanding the scientific issues as well as they might as being somewhat ironic since I think the same could be said of his understanding of some of the philosophical issues that philosophers of science deal with. For example, he doesn't acknowledge the very difficult philosophical issues with respect to the problem of induction. Also, he seems to completely bypass the very difficult philosophical issues relating to the role of causation in science. I wouldn't expect him to thoroughly explicate those issues in a survey lecture, but I think he could have done somewhat of a better job of acknowledging the philosophical difficulties that arise around those kinds of issues.

Solomon Zorn

Got up early today. That's a lot to absorb before breakfast, but it was very interesting. Makes me wish I had a more liberal education. Thanks for the link.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com