Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2021, 09:02:43 AM
I still wear my mask.  It's not an inconvenience. And I worry that the CDC may be basing it's protocols on what it sees as "reasonable compromise" between public health and economic concerns.  Erring on the side of caution hurts no one.
This exactly.

Besides, I will wear my mask because I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a republican. :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Uggh, looking up stats on mobile is no picnic.

*searches covid cases yesterday*
Here's a line graph!  Today is kinda somewhere between 1000 and 5000.  Hope that helps!
"no, I mean daily covid statistics"
Here's a page with daily covid statistics!  Up to date as of April 22nd.
Here's a page with cumulative totals and demographic statistics.
"NY Times daily cases"
Here ya go!  All the data you could ever want!  And you've got about 2 seconds to read it all before the paywall hits ya!

Hydra009

WHO releases report detailing mistakes

QuoteThe panel argued that the WHO's Emergency Committee should have declared the outbreak in China an international emergency a week earlier than it did.

It should have done so at its first meeting on 22 January last year, the report said, instead of waiting until 30 January.

The month following the WHO's declaration was "lost" as countries failed to take appropriate measures to halt the spread of the virus.

The WHO was then hindered by its own regulations that travel restrictions should be a last resort, the panel said, adding that Europe and the US wasted the entire month of February and acted only when their hospitals began to fill up.

When countries should have been preparing their healthcare systems for an influx of Covid patients, much of the world descended into a "winner takes all" scramble for protective equipment and medicines, the report said.

What to do next time (there will be a next time)

Quote1) A new global threats council should be created with the power to hold countries accountable

2) There should be a disease surveillance system to publish information without the approval of countries concerned

3) Vaccines must be classed as public goods and there should be a pandemic financing facility

4) There was an immediate request for the wealthy G7 nations to commit $1.9bn (£1.3bn) to the WHO's Covax programme providing vaccine support to low income countries
Good luck with all but #3.  And even that's iffy.

aitm

All right guys, I need some help here. I am beginning to have some second thoughts about the sincerity of the new mask rules.
1st, we understand that only about 5% of oxygen is used in any given breath...( I think...been a long time since science class)....so assuming that a breath of air is like a invisible ballon where the lungs only contact the balloon and not the inside of the ballon and then the “inside” of the balloon “air” is expelled untouched by the lungs. With me so far?
The idea of being vaccinated is that if you inhale the “poison” you are protected....but that doesn’t mean you are not still inhaling the poison...and exhaling it. It simply means YOU are protected....not you exhaled breath. So why are vaccinated peeps considered safe to be maskless when the same air is exhaled is still “poison” ?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on May 15, 2021, 08:24:27 PM
All right guys, I need some help here. I am beginning to have some second thoughts about the sincerity of the new mask rules.
1st, we understand that only about 5% of oxygen is used in any given breath...( I think...been a long time since science class)....so assuming that a breath of air is like a invisible ballon where the lungs only contact the balloon and not the inside of the ballon and then the “inside” of the balloon “air” is expelled untouched by the lungs. With me so far?
The idea of being vaccinated is that if you inhale the “poison” you are protected....but that doesn’t mean you are not still inhaling the poison...and exhaling it. It simply means YOU are protected....not you exhaled breath. So why are vaccinated peeps considered safe to be maskless when the same air is exhaled is still “poison” ?
Are you being serious?  Cause I've never heard anything like this before.

Afaik, vaccinated people do not in fact exhale or inhale poison (who on earth said that?!), they've simply been injected with some sort of spike protein similar to covid which causes their immune system to freak out a little.  That way, if/when their body encounters the real deal, the immune system can swiftly kill it and they don't become seriously ill.

SGOS

Now they are doing away with mask requirements in the big chain stores and depending on unvaccinated people to wear masks using the honors system.  But no one will be required to wear masks.  Costco, Walmart, Starbucks, and I can't remember the others have already announced this.  CVS will still require everyone in the store to wear masks, but they haven't decided for sure.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 15, 2021, 08:42:38 PM
Are you being serious?  Cause I've never heard anything like this before.

Afaik, vaccinated people do not in fact exhale or inhale poison (who on earth said that?!), they've simply been injected with some sort of spike protein similar to covid which causes their immune system to freak out a little.  That way, if/when their body encounters the real deal, the immune system can swiftly kill it and they don't become seriously ill.
I spent more time deciphering his post than I care to admit, but I think what aitm meant to point out is that if vaccinated people come into contact with the disease they can still spread it around. Which is true.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Yeah, perhaps the use of “poison” was over thought. If the lungs were capable of absorbing every particle of a disease, and due to the vaccine, being immune to it, and capturing it, then yes vaccinated people should be able to walk around mask free. But as we know the lungs do not absorb every particle making anyone, vaccinated or not exactly the same spreading machine as anyone else. So it seems to me the maskless mandate should be specifically noted as only among those who are equally vaccinated. But that is not largely pointed out in the stories I am reading.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

The gf's uncle is not gonna get vaccinated. Is convincing her mother, his sister-in-law not to get vaccinated either. I told her why that's foolish and irresponsible. The uncle also wanted to have a conversation with uw because we are hoping to get vaccinated soon.
I flat out refused, and told my mother in law, who was kind of the in-between link, that we had no interest in the conversation whatsoever. I'm not gonna spend my time trying to convince him neither. I have not the time nor the patience to do so. And I know that as long as he talks self-assured my, my gf is going to think 'maybe there is something to this'. I love her, and I like my mother-in-law, but they both are easily convinced by one speaking with conviction.
Maybe I should have a conversation with him, but I'd rather not. It's gonna lead to a very heavy discussion and 'war' within the family. I told her as much: I don't want to do this, and if it were to happen, I would not be held accountable for the familial damages.
Does that make me an asshole? Or an asshole for not trying to convince him. I don't know.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on May 16, 2021, 07:14:06 AM
Yeah, perhaps the use of “poison” was over thought.
With the way the CDC is setting out the new guidelines, I don't think it will make much difference.  The antimasker antivaccers will just remove their masks.  Private enterprises that have played the most significant role in getting people to wear masks are being put in an untenable position if they wish to help.  It will be up to people to protect themselves, and hope for the best.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2021, 07:56:43 AM
The gf's uncle is not gonna get vaccinated. Is convincing her mother, his sister-in-law not to get vaccinated either. I told her why that's foolish and irresponsible. The uncle also wanted to have a conversation with uw because we are hoping to get vaccinated soon.
I flat out refused, and told my mother in law, who was kind of the in-between link, that we had no interest in the conversation whatsoever. I'm not gonna spend my time trying to convince him neither. I have not the time nor the patience to do so. And I know that as long as he talks self-assured my, my gf is going to think 'maybe there is something to this'. I love her, and I like my mother-in-law, but they both are easily convinced by one speaking with conviction.
Maybe I should have a conversation with him, but I'd rather not. It's gonna lead to a very heavy discussion and 'war' within the family. I told her as much: I don't want to do this, and if it were to happen, I would not be held accountable for the familial damages.
Does that make me an asshole? Or an asshole for not trying to convince him. I don't know.
No, you are not an asshole--he is.  You are sane and reasonable.  He isn't.  Best to stay away from his type of people.  I do within my own family circles.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2021, 07:56:43 AM
Everyone is calling up to visit now that the pandemic is 'over'. "Are you fully vaccinated?", I ask. "No"?. "Sorry, no can do". I hear them say "well, we are not sure the vaccines are safe". My answer "Look, I gotta run, take care of yourself. maybe next year".

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on May 16, 2021, 07:14:06 AMBut as we know the lungs do not absorb every particle making anyone, vaccinated or not exactly the same spreading machine as anyone else.
The disease mainly spreads by sick people producing it and expectorating it around other people.  Vaccinated people are highly unlikely to produce the disease and you can't spread what you don't have.

Unvaccinated people are at risk - now more than ever - without the mask mandate.  They're coming into contact with both vaccinated and fellow unvaccinated people.  All it takes is one sneeze, one cough, hell even normal talking can release spit laden with covid.  And without a vaccine or mask, they have zero defense against it and can easily fall victim and then become spreaders themselves.

So no, the two are not the same spreading machine.

QuoteSo it seems to me the maskless mandate should be specifically noted as only among those who are equally vaccinated. But that is not largely pointed out in the stories I am reading.
Biden and the CDC have said as much.  However, the flaw in this plan is its reliance on humans being both reasonable and intelligent.  Instead, the take-away among all people is that masks are no longer needed at all, a lethal mistake in some cases.  No doubt this will lead to another surge, mostly among the unvaccinated (the very young who haven't been eligible for vaccination and adults who ignored vaccination)