News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 12, 2021, 09:17:39 AM
Alright, if Karen on Facebook (thrice-divorced soccer mom and lover of minions memes, especially as they pertain to daydrinking) can outmeme Stefan Cockrane the third, esquire - a guy who pulls down 120k/year to convincingly make BP look like a green company, we have a huge problem.

I've read that a few times and before I got it, I was like what, huh...then I got it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

This latest episode of “proof humanity is stupid” simply amplifies the fact that only a few humans are intelligent, the rest, as since times past, are simply followers. Anyone could build a hand basket, but the genius of the world 100,000 years ago was the only one capable of “inventing” it. The rest just walked around scratching their ass and went, “hey, look at that”.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on September 14, 2021, 07:40:27 AM
This latest episode of “proof humanity is stupid” simply amplifies the fact that only a few humans are intelligent, the rest, as since times past, are simply followers. Anyone could build a hand basket, but the genius of the world 100,000 years ago was the only one capable of “inventing” it. The rest just walked around scratching their ass and went, “hey, look at that”.
That is the good old bell curve. Half the people are more stupid than the average.  I will tell anyone that I don't know diddly squat because I am just smart enough to have an idea about how little I do know. I scored a 134 IQ...kinda scary looking at this chart. I used to love hiding in my office and solving deep technical problems that plagued the company for months or years. I was way more effective when not "multi-tasking", however that behavior was not encouraged and almost everyone ended up like headless chickens during office hours...thus I did my real and best work when off the clock and my normal work hours were spent verifying my thoughts in between thousands of mostly needless interruptions.

People who walk around so profoundly sure of their fucked-up beliefs are simply not smart enough to know how stupid they are. It is the ultimate irony.

Susan

Hi y'all,

I had one of these days what I normally would call an "ordinary thought", but when I said this at a bar, everyone was surprised (granted, they probably are even bigger dumbasses than myself  :asmile:). So, what I said: "Did you know AIDS and COVID are similar?". "In what sense?", they basically replied. I answered: "In the sense that they both are diseases caused by viruses; while HIV causes AIDS, SARS-CoV-2 causes COVID-19". IOW, I said that HIV = SARS-CoV-2, and AIDS = COVID-19; not that they are literally the same thing (obviously, that would be nonsense), but that they could replace each other perfectly in their "functions", so as to say.

I really don't know why anyone would be surprised at all by this, because it seems quite obvious to me.

So that made me wonder: was my claim technically correct?

Susan

Quote from: Susan on September 14, 2021, 07:55:46 PM
So that made me wonder: was my claim technically correct?

Or to put it better: is my analogy/comparison accurate?

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on September 14, 2021, 07:40:27 AMThis latest episode of “proof humanity is stupid” simply amplifies the fact that only a few humans are intelligent, the rest, as since times past, are simply followers. Anyone could build a hand basket, but the genius of the world 100,000 years ago was the only one capable of “inventing” it. The rest just walked around scratching their ass and went, “hey, look at that”.
The wheel only has to be invented once.  Because you don't need to, you know...

Hydra009

Statistics is tough.

Hydra009

In the US, a whopping 90% of atheists are vaccinated (kudos to those here on AF who made responsible decisions)

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 17, 2021, 12:38:02 AM
In the US, a whopping 90% of atheists are vaccinated (kudos to those here on AF who made responsible decisions)
Of all the 11 categories atheists stand above all others including agnostics and unaffiliated who are still among the most vaccinated categories.  White Evangelicals are at the very bottom, below all other Protestants, including Black Evangelicals who I thought would be lower due to poverty.  The impression is that the results are not caused by access.

This is reflected in my area of the Bible Belt.  My hiking partner is an evangelical, but has stopped going to church altogether because no one is masked and her minister tells everyone not to wear masks.  She brought this up to her minister before she stopped going.

But even she is in the same boat as other white Evangelicals who are at 57% vaccinated, which is higher than I would have guessed.  From the last survey I read, which included categories based on political affiliation, the category of Republican is the worst, even worse than White Evangelical.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2021, 07:17:29 AMThe impression is that the results are not caused by access.
Of course it's not caused by access.  It's free and everywhere.  Hell, I stepped inside a Walmart and was informed in all sorts of ways that they have the vaccine and there's no wait, so I could get it in 5 minutes if I wanted.  Access isn't the problem.  The problem, of course, is ideological.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 17, 2021, 08:53:40 AM
Of course it's not caused by access.  It's free and everywhere.
Yes, the access issue was an earlier concern addressed at times in the media, but it's no longer true, and is evident in my area.  In the beginning, it was most definitely an issue.  I had to drive over 50 miles to get my first shot, and my State Health District was the third least vaccinated district in the state.  It probably still is, but the time of difficult access only lasted a short while.  About two months after my first shot, I could walk into my nearest Walmart and get vaccinated without an appointment.  Even in my contaminated environment, access is no longer a problem.  It's an ideological issue.

SGOS

I'm going hiking in an hour with my trail mate.  I'm wondering if I should bring up this survey to her.  We get along, because neither of us preaches to the other, and each of us gladly refrains from discussing God or religion.  I don't think discussing it would be helpful to our relationship, but I'm really tempted.

Cassia

As for the other side...you can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason their way into.

drunkenshoe

I've read about the Evangelists, they are in bad shape and all around. They've reported that we have 10 million unvaccinated. And around 300 death a day. They had their big protest a week ago. Meanwhile we can't get mom and dad the 4th vax. (The second biontech)

I think this moronic resistance will be worse now babies with the 6 month covid vax. On the other hand, if babies start to die, maybe things would change. How's that for a way out? *Headache.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

90% of the flemish population too, huray.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.