LGBT acceptance declining among youth

Started by jorgoth, February 28, 2020, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorgoth

QuoteYoung people are growing less tolerant of LGBTQ individuals, a jarring turn for a generation traditionally considered embracing and open, a survey released Monday shows.

The number of Americans 18 to 34 who are comfortable interacting with LGBTQ people slipped from 53% in 2017 to 45% in 2018 â€" the only age group to show a decline, according to the annual Accelerating Acceptance report. And that is down from 63% in 2016.

Driving the dilution of acceptance are young women whose overall comfort levels plunged from 64% in 2017 to 52% in 2018, says the survey conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD. 

“We count on the narrative that young people are more progressive and tolerant,” John Gerzema, CEO of The Harris Poll, told USA TODAY. “These numbers are very alarming and signal a looming social crisis in discrimination.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/24/lgbtq-acceptance-millennials-decline-glaad-survey/1503758001/

My theories for this:

1. The T. There are so many people who don't buy into the T and think it's a hoax.

2. This youth cohort is the most non-white in American history, non-whites generally have much less appetite for the alphabet soup. There's a reason why most murders of trans-identifying males is black on black.

Munch

If this is true, which I have doubts about, but if it is, I'd say it comes down to the overbearing toxic nature of certain progressives today, screaming about how everyone needs to be progressive and only think a certain way, and this causes the everyday young person to act in defiance since the messages are so heavy handed.

It's funny how the article talks about toxic culture, when that toxicity is as much part of forced progressivism as the anti-progressives. If you keep demanding everyone needs to accept certain social, sexual or even religious lifestyles or your labeled as an 'ist', then it's no wonder younger people get pissed off being told they are an 'ist' for not having those views 110%.

You need to integrate ideals into society slowly and productively, not forcing people to be a certain way.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

At my age, I wouldn't presume to know why young people are less tolerant of LGBTQ people but I wouldn't expect tolerance to move only in one direction. History indicates that tolerance for LGBTQ people ebbs and flows.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 29, 2020, 03:53:56 AM
At my age, I wouldn't presume to know why young people are less tolerant of LGBTQ people but I wouldn't expect tolerance to move only in one direction. History indicates that tolerance for LGBTQ people ebbs and flows.

The ancient Greeks would agree.  The idea of linear up hill progress is a conceit of the 18th century.  I would also question any poll, since they are always politically motivated.  How many 100,000 young people were interviewed today vs 20 years ago?  Small sample bias.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on February 29, 2020, 04:31:05 AM
I would also question any poll, since they are always politically motivated.  How many 100,000 young people were interviewed today vs 20 years ago?  Small sample bias.

Agreed. I saw that this was a Harris poll done specifically for GLAAD. One of the first questions one must ask when looking at a study or poll is "why was this conducted?"

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 29, 2020, 04:40:08 AM
Agreed. I saw that this was a Harris poll done specifically for GLAAD. One of the first questions one must ask when looking at a study or poll is "why was this conducted?"

Millennials think that Gen Z is Republican (I doubt this) so Gen Z needs to be sent to reeducation camps to make them align better to their Millennial masters.  Bwahaha … the Baby Boomers were so successful in brainwashing Gen X and the Millennials, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

It doesn't particularly surprise me... It's something I've certainly noticed.

The new generation is dumb as fucking rocks, and I know it's not their fault but the education systems... My mom subs (after teaching for 26 years), and she has had entire classes of 8th graders who literally can't solve 2 times 2 or fifth /sixth graders who are borderline illiterate.

When you come from that background, it's not surprising you would be a bigot, that's pretty par for the course.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

So much more sophisticated to be a snooty PhD.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SvZurich

In my experience, acceptance has significantly grown over the last decade for all members of the spectrum.  Look at how damn many identify as non-binary (neither male or female), trans, queer, asexual, etc. now.  The youth at UNLV didn't bat an eye at that when I was attending there.  Compared to the "fun" I had over the last few decades, and I am amazed at how accepting youth have become.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

SGOS

Quote from: SvZurich on February 29, 2020, 09:59:36 PM
In my experience, acceptance has significantly grown over the last decade for all members of the spectrum.  Look at how damn many identify as non-binary (neither male or female), trans, queer, asexual, etc. now.  The youth at UNLV didn't bat an eye at that when I was attending there.  Compared to the "fun" I had over the last few decades, and I am amazed at how accepting youth have become.
Oh my yes.  Saying the youth support of sexual choices is fading is based on what?  Let's say you can spot a slight change in direction in the last month.  Maybe it's real, or maybe it's just two polls, and then focus on that anomaly.  Then you say, "Oh look, it's fading," and disregard the trend of the last 50 years as not significant.  I've seen this tactic used in other political debates too.

Munch

I don't believe there's a decline, I just think media has become so thin skinned that they just take things said in jest by people from a younger demographic on so heavily when nothings meant by it, like a straight friend calling a gay friend 'a big old faggot' is done to rift but not be malicious, but the media will perceive it as malicious.

People today are more free about what they say, despite online platforms trying to control it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

jorgoth

It's funny how it's always the ideas that favor weirdo perverts that are "progressive".

aitm

I have preached for years that it is easier to coax a puppy on a leash then to drag them. People are more willingly to accept on their own sweet time, asking acceptance is touchy....demanding it....certain to fail no matter the cause.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason Harvestdancer

It is part of the "intersectionality" mess.  It isn't just LGBTQIAAPPQ, it is the whole god damn progressive stack in which this is a part.

And the trans are fucking it up for everyone with demands for verbal policing AND dominating womens sports.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on March 01, 2020, 06:38:50 PM
It is part of the "intersectionality" mess.  It isn't just LGBTQIAAPPQ, it is the whole god damn progressive stack in which this is a part.

And the trans are fucking it up for everyone with demands for verbal policing AND dominating womens sports.

Tranies are sabotours of Feminism and LGB … those folks don't want anything to do with the trans-dumb.  My guess transgender is part of a Republican conspiracy.  This is particularly acute in GB, where the Left want anyone who wants to, to simply declare themselves trans, without a medical diagnosis or treatment.  Even non-feminist women are outraged.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.