Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory

"Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future"

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 08:35:30 PM
Into the future"

We approach the future, but never get there.  Tomorrow is the future, but when I wake up tomorrow, it is the present.  We are always present, until we are not.  The past is pride and regret.  The future is hope and fear.  Time is about human emotions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Neither the past, present or future exist in any real way. The universe is constantly becoming. What will it become? Only time will tell, its hairdresser surely won't.
God Not Found

SGOS

" A world without time; Isn't it beautiful?  -Kaecilius

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 29, 2020, 01:55:03 PM
Neither the past, present or future exist in any real way. The universe is constantly becoming. What will it become? Only time will tell, its hairdresser surely won't.

Look up Black Hole No Hair theorem.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I prefer my black holes to be bald.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 29, 2020, 08:09:44 PM
I prefer my black holes to be bald.

TMI.  Do you use Nair or a weed whacker? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SvZurich

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 08:35:30 PM
Into the future"

I want to fly like an eagle.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 29, 2020, 08:15:27 PM
TMI.  Do you use Nair or a weed whacker? ;-)

I don't use a weed whacker, but I use whacky weed.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2020, 05:38:35 PM
I don't use a weed whacker, but I use whacky weed.

Lowers the pain while you have Biden pull the hairs out one by one?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I find the block universe theory interesting. The universe is a giant block of all the things that ever happen at any time and at any place. On this view, the past, present and future all exist â€" and are equally real. Time doesn't pass and "past" and "future" are relative.

In other words, in a block universe, there is no specific present moment, and "past" and "future" moments are relative. Think about the idea of "here". I am here. You, while reading this, can truly say "I am here", even though your "here" is different to mine. On the block universe model, talk about the "present" or "now" works just like talk of "here". Remember last week when you said to your friend, who was late arriving for coffee, "now you're here"; or when, long ago, Caesar said, "I am now crossing the Rubicon"? These claims are both true. That's because all it means to talk about the present, or now, is to talk about the place in time where you happen to be. Since we are always located wherever we are (that's trivially true), everyone is located in the present, just as everyone is located at the place they call "here". According to the block universe view, time or temporal relations of "earlier than" and "later than" exist. These relations hold regardless of where anyone is located.

So, suppose Bert the dinosaur is located earlier than Sally the dog. That relation between Bert and Sally holds, regardless of whether we are located earlier than Bert or later than Sally. Bearing this in mind, it is possible to see how to make sense of the idea of past and future. Just as on this model "now" picks out whatever time I happen to be located at, "past" picks out any time (or events at those times) that are earlier than my location, and "future" picks out any times or events that are later than my location.

It is possible that our perception of time is a neurologic adaptation, a product of stimulus and memory. We experience a stimulus, which we perceive as the present. There are organisms that probably only experience stimulus-response and therefore only perceive the present. We evolved memory, which is how we perceive the passage of time. One stimulus is different than the stimulus before, which is different than the one before that. Our brains haven't evolved a process to perceive the future, even though it exists. An analogy of this is walking backward down a road, where we see where we are and where we have been not where we are going even though all of the road exists.

https://youtu.be/idsw99SSwKc

Unbeliever

I've read that some cultures see the "future" as "behind" us, and the "past" as in "front."

http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~nunez/web/articles/Taipei%20Times%20-%20archives.pdf

It's an interesting concept, this block time idea:

https://turingchurch.net/time-travel-through-extra-dimensions-in-the-bulk-98a09bb98393

I wonder, though, how a quantum object can have a "world line" when it has no definite location.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 02, 2020, 01:38:41 PM
I've read that some cultures see the "future" as "behind" us, and the "past" as in "front."

http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~nunez/web/articles/Taipei%20Times%20-%20archives.pdf

It's an interesting concept, this block time idea:

https://turingchurch.net/time-travel-through-extra-dimensions-in-the-bulk-98a09bb98393

I wonder, though, how a quantum object can have a "world line" when it has no definite location.

Correct.  The idea of seeing the future as positive (I am just getting older) in a society where nothing ever changes, made no sense.  People were oriented toward tradition.  So you look forward into the past, to learn how to be more of the same.  500 years ago that all changed, for some people.  The world and universe expanded in a giant way, and change became the norm, not the exception.  And with the expectation (particularly among the enterpreneurs) that the change will be more positive than negative, people had something to look forward to, and tradition seemed to be counter-productive.  Then came Future Shock …

All ideas about quantum mechanics, are analogies, only the math is exact.  Any visualization of the math is misleading.  So no world-line.  Until you measure it, the electron has no definite position or momentum.  This is the death of "realism".  That Plato said, that the real world is different from the observed world, and is a more perfect, more rational world.  It simply isn't true.  The real story of
Schroedinger's Cat is that until you open the box, you don't even know if there is a cat in there or not!

Handedness in other societies is different.  You have a cardinal direction, usually East.  Not North, which became more important when the compass became universal.  In Easting culture, your right hand is slang for South, and your left hand is slang for North.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.