News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Getting my second shot hopefully next Tuesday... not looking forward to it because the first one made me really sick for about 2 days, but what can you do?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

When I got my last shot, an older woman told me that the after affects were worse for younger people. I'd never heard that, but maybe she was right.

Shiranu

According to the University of Washington, the U.S. death toll is more likely around 905,000 rather than the reported 587,000, and globally it's doubled the reported rate.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised if that's the case.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/06/994287048/new-study-estimates-more-than-900-000-people-have-died-of-covid-19-in-u-s/

QuoteA new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.

The final count only estimates deaths "caused directly by the SARS-CoV-2 virus," according to the study's authors. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

Amazing-the levels of bullshit concerning coronavirus. Is this Hindi homeopathy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFMYt4nnzY

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on May 11, 2021, 11:56:11 AMAmazing-the levels of bullshit concerning coronavirus. Is this Hindi homeopathy?
There's also one from some numerologist wacko who seriously thinks that misspelling coronaa will magically make it go away.

Meanwhile, there are bodies floating in the Ganges.

Hydra009

Those dastardly globalists!  They want people to wear masks so...*checks notes*...fewer people have to go to the hospital and run up ghastly medical bills.  Those vile, selfish bastards!

Hydra009

Anti-vaxxer floats wearing masks to avoid vaccine

QuoteIt’s not just social distancing that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?”

When you use the wrong formula, but get the right answer

GSOgymrat

This is good news!

Fully vaccinated people can shed their masks in most places -U.S. CDC

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday advised that fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks outdoors and can avoid wearing them indoors in most places, updated guidance the agency said will allow life to begin to return to normal.

The CDC, which hopes the guidance will prod more Americans to get vaccinated, also said fully immunized people will not need to physically distance in most places.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said the new guidance was based on a sharp reduction in cases, expansion of vaccines to younger people and vaccine efficacy against coronavirus variants.

"We followed the science here," Walensky. ...

Blackleaf

Interesting... I didn't think we were at that point yet. Weren't they having trouble getting people to take the vaccine?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 14, 2021, 01:38:15 AM
Interesting... I didn't think we were at that point yet. Weren't they having trouble getting people to take the vaccine?
It applies only to the vaccinated.  Those who are unvaccinated should continue to follow pre-vaccine protocols.  If they don't, their effect on the pandemic remains unchanged.  They will remain the carriers and spreaders and slow down herd immunity and eventual victory over the scourge.  They will probably affect the economic recovery negatively also.

As of yet, while the new guidelines have only been in place two days, I have not noticed any change in behavior of K Mart shoppers here, the masked to unmasked ratio seems to remain unchanged, with most older people still wearing masks. I've also noticed more little children wearing masks in the last month.

SGOS

Regal Cinema Theaters have been reopening for a couple of weeks now.  Today the nearest Regal Cinema to me opens.  It is located in Christiansburg, VA.  I won't be going to the movies for some time, myself.  The thought of crowded indoor spaces still has a chilling effect on me.  I still have not been in a restaurant either.  But I have been going into stores.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2021, 07:17:17 AM
Regal Cinema Theaters have been reopening for a couple of weeks now.  Today the nearest Regal Cinema to me opens.  It is located in Christiansburg, VA.  I won't be going to the movies for some time, myself.  The thought of crowded indoor spaces still has a chilling effect on me.  I still have not been in a restaurant either.  But I have been going into stores.
Carbon copy for me, as well.  The only store I have returned to by going inside is Costco, because they have the special hour for the elderly from 9--10 am.  Still use the parking lot pickup for the other stores we use.  Well, not quite accurate, I also go to Lowe's because the garden section is basically outdoors and is separate from the main section of the store.  Not sure when I will go back to the rest of the stores or even when I do, when I will stop using my masks.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I still wear my mask.  It's not an inconvenience. And I worry that the CDC may be basing it's protocols on what it sees as "reasonable compromise" between public health and economic concerns.  Erring on the side of caution hurts no one.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 14, 2021, 01:38:15 AM
Yes.  We might not even hit 2/3 in my area, so you can forget herd immunity.

In public situations (except maybe Dem rallies) there's always going to be a mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated.  So this virus is still going to stay in circulation.  The good news is that unvaccinated people are going to assume almost all the risk and hospitalizations from here on out.

Personally, I will stay masked in crowds because there's no harm in being overprotected, I don't want to send the signal to unvaxxed people that masks are no longer important (they're not the brightest), and I wish to remain visually distinct from crazy antimaskers for the time being.