How much is lying a part of Christianity?

Started by Jagella, March 08, 2020, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The early expansion of the Universe was so fast it requires a vastly smaller time unit, the Planck time, to break it down.

Don't worry if you don't "get this", you're just human.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Newtonian

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2020, 06:15:53 PM
The early expansion of the Universe was so fast it requires a vastly smaller time unit, the Planck time, to break it down.

Don't worry if you don't "get this", you're just human.

Indeed, this begs the question as to whether the universe started as a true singularity with no dimensions at all, or whether it started with an actual diameter smaller than planck length!

Newtonian

Hi Blackleaf!  How are you?

Sorry I lack time at the moment to respond to all your points - but you posted in reply 115:

"That quote is often shared around, but is likely fake. Regardless, why aren't you a Hindu if you recognize that Hindus are more loving than other religious groups? It's funny how people are willing to quote Gandhi like they respect his opinions, when they don't listen to anything else he says."

You were referring to where Jesus taught us to love our enemies - in his sermon on the mount at Matthew 5:44.   Gandhi did not think this was fake - in fact he did better at following what Jesus taught than most of violent Christendom.   Christendom gives Jesus lip-service, but when it comes to actual actions (which speak louder than words) their conduct in World War II (e.g. so-called 'Christians' under Hitler) they do not love their enemies.

When I lived on Long Island, N.Y. I studied the Bible with my cardiologist (we offer all people free home Bible studies) who was Hindu - he appreciated what Jesus taught and how Gandhi taught the same thing as to loving our enemies.   Btw - this is in harmony with the Hindu teaching of non-violence known as Ahimsa.   In fact, the division of Hinduism known as the Jains are one of the very few religions that do not go to war (out of respect for the sanctity of life- though they believe in reincarnation).

We do quote Gandhi in our literature btw - feel free to check out these links to articles in our literature concerning the life of Gandhi:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984242?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984241?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101990037?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984243?q=Gandhi&p=par

Brief excerpt from the latter link:

"Yet the rest of the world is also guilty of committing Gandhi’s seven social sins​â€"‘politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, education without character, commerce without morality, worship without sacrifice and science without humanity.’"

Thank you for inciting me to re-read the above myself, btw!   Some before I go back to sleep - more later!

Baruch

Quote from: Newtonian on March 25, 2020, 02:00:41 AM
Indeed, this begs the question as to whether the universe started as a true singularity with no dimensions at all, or whether it started with an actual diameter smaller than planck length!

Physics and astronomy are irrelevant.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I am always embarrassed by the depths many will go to in order to mate science with religion. Here we have Newt, obviously a bright, intelligent person who takes serious interest in science..but only how it can used to help him maintain his faith.

And in the same breath admits god couldn't beat one army because they had chariots with iron wheels.....lol...man the pretzelizing of oneself of logic and reason to maintain that so much needed mattress to comfort the insecurities and fear of death. Must be terrible in that head...bouncing around looking for any and every scrap of information that somehow can justify the lunacy that even he knows throttles logic.

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

I believe it started as a white hole, the "other end" of some supermassive black hole in another universe. It could be that this has happened endless numbers of times, each SMBH creating a new universe where it happens many times. The great overarching structure is very wild to consider.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Newtonian on March 25, 2020, 02:25:32 AM
Hi Blackleaf!  How are you?

Sorry I lack time at the moment to respond to all your points - but you posted in reply 115:

"That quote is often shared around, but is likely fake. Regardless, why aren't you a Hindu if you recognize that Hindus are more loving than other religious groups? It's funny how people are willing to quote Gandhi like they respect his opinions, when they don't listen to anything else he says."

You were referring to where Jesus taught us to love our enemies - in his sermon on the mount at Matthew 5:44.   Gandhi did not think this was fake - in fact he did better at following what Jesus taught than most of violent Christendom.   Christendom gives Jesus lip-service, but when it comes to actual actions (which speak louder than words) their conduct in World War II (e.g. so-called 'Christians' under Hitler) they do not love their enemies.

When I lived on Long Island, N.Y. I studied the Bible with my cardiologist (we offer all people free home Bible studies) who was Hindu - he appreciated what Jesus taught and how Gandhi taught the same thing as to loving our enemies.   Btw - this is in harmony with the Hindu teaching of non-violence known as Ahimsa.   In fact, the division of Hinduism known as the Jains are one of the very few religions that do not go to war (out of respect for the sanctity of life- though they believe in reincarnation).

We do quote Gandhi in our literature btw - feel free to check out these links to articles in our literature concerning the life of Gandhi:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984242?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984241?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101990037?q=Gandhi&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984243?q=Gandhi&p=par

Brief excerpt from the latter link:

"Yet the rest of the world is also guilty of committing Gandhi’s seven social sins​â€"‘politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, education without character, commerce without morality, worship without sacrifice and science without humanity.’"

Thank you for inciting me to re-read the above myself, btw!   Some before I go back to sleep - more later!

The quote I was referring to as likely fake was Gandhi's, not Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Although, I have serious doubts anything written about Jesus was true.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Like that Gandhi quote!  Atheists won't like him or MLK because both ARE religious men.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on March 27, 2020, 08:10:57 AM
Like that Gandhi quote!  Atheists won't like him or MLK because both ARE religious men.
I don't need to be a believer to appreciate art made by believers.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 27, 2020, 11:38:36 PM
Just as I don't need to be a chef to appreciate good food.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 27, 2020, 11:38:36 PM

A blind person can appreciate pictures.  If they are "thick" aka can be productively felt over by braille-trained blind people.  Can't do this with photographs.

Are you claiming "cultural appropriation"?  Atheists with Christian art ... are like British Imperialists with Indian art.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 27, 2020, 11:49:03 PM
Just as I don't need to be a chef to appreciate good food.

You need to be a good chef to cook good food.  And a chef will appreciate food more than you do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: Newtonian on March 25, 2020, 02:25:32 AMWhen I lived on Long Island, N.Y. I studied the Bible with my cardiologist (we offer all people free home Bible studies) who was Hindu - he appreciated what Jesus taught and how Gandhi taught the same thing as to loving our enemies.

I hope your Hindu cardiologist learns that the dogmas attributed to Jesus, in particular the dogmas of his bringing a "sword" and division to people and their families, have led to untold suffering. The inquisition was inspired by the belief in a wrathful god who casts those who displease him into hell. They also believed in demons and Satan, yet more pernicious superstitions attributed to Jesus. When they burned a person at the stake, they called this fiendish act an "auto-da-fé" which means "act of faith (in Christ)."

If you did not tell your Hindu friend these facts, then you told him a lie of omission.

Gregory

What is in a lie? Mary Magdalene was not a whore. Some twit misinterpreted the Bible, and it was propagated because it was a better story.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on April 06, 2020, 02:13:30 PM
What is in a lie? Mary Magdalene was not a whore. Some twit misinterpreted the Bible, and it was propagated because it was a better story.

All scripture is about "a better story".  The Bible was informally amended after the canon was closed.  And Churches reinterpret the Bible as they will.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.