News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

It seems kind of odd that there are laws against murder, but not against spreading the virus through the reckless endangerment of avoiding vaccinations, which is far bigger cause of death than murder.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on July 27, 2021, 08:09:59 AM
It seems kind of odd that there are laws against murder, but not against spreading the virus through the reckless endangerment of avoiding vaccinations, which is far bigger cause of death than murder.

I mostly agree, but also... that sets a kinda uncomfortable precedent on the governments' ability to oppress people.

Our freedoms and way of life are all at the whim of rich assholes, as it has been for all of human history. Relatively speaking, we've got it unbelievably good, and I don't want to see that whittled away anymore by the aristocracy finding one more excuse to oppress us. They have made enough excuses as it is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 27, 2021, 08:14:03 AM
Our freedoms and way of life are all at the whim of rich assholes, as it has been for all of human history. Relatively speaking, we've got it unbelievably good, and I don't want to see that whittled away anymore by the aristocracy finding one more excuse to oppress us. They have made enough excuses as it is.
On the other hand, the rich assholes of corporate America do not favor any government intervention in a public health crisis that doesn't feed their greed.  Even though the best thing that could happen would be to get the pandemic over with, they remain silent, because they don't want to take a stand against the Republican Party that puts the most butter on their bread.  And right now the strongest card in the Republican playbook is the stupidity card.

There is nothing wrong with regulating freedoms that pose a threat to the health and welfare of others.

Hydra009

The pandemic has absolutely gutted mom-and-pop stores while billionaire-led companies have plenty of cash to stay afloat.

Shiranu

QuoteEven though the best thing that could happen would be to get the pandemic over with, they remain silent, because they don't want to take a stand against the Republican Party that puts the most butter on their bread.

To be honest I really just don't believe this is true; I believe most of those executives probably, all in all, buy into that GQP, Conservative, Ayn Rand/Reagan ideology bullshit full heartedly. Why wouldn't they? They grew up being taught it, they live (to themselves) an extremely successful life that proves it is a valid ideology... and frankly, you don't have to be a very smart person to exploit the work of others for your own gain.

I would go so far as to say that is a sign of a very dull and stunted mind, the exact type that would buy into anti-vax bullshit.

QuoteThere is nothing wrong with regulating freedoms that pose a threat to the health and welfare of others.

Who decides what is a threat to the health and welfare of others?  Scientists? We have already seen how much the government listens to them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Hydra009

QuoteIt’s tempting to think that vaccine hesitancy can be overcome simply by taking false information out of circulation. It’s especially tempting to the sorts of highly educated people who make up the national media and political landscapes. People are rational, we think, and so if they are exposed to the right facts, they will reach enlightenment. At the same time, however, much of the discussion around misinformation seems to rest on a conflicting assumption, never stated aloud, that people simply cannot be trusted; that misinformation has an almost mystical power to overcome the intellect of any average Joe exposed to it, at which point it’s no use showing him the facts. Of course, neither notion is correct. People make decisions and form beliefs for all kinds of reasons, most of which have little to do with scientific evidence: gut feelings, partisanship, religious values, and so on. But they also don’t credulously believe every false rumor that appears on their feed. There are many other factors at play.

QuoteAt least in the US, vaccine hesitancy appears to be a largely top-down partisan phenomenon, in which public behavior is influenced by elite messaging. As of last month, just over 10 percent of adult Democrats had not been vaccinated, compared to nearly 50 percent of Republicans, according to multiple surveys.

QuoteResearch has found that the biggest predictor of whether Americans view Covid-19 as a threat is not their scientific literacy or demographics, but whether they trust Fox News and Breitbart over CNN and The New York Times.
https://www.wired.com/story/lets-keep-vaccine-misinformation-problem-in-perspective/

Cassia

....and a former bandmate of mine is in the ICU fighting to breathe. Not even an anti-vaxer really...just negligent.

aitm

My wife is so far down the rabbit hole I wonder if buying a million dollar insurance policy would look suspicious……
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on July 29, 2021, 07:50:25 PM
My wife is so far down the rabbit hole I wonder if buying a million dollar insurance policy would look suspicious……

5G or vax is not working kinda?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on July 29, 2021, 07:50:25 PM
That would be a deal breaker for me. I have developed such a low tolerance for nonsense I doubt I could ever even rejoin the workforce. And to think I used to find conspiracy stuff and politicking amusing. You know back in the X-file days. I never considered that it would become normal to fall for it with millions adopting it as a religion. Thanks internet.

Biffster

Quote from: Cassia on July 30, 2021, 07:58:18 AM
That would be a deal breaker for me. I have developed such a low tolerance for nonsense I doubt I could ever even rejoin the workforce. And to think I used to find conspiracy stuff and politicking amusing. You know back in the X-file days. I never considered that it would become normal to fall for it with millions adopting it as a religion. Thanks internet.
That’s the thing when a conspiracy theory reaches a critical mass, like say, the Republican Party of the USA. People subscribe to outlandish theories because they’re worried about being ostracized if they don’t. I daily have arguments online with Covid-deniers and anti-vaxxers who are far more plentiful than they should be.

SGOS

I've always believed the appeal of conspiracy theories is feeling like one is part of an insider group that is privy to knowledge that is not available to ordinary citizens.  In the case of critical mass conspiracies, the same psychological dynamic applies, even though the conspiracy is very main stream, but here the knowledge appears to be unknown to the media, science, FBI, or the CIA, so one still feels he is part of an elite circle with special knowledge.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 31, 2021, 05:32:53 PM
I've always believed the appeal of conspiracy theories is feeling like one is part of an insider group that is privy to knowledge that is not available to ordinary citizens.  In the case of critical mass conspiracies, the same psychological dynamic applies, even though the conspiracy is very main stream, but here the knowledge appears to be unknown to the media, science, FBI, or the CIA, so one still feels he is part of an elite circle with special knowledge.
Kinda like being a christian.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Florida sets a new record today thanks to the moronic governor Death-santis and hordes of faux news lovers. People still unconvinced covid is real as they lay in their death beds. How fucking stupid can one be? Stop caring for the assholes; isolate them in a circus tent and take our hospitals back for the vaccinated.

If there are future generations of Americans what will they teach about us.