News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Rash of mass shootings stirs US fears heading into summer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rash-mass-shootings-stirs-us-204201953.html

CHICAGO (AP) â€" Two people were killed and at least 30 others wounded in mass shootings overnight in three states, authorities said Saturday, stoking concerns that a spike in U.S. gun violence could continue into summer as coronavirus restrictions ease and more people are free to socialize.

So, when will the gun killings stop or even slow down?  Thoughts a prayers are a stale joke--but when will the tipping point for the country be reached?  Or will it ever be reached?  A fed. judge in CA threw out a 30 yrs. law regulating assualt weapons--going backwards, not forward in getting a handle on regulating fire arms.  With TX allowing everybody to get a hand gun, I just don't see this country even offering a whiff of sanity.  We are simply becoming more and more stupid, selfish and violent.  I guess that is just who we are.

The part I forgot--it seems as more and more of the country comes out of the pandemic part of covid, the more mass shootings happen.   Pent up anger and frustration? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 13, 2021, 10:09:01 AM
Rash of mass shootings stirs US fears heading into summer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rash-mass-shootings-stirs-us-204201953.html

CHICAGO (AP) â€" Two people were killed and at least 30 others wounded in mass shootings overnight
In Chicago this would be a "good" weekend. No really!  I have a friend from Chicago who often sends me weekend updates.  At one time, they came like clockwork on Monday, but now he just sends me updates when a murder happens in the suburb where we used to live, and where my sister and her husband still live, so I haven't been keeping up with Chicago proper lately, where all the real action takes place.  But "Two people killed" isn't anywhere near a normal high.  Although, I realize that this was just Friday Night, so it's not over yet.

But as to the point of the thread, I don't believe we will ever see any serious gun regulation ever, even while I expect it to get worse at the same time.  Even believing wholeheartedly that it's the right thing to do, worthwhile gun regulation is not going to happen.  I don't believe I'm being cynical about this either.  I just don't believe it is anything more than a campaign issue.  If we ever solved the gun problem or the crime problem, the parties wouldn't have enough left to argue about.  Global warming, sustainable energy, tax inequality, and healthcare are just issues for politicians to campaign on.  Solving those problems would leave a bullshit vacuum, and we would not be able tell either party apart.

The NRA wants guns in the hands of criminals, because that makes citizens afraid, and the only recourse for good people is to buy more guns, because our leaders sure aren't going to do anything to solve this.  The more criminals that have guns, the better for Winchester and Remington. Dead ordinary citizens are just collateral damage in the culture of greed.

SGOS

Are we in the right thread?

aitm

I carry my little mask with me. If the sign asks, I do, if it says not needed then no.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on June 13, 2021, 12:09:38 PM
Are we in the right thread?
I know--but I amended my post with what I had forgotten.  Apparently as we come out of the pandemic part of covid, the release of the stay at home pressure seems to be leading to more violent happenings in the country. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 13, 2021, 12:22:37 PM
I know--but I amended my post with what I had forgotten.  Apparently as we come out of the pandemic part of covid, the release of the stay at home pressure seems to be leading to more violent happenings in the country. 
Though I have no rhyme or reason, nor facts, In do not think they are related.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 13, 2021, 12:48:04 PM
Though I have no rhyme or reason, nor facts, In do not think they are related.
According to the article, they try to make a connection.  I don't think they are related, either.  I have come to think we, as a society, have a bent to be violent.  And as the gun culture has taken over all of this society, the more our seemingly natural violent nature takes hold and becomes more evident.

Sorginak

Never caught the C-19 before I was vaccinated, despite working in a nursing home where everyone else had it, and I still haven't caught it after being vaccinated.

I'm thinking if I had it, it was around February of last year when I was particularly sick with flu-like symptoms. It was also before it was officially announced as an issue by the inept president at the time.

Shiranu

Quote from: Sorginak on June 13, 2021, 10:37:47 PM
Never caught the C-19 before I was vaccinated, despite working in a nursing home where everyone else had it, and I still haven't caught it after being vaccinated.

I'm thinking if I had it, it was around February of last year when I was particularly sick with flu-like symptoms. It was also before it was officially announced as an issue by the inept president at the time.

Yep, never got diagnosed with it but pretty sure I had it in March of 2020. Worked at a college campus with a large international, particularly Chinese, student population and for about 3 days spent the entire time in bed, eating about half a bowl of soup a day because my body was just completely drained. Eventually I could walk around and would just spend it out in the sun trying to regain energy.

Shit was not fun.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Russia appears to be experiencing a covid surge

QuoteThe biggest spike appeared to be in Moscow, the Russian capital, which reported 6,701 new cases on Saturday â€" more than double the rise five days ago, and the highest single-day total since December. Mayor Sergey S. Sobyanin said the situation had “sharply worsened” in the past week, and that thousands of hospital beds were being repurposed to provide care for Covid-19 patients.

Based on the official numbers (use a couple buckets of salt), Russia peaked back in December at nearly 30,000 cases/day, declined down to 8,000 by April which stayed steady until June, where it started to sharply rise.

Quote“Right now, we can vaccinate everyone in Russia given the volume of vaccine being produced,” Mr. Putin said at an annual state awards ceremony at the Kremlin on Saturday, according to Interfax. “The question is that, as always â€" it’s a typical phenomenon here â€" people are cautious about all such procedures.”
Hmm...I wonder who's responsible for that.

QuoteThe two-dose Sputnik V vaccine is 91.6 percent effective against the coronavirus, according to peer-reviewed research published in The Lancet in January. But polls show that nearly two-thirds of Russians say they do not plan to get the vaccine. Analysts attribute Russians’ hesitancy to a seemingly contradictory mix of factors: widespread distrust of the authorities on the one hand, and frequent state television reports describing the coronavirus as mostly defeated or not very dangerous on the other.
That sounds so familiar I almost thought they were talking about Americans instead of Russians.  Sucks to have a vaccine hesitancy problem.  One wonders what sorts of monster would stoke that sort of deadly denialism.

drunkenshoe

I got vaxxed yesterday. (Biontech) My left arm hurts good, but everything hurts in general in a sweet way...me so puny. Weird thing, I also get a flaming-tingling sensation at the back of my waist and then it spread to my ass in waves, now shorter waves in both. It's weird, not painful. Never felt anything like that before. Champix probably not helping. I want to make a bed of the rest of my life. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SvZurich

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 15, 2021, 02:50:54 AM
I got vaxxed yesterday. (Biontech) My left arm hurts good, but everything hurts in general in a sweet way...me so puny. Weird thing, I also get a flaming-tingling sensation at the back of my waist and then it spread to my ass in waves, now shorter waves in both. It's weird, not painful. Never felt anything like that before. Champix probably not helping. I want to make a bed of the rest of my life. 

I was extremely lucky dear. I enrolled in a phase 3 trial for Novavac and turned down the VA's (Veterans Administration) offer of any of the other 3 approved for here. The first 2 shots may have been the actual vaccine, don't know. Injection site was just a bit tender after them for about a day. After the next two which may have been the actual shots or the placebo, I had no tenderness not want side effects. I'm just glad to help the science and be protected.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SvZurich on June 15, 2021, 03:19:10 AM
I was extremely lucky dear. I enrolled in a phase 3 trial for Novavac and turned down the VA's (Veterans Administration) offer of any of the other 3 approved for here. The first 2 shots may have been the actual vaccine, don't know. Injection site was just a bit tender after them for about a day. After the next two which may have been the actual shots or the placebo, I had no tenderness not want side effects. I'm just glad to help the science and be protected.

Cool. It's nice to live in a place where they can develop a vaccine, no such technology over here. So you will get vaxxed in the next round.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SvZurich

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 15, 2021, 04:46:01 AM
Cool. It's nice to live in a place where they can develop a vaccine, no such technology over here. So you will get vaxxed in the next round.
I'm fully vaccinated darling. I carry a mask for where it is required, normally wear it, and remove it in places where that is allowed. That said, Las Vegas is officially open, but I avoid the heat.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

Quote from: SvZurich on June 15, 2021, 05:46:03 AM
I'm fully vaccinated darling. I carry a mask for where it is required, normally wear it, and remove it in places where that is allowed. That said, Las Vegas is officially open, but I avoid the heat.
Nice to see your “face” on the board again, Kimmy, hope all is well with you.