Is poetry dead or is it just me?

Started by Gregory, March 06, 2020, 05:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 05:53:44 PM
It's probably just me.

Better than "Am I dead or it is just poetry?"

Americans don't value poetry at all.  Because you can't make easy money.  Chinese culture thinks that their poetry is their greatest art, particularly the 1300 year old kind, that they still recite (in modern dialect) and study.  Do the French value poetry?  Or do they just wrap their 250 kinds of cheese in it?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I like the poetry of Ogden Nash - another Nash with a beautiful mind!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gregory

Ogden Nash is not funny, he is seriously old hat.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 06:19:03 PM

This is old hat ...

空山不見人
但聞人語響
è¿"å½±å...¥æ·±æž—
復ç...§é'è‹"上
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 06:19:03 PM
So? I'm an old guy, so I like old hat.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 06, 2020, 07:01:26 PM
So? I'm an old guy, so I like old hat.

Bowler, fedora, summer straw, cowboy, baseball etc?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 05:53:44 PM
It's probably just me.

It's pretty well dead in America, but to be fair I think American literary tradition has always leaned more towards novels than poetry... even our poets have been more storytellers than poets imo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I don't do poetry much, either reading or writing. But that's not because poetry is dead, merely that I'm not literate enough to care about it.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Poetry is like beauty.  It is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't read much poetry but I do read some.  I dislike poetry for the most part.  But then, I really like a tiny bit of it.  Gibran's The Prophet is a sort of manual of how to approach life for me and I read it often.  McKuen and Farlinghetti I like quite a bit, but rarely read.  Poetry is not dead--it is just as much alive for me as it ever was.  When I read give me SiFi.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 07, 2020, 08:35:42 PM
Poetry is like beauty.  It is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't read much poetry but I do read some.  I dislike poetry for the most part.  But then, I really like a tiny bit of it.  Gibran's The Prophet is a sort of manual of how to approach life for me and I read it often.  McKuen and Farlinghetti I like quite a bit, but rarely read.  Poetry is not dead--it is just as much alive for me as it ever was.  When I read give me SiFi.

Gibran is such an underrated writer, even though "The Prophet" it's one of the most popular books in human history.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on March 07, 2020, 10:34:11 PM
Gibran is such an underrated writer, even though "The Prophet" it's one of the most popular books in human history.
Yes, I agree.  Considering he was a Christian, I am still a little amazed that I even read the guy.  But subtract the word 'God' from his writings and he makes great sense. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 07, 2020, 11:02:38 PM
Yes, I agree.  Considering he was a Christian, I am still a little amazed that I even read the guy.  But subtract the word 'God' from his writings and he makes great sense.

Like reading French literature in English translation.  Pretending Shakespeare wasn't 400 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gregory

I am dead as a poet
maggots crawl through my brain
seriously lacking