Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 18, 2021, 08:09:53 AM
Majority of covid disinformation traced to just 12 people
I have often wondered where this stuff comes from, but I never traced it myself, never searched for this kind of information, even to just view it critically.  So I've never actually seen the sources.  What amazes me is how much impact they have.  It's hard to believe there are 59 million people that actually visit the sites.  I would have thought a few did, and then passed along the information to places like facebook.

Are these 12 just crazy people with an audience, or are they affiliated with some political movement?  Do they actually believe what they are preaching?  Do they see themselves as providing valuable information or are they ubertrolls, just wanting to cause trouble?

Mr.Obvious

Reminds me of eric frank russl's 1957 book: wasp, in which a lone soldier disguised as an alien is sent to wreak havoc on their home planet by spreading rumors, lies, disinformation, random assassinations and all around chaos.

Terribly good book.

The name comes from a newspaper article in the book in which a single wasp caused a car crash that killed the occupants and brought down traffic for hours on end.
As terrible as that and this example might be, it shows that individuals do have the power to vastly influence the world.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

NC cases are going back up.  We used to be at 200-300 cases/day, now were in the 700-800 range.  :'(

SGOS

Yeah this Delta variation is worse than the original, and on top of that, people (and governments) are acting like the pandemic is over.  I've been monitoring this in the Walmart crowd.  A year and a half ago, few wore masks even when Walmart had a big sign that said you must wear a mask in the store, although they never enforced it.  Then the death rate started to climb, and more people wore masks as they began to realize this was more serious than just the flu.  Some wore masks pulled down under their chins.  People wore masks right through the beginning of vaccination while the death rate was peaked.  Then off came the masks when the graph came down a bit.  Now, about 10% of the crowd at Walmart is masked in our county which is the third worst vaccinated county in the state at 39%.  So that 29% of the carriers and shitheads are not masked and out there spreading the pandemic to as many people as they can, and our death rate is going up again too.  My neighbor has a yellow "Don't Tread on Me" flag at his driveway.  We want to be free to make sure we don't give a shit.  That's a great attitude, an American attitude that defines us.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on July 20, 2021, 06:18:58 AMA year and a half ago, few wore masks even when Walmart had a big sign that said you must wear a mask in the store, although they never enforced it.

I never understood that. Even if you're stupid enough to think the whole thing is a hoax, you respect the rules of a business. They act like the grocery store is a publicly owned place, like the park, but it's not. It's private property, and they have a right to make the rules. If you go to someone's house and they ask you to take off your shoes at the door, do you ignore them and track dirt all over their floors? No, because that would make you an asshole. And these people are spreading something a lot worse than dirt.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 20, 2021, 06:24:12 PMEven if you're stupid enough to think the whole thing is a hoax, you respect the rules of a business.
Ehh...respecting the rules of a business is a thing smart people do.  People who are stupid enough to think it's a hoax are also stupid enough to think that the rules don't apply to them.

QuoteThey act like the grocery store is a publicly owned place, like the park, but it's not. It's private property, and they have a right to make the rules.
Right, that's what stupid people believe.  Hell, they think they own the place and they can determine the rules.  If a place is closed, they'll swarm it and say "Open up!"  I know that because I've seen it.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 20, 2021, 09:26:36 PMRight, that's what stupid people believe.  Hell, they think they own the place and they can determine the rules.  If a place is closed, they'll swarm it and say "Open up!"  I know that because I've seen it.

Are you thinking about this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPiUtAde2o
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Oh Danny boy--yeah, I am praying but not that you live.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Vaccine works against the delta variant. I'm vaccinated. It's fucking hot out. Until the government or my employer require me to wear the mask again, it's staying off until flu season.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

I'm keeping my mask on in stores and continuing to shop by curbside pickup.  I don't want a mild case of Covid anymore than the flu, and even while I'm vaccinated I don't want to carry it to others, even though they may be too stupid to protect themselves and their families.  When it comes to regulating pandemic safety, I've lost all faith in government.  Telling me I don't have to wear as mask is irrelevant to my own safety.

Blackleaf

My roommate was vaccinated, but he was diagnosed with Covid this week. Seems to be getting better now, but he wasn't having fun. Hoping I don't catch it from him. I'm keeping my mask on in public places, because it literally costs me nothing to do so.
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

The gf and I got our second vaccine today, finally. Huzah!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-risk-map.html

Note the hotspots - essentially, a triangle from Texas to Florida to Missouri.  Then another streak from Nevada to Wyoming.  What do these states have in common?  This sort of thing doesn't "just happen", it was made to happen.  The fault is not in our stars...

Hydra009