How much is lying a part of Christianity?

Started by Jagella, March 08, 2020, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagella

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2020, 05:56:56 PM
Why blame the victim? Isn't that obvious?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you rephrase the question?

Anyway, I hope you agree that we should not ridicule the sick and the injured. We should ridicule the fake healers.

But--hey--I just can't resist this one. LOL

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jagella on March 14, 2020, 07:22:37 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you rephrase the question?

Well, it's obvious that they blame the victim so the money will keep rolling in.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Gregory on March 10, 2020, 03:19:40 AM
The lies that we tell ourselves are harmless enough if we are not harmed by them.
Depends on what you're lying about.  Even seemingly trivial stuff (like lying about a pregnancy) can lead to some major unforeseen problems down the road.

And arguably, opening the door and weighing hearsay stories the same as scientific evidence in general is pretty damn disasterous in the long term, no matter how innocuous it seems in the short term.

Jagella

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2020, 07:26:36 PM
Well, it's obvious that they blame the victim so the money will keep rolling in.

Oh--of course. If the fake healer takes the blame, then it would be bad for business.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jagella on March 14, 2020, 09:37:46 AM
Belief in the "sky daddy" I think in many cases is a self-deception.
That's what I said.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gregory

Newtonian

Quote from: Jagella on March 08, 2020, 05:01:50 PM
I've often wondered if at least the fundamental tenets of Christian beliefs are fabrications--lies, if you will. We should ask if the claims of the Christian religion are not honest mistakes or result from primitive superstitions but are just simply outright deceptions. Also, do Christian clergy and apologists as well as Bible scholars deliberately lie to their listeners and readers? Do creationists lie about evolution in order to lend credibility to their Christian faith?

I think that yes, Christians often do lie to advance their religion. I know of a Christian-sponsored forum that prohibits saying that another member has lied but has no rules against lying! So you can lie all you want to another member, but if you are being lied to, then you dare not point it out.

Such a rule gives liars an obvious advantage. I wonder why the Christian sponsoring that forum slants the playing field for dishonest people.

Yes, and it is why some hate my religion (Jehovah's Witnesses) because we expose the lies and deceptions taught in Christendom - like observing December 25th as the birth date of Jesus when in actuality this was a pagan observance - the Roman Saturnalia in worship of the Sun (not the Son).

Or Easter which does not come from the Bible but from ancient worship of Babylonia Ishtar which corresponds to Astarte, etc  - goddess of fertility - which is why the bunnies and eggs for example.   

Or the trinity which is not only illogical but also not taught in the Bible.

Or the immorality of the human soul (the Bible says the soul dies at the death of the person - Ezekiel 18:4,20 KJV; Ecclesiastes 3:19; 9:5,10).   Why would we need a resurrection if we have immortal souls?   Illogical to say the least!

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 16, 2020, 04:45:58 AM
Religion is nothing but a damn lie.

Atheists don't believe in damnation, so damn lies are oxymorons for them ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Newtonian on March 16, 2020, 05:38:38 AM
Yes, and it is why some hate my religion (Jehovah's Witnesses) because we expose the lies and deceptions taught in Christendom - like observing December 25th as the birth date of Jesus when in actuality this was a pagan observance - the Roman Saturnalia in worship of the Sun (not the Son).

Or Easter which does not come from the Bible but from ancient worship of Babylonia Ishtar which corresponds to Astarte, etc  - goddess of fertility - which is why the bunnies and eggs for example.   

Or the immorality of the human soul (the Bible says the soul dies at the death of the person - Ezekiel 18:4,20 KJV; Ecclesiastes 3:19; 9:5,10).   Why would we need a resurrection if we have immortal souls?   Illogical to say the least!

JW is an interesting variant of the vast diversity of Christian thought and practice.  I wish you happiness and further growth (whatever that may be).  There have been many point-by-point criticisms of the Bible.  Some of which are valid (IMHO).  At best, the Bible is an inspired work of men (and women) that has consistently fascinated people for nearly 2000 years (much to the annoyance of the residuals of atheist writers).  My favorite Biblical criticism is musical ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Gotta love your use of the word 'illogical'.  Your religion is just that.  Pure and simple--your beliefs are just that, illogical and what you place your beliefs upon is a fiction.  And of course, your bible (and all others, for there is not just one bible, but a multitude) can be used to prove anything.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

I find it interesting how easily theists criticize other religions, and yet are so inept at seeing the problems with their own choice of fiction.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Jagella

Quote from: Newtonian on March 16, 2020, 05:38:38 AMYes, and it is why some hate my religion (Jehovah's Witnesses)...

Don't feel bad. Many groups have their critics and enemies. We atheists, for example, are seen by many Americans as no better than rapists.

Quote...because we expose the lies and deceptions taught in Christendom -

I do that too. One difference between us, however, is that I do not make a special exception for Jehovah's Witnesses. Their lies and deceptions are every bit as bad as any other Christian sect and should be exposed too.

Quote...like observing December 25th as the birth date of Jesus when in actuality this was a pagan observance - the Roman Saturnalia in worship of the Sun (not the Son).

Many Christians nowadays are well aware of the pagan origins of Christmas. I suppose most Christians nevertheless like the idea of celebrating the birth of Christ, and since the date and circumstances of Jesus' birth are unknown, December 25 is as good as any other day of the year.

QuoteOr Easter which does not come from the Bible but from ancient worship of Babylonia Ishtar which corresponds to Astarte, etc  - goddess of fertility - which is why the bunnies and eggs for example.   

While eggs and bunnies in baskets may be the work of the Devil, it doesn't appear to harm anybody's faith in the resurrection of Christ.

QuoteOr the trinity which is not only illogical but also not taught in the Bible.

I understand that some Christians interpret parts of the Bible as laying out the triune God. Based on my own study of the Bible, it posits three gods: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

QuoteOr the immorality of the human soul (the Bible says the soul dies at the death of the person - Ezekiel 18:4,20 KJV; Ecclesiastes 3:19; 9:5,10).   Why would we need a resurrection if we have immortal souls?   Illogical to say the least!

The Bible doesn't need to be logical; it just needs to convert people.

But as far as life after death is concerned, Jesus seemed to believe in it as we read in Luke 16:23-25.

Jagella

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 16, 2020, 12:33:52 PM
I find it interesting how easily theists criticize other religions, and yet are so inept at seeing the problems with their own choice of fiction.

The Watchtower, the Jehovah's Witnesses Vatican, is notorious for its demanding that its followers forego life-saving blood transfusions. It is also alleged that the Watchtower has systematically covered up child abuse and sexual assault within its ranks.

So just to be fair, I will avow that atheists sometimes lie and are involved in corruption. I do not claim that we are necessarily better than any other group. We just don't believe the lie that gods exist.

Newtonian

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 16, 2020, 12:33:52 PM

Theists?   Please understand Jehovah's Witnesses are a separate and distinct religion very different from most other religions.   You need be specific for me to respond better.   

Gandhi saw one of the glaring problems with Christendom (he was a Hindu) - their claiming to follow Jesus and their failure to love their enemies as Jesus commanded in Matthew 5:44.

Their are many rationalizations and deceptions offered by Christendom but they simply do not answer why they are willing to slaughter their enemies in war while showing love to their enemies!

Jehovah's Witnesses do not go to war.  We do actually (not just in word) follow what Jesus taught.

And love is more important than doctrine.

Newtonian

Quote from: Jagella on March 16, 2020, 01:34:27 PM
The Watchtower, the Jehovah's Witnesses Vatican, is notorious for its demanding that its followers forego life-saving blood transfusions. It is also alleged that the Watchtower has systematically covered up child abuse and sexual assault within its ranks.

So just to be fair, I will avow that atheists sometimes lie and are involved in corruption. I do not claim that we are necessarily better than any other group. We just don't believe the lie that gods exist.

Blood transfusions - another subject - but who is lying?   Have you researched the relative mortality rate for the same medical proceedures in hospitals using blood transfusions with those who operate without using blood?   Or do you just believe the deceptions of our enemies (not you - I meant Christendom)?

I could post documentation proving bloodless surgery is the "gold standard" for skilled surgeons - I will give only one link on this for now:

https://internationalsurgery.org/doi/full/10.9738/1257.1

Excerpt:

"Bloodless medicine and surgery programs represent the gold standard in blood conservation. Blood conservation is evidence based, and it results in faster recovery, lower morbidity, lower mortality, shorter hospital stay, lower cost, and better patient (and physician) satisfaction while avoiding the hazards of allogeneic blood transfusion."

I have personally had many surgeries without blood transfusions - I could detail this if you would like.   For example: 3 stents in arteries (left anterior descending; right coronary; Carotid) and an artificial aortic valve (TAVR).