News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 05, 2021, 02:45:16 PM
You mean to tell me that we must study history to avoid making the same mistakes?  I always thought that saying was a load of crap.  It's an ideal, but in my experience, we just keep making the same mistakes, and each time we do, people think it's different this time around.
I love it when politicians tell us they are going to pass a law so whatever the subject is--so it can never happen again!  No matter what, it always happens again---and again........and again.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

You mean to tell me that we must study history to avoid making the same mistakes?  I always thought that saying was a load of crap.  It's an ideal, but in my experience, we just keep making the same mistakes, and each time we do, people think it's different this time around.

It's a load of crap. (In my opinion at least.) I was more thinking along the lines of 'basic human behaviour may not be rooted in what we think' because 'learning and knowing; knowledge and information; memory and human intellect do not work the way we think' blah blah...kind of stuff.

(I had a bet with myself about this post. "You can't write this under a paragraph you moron, if you try your brain will leak out from your ears, go and sleep."  :victory: )
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Biffster

“Don’t make the same mistake twice.” Hmmm. Kind of implies a third mistake, doesn’t it? First you make the mistake. Then you make the same mistake. Then the make the same mistake twice. Three mistakes total.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Updates:

50% of Americans are now vaccinated against covid.  That number is expected to rise as workplaces and the military are starting to mandate vaccination.  Coulda woulda shoulda done that months ago, but now that it's clear that we can't coast through this like we have in the past, people are finally starting to take a hardline about this stuff.  'Bout time.

NC is back up to 4k cases/day after bottoming out at ~300 cases/day just a little over a month ago.  So basically, it's like early December all over again.  :'(

The South now looks distinctly sicker than the North.

A couple hotspots in Louisiana and Texas report 1 new case per 46 people in the last 2 weeks.  I'm no mathematician, but those don't look like good odds.  Especially when you roll those dice twice a month indefinitely.

drunkenshoe

Meanwhile, here a group company declared that they will fire anyone who refuse to be vaccinated by some date in September. Not sure, what will happen because with everything else going on here, but I hope it will catch on.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

In NC, over 1 million people have gotten covid so far.  That's 1 in 10.  I feel like I'm surviving literal decimation around here.

Hydra009

Republicans busting out Pascal's Wager (if all you have is a hammer...)

If Fox News had been around during polio, Americans would still be dying from polio and they'd cheer it on.  Traitors.

Cassia

I imagine a database of American DEAD anti vaxer/maskers and their idiotic stories would take some effort to compile but it might be an international best-seller, LOL. Would that be cruel? Plenty of material to work with.

SGOS

Yeah, I suppose it might be cruel, but it would also be valuable.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 11, 2021, 09:19:33 AM
Republicans busting out Pascal's Wager (if all you have is a hammer...)

If Fox News had been around during polio, Americans would still be dying from polio and they'd cheer it on.  Traitors.

I really don't have a more accurate word for them than traitors... literally on every issue whatever gets Americans killed they are not just in favor of but enthusiastically and dogmatically so.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

The anti-vax uncle of the gf bought a crossbow to defend his gold coins from the secret world order's corona-police, who coincidentally can control the weather with drones and caused all the recent flooding the walloons and the forest fires in Greece.

You wouldn't believe how little I'm exaggerating here.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 11, 2021, 12:46:50 PMThe anti-vax uncle of the gf bought a crossbow to defend his gold coins from the secret world order's corona-police, who coincidentally can control the weather with drones and caused all the recent flooding the walloons and the forest fires in Greece.

You wouldn't believe how little I'm exaggerating here.
What happened to people to make them this way?  Were people always this way and I just didn't notice it until adulthood?  I used to think adults more or less had things together.  I mean, the lights are on, tap water flows cold and clean, and the trains run on time, so I figured adults must generally be pretty smart.

I talked to an otherwise smart and admirable person the other day and she got fully vaccinated (only because it was required) but she thinks this delta second wave stuff is a "scam" to re-institute mask mandates and other restrictions.  Apparently, the hospitals didn't get the memo that this is all fake because they're choked with unvaccinated delta victims right now.

Show of hands, who wants to announce to the public yet another round of burdensome restrictions?  That'd be a tough job even if it were vitally necessary, imagine doing that for no good reason at all.  To become an object of public ire at best and a target of crazies at worst.  Who wants that job?

Mr.Obvious

I do think corona's isolating influence alongside a cultural shift had left many doubting themselves and their place in the grander scheme of things, leading to a surge in demand for clear answers that play to self-worth and the maturation of your own intellect and ego.

On the other hand, as my father has said since he was a young man: 'son, three out of four people are idiots'.
( he said bimbos, but that doesn't translate properly.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cassia

A quote from a Florida healthcare worker at an urgent care center..

A flurry of calls came in, as usual, and we placed as many on the schedule as our skeleton crew of staff could handle. When I looked up I was shocked by the sight of a panicked crowd of people who had packed themselves, unmasked, into our locked alcove past the signs that read "Call From Your Car for Registration". All of them were waving, tapping on the glass, their mouths moving in silent protest.

We kept answering the phones, allowing our nurse to inform them as she weeded out the first patient from the crowd to allow her in. Several of them hurled insults at her as they left. When I informed a gentleman on the phone that he'd have to wait an hour, he screamed, "You bitch! You bitch! You bitch! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" and hung up on me. Right. Okay. On to the next patient.

"I've been waiting since 7 o'clock, and now you tell me I have to wait another hour?! That's why you have only 1 star!" (click...dial tone.)

"I've been waiting a half an hour! This is ridiculous! Can't you just put me on a list?!"
"Well, thanks! I guess we'll all just die from it." (click)

"Okay, I'll wait till tomorrow. In the mean time, I'm going back to the office, where I'll be spreading it around." (click)