Time: Are You For or Against?

Started by SGOS, February 09, 2020, 07:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 09, 2020, 06:05:37 PM
The only way it could ever work is if it were like Twilight Histories where you're just punching a hole in spacetime leading to a parallel timeline.

Per multiverse theory, there are infinite parallel universes.  And per Nietzsche, there is infinite recurrence of one universe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 09, 2020, 04:57:58 PM
Baruch will correct me of course, but it seems to me in my limited study of philosophers that most, especially during and after the “enlightenment” come from families that are adequately wealthy that they never really needed to work, but spent their time inventing new words to explain things to each other in a battle for supremacy of word entanglement. When crowds used to gather to listen to them, this eventually, due to mass confusion, simply walked away shaking their heads while the philosophers continued their battle of enlightening each other while the public lost interest. This explains why today philosophy classes are attended by people who have no noticeable talent other than pontificating on thoughts nobody else gives a shit about. They assure us they know something but work very hard to make it so we could not understand what they are saying, thus they can claim multiple versions depending on whom they are talking to and each one is different but no one would know.

I bet you write good fan-fiction (nothing wrong with that).  "Newton's Law" by Anderson etc ... was an alternative Newtonian biography.  Can't seem to get to the URL directly, but here is a web review ...

https://webcomicoverlook.wordpress.com/2010/11/08/one-punch-reviews-36-newtons-law/
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 09, 2020, 08:11:58 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure conservation laws rule out backward time travel, so we'll never have to worry about it.

?taht touba erus uoy erA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 10, 2020, 01:48:09 PM
Now they have something called time crystals:

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-time-crystals-are-a-new-crazy-state-of-matter-and-now-we-can-create-them

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-theoretical-type-time-crystal-could-run-without-outside-help

Yeah, read 5 years ago, about German experiments with doped diamonds, for quantum computing.  In crystalline arrays, all sorts of weird stuff happens, that does't happen in all the non-crystalline states (glass, liquid, gas, plasma).  Didn't read back then, this additional application.  Not just continuity, but accurate repetition is very desired.  A 10x greater stability in an oscillation is ultimately transformative from metrology out to the rest of science and technology.  Because of existing stabile oscillation technology, we can accurately see jumps in the rotation of the Earth due to core motions and earthquakes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Well it didn't take long for me to not understand what that report said.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2020, 04:15:47 PM
Well it didn't take long for me to not understand what that report said.

Auto-generated-vibration.  Usually, we take a man made quartz crystal (called a "crystal" in radio) to ensure that the primary frequency of a radio transmitter is stable.  It has to be stimulated from the outside.  Guess this new thing doesn't require outside stimulation.  You still have to deal with entropy either way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SvZurich

Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Baruch

Quote from: SvZurich on February 10, 2020, 10:41:45 PM
I am at the mercy of time.

One of those things that even good ideas or material goods won't change.  When your time comes ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2020, 01:33:49 PM
And time is merciless!

Ha, you say nature is neutral.  Is that why you have a hard time parking?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Nature is a nattering nabob of neutrality.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2020, 02:33:48 PM
Nature is a nattering nabob of neutrality.

Spiro T Agnew is the son of Mother Goose?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.