News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Blackleaf

I'm so...FUCKING tired of this shit. We're nowhere near the threshold for heard immunity, because people are too stupid to trust the medical professionals and get the vaccine. This is never going to end.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Death toll chart of selected countries
(the colors are randomly generated, but you can mouse over country names to the right of the chart if two countries' colors are too similar to distinguish)

I chose the USA, Brazil, and India because of their "headline-making leadership" during this crisis.  A few other countries could've also been on this short list, but sadly, their records are not as...candid (and certain people in the know have come down with some strange accidents) so I am omitting them for now.

I chose the UK, Germany, Japan, and New Zealand for contrast, to highlight the effects of less "exciting" decision-making (Germany), widespread mask-wearing (Japan), and the value of taking the advice of medical professionals (New Zealand)

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 04, 2021, 10:35:01 PM
Death toll chart of selected countries
I added Africa and Afghanistan for no particular reason and their results approach New Zealand. I don't know if their data is reliable, so it's hard to make the comparisons needed.  And of course what's important is what we must do to improve.  Comparison charts would be helpful to maximize success, but basically we know what we need to do, and those who refuse to cooperate will never see the comparison charts at all.

The US falls behind other wealthy western democracies in most areas of healthcare. Our response to the pandemic is a reflection of that.  We just aren't that good at being healthy.  Part is ignorance, and part is self righteous defiance.

Hydra009

Like I alluded to earlier, there is spotty data in some countries/regions.  Africa is definitely such a region.  As for Afghanistan, I'm not even sure a comparison between official deaths and excess deaths is feasible for obvious reasons.  Though I have no doubt locals have learned to avoid crowds.

SGOS

I'm betting that Japan will blow it's status as having one of the best handled Covid responses by the end of August. The Summer Olympics in July will host waves of foreigners.  I'm sure the crowd will be much better managed than most countries would do, and plans for limiting contact and access are being made right now.  I think it's a mistake, and I hope I'm wrong, but lets revisit this prediction in the Fall.

QuoteDr. Megan Ranney, for CNN: “I wish we would either limit the Games to just the athletes, or insist on vaccination for all â€" including spectators and host communities …. Yes, these events deserve to go on, for the sake of the athletes â€" but we cannot pretend that the current recommended precautions are adequate.”

"The Sturgis motorcycle rally deserves to go on, for the sake of the bikers."  Actually, I'm not sure anyone in South Dakota said that, but we all know that these events take place for economic reasons.

Blackleaf

Even though the Olympic games cost more to set up than they ever get back. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

https://covid19.healthdata.org/india?view=total-deaths&tab=trend
India death toll now projects to over 1M by August.

Being a numbers person, way back in March of last year I did some calculations using all the data I could find and came up with a US death toll of 640K over the next year. Came pretty close. I posted this on Facebook and then announced I was cancelling all participation in musical related activity. People were really pissed-off at me. They thought I was crazy. Oh well.
At the time I curve-fitted a 5th order polynomial equation that was really hitting the mark for the next few months. I mentioned that as an engineer I rarely encountered a 5th order equation in my particular field and I expected a life-saving lock-down soon. That never really happened and yep, 600K dead Americans. Amen, praise Jesus, God save the King.

Hydra009

I got my 2nd shot.  A few days ago, actually.  No side effects at all, barely any arm soreness and the first shot gave me considerable arm sore soreness.  The way I see it, my immune system was interrogating a captured lieutenant last time, and this time, it's a general.  Much better intel.

And it looks like my home state of NC is finally reducing its cases after weeks of stagnation.  We even had <1000 cases/day on May 4th.  Don't quote me on this, but it looks like my area will be mostly out of the woods sometime this summer.  I don't expect any >2000 cases days in NC again.

Cassia

How about 10 free Powerball tix to get vaccinated? Perfect for statistically challenged numbskulls.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on May 07, 2021, 05:05:40 PM
How about 10 free Powerball tix to get vaccinated? Perfect for statistically challenged numbskulls.
Just give me the $10 instead of the tickets.  It's a better deal, and eliminates the middleman.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on May 07, 2021, 05:05:40 PMHow about 10 free Powerball tix to get vaccinated? Perfect for statistically challenged numbskulls.
So, about $3-4 a head?

Hydra009

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2021, 01:52:08 PMI don't expect any >2000 cases days in NC again.
As soon as I open my big mouth, we had 1932 cases today.  I need to keep any optimism to myself so I don't jinx it.

Hydra009

In positive news, 50% of NC adults are now vaccinated.  Which also means that 50% are not vaccinated.  And we're not on track to hit 2/3 by June.  Vaccination rates have dropped significantly, so almost everyone interested has already gotten them.

Imho, we should start working on teens and export the rest to hotspots.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 08, 2021, 06:47:49 PM
In positive news, 50% of NC adults are now vaccinated.  Which also means that 50% are not vaccinated.  And we're not on track to hit 2/3 by June.  Vaccination rates have dropped significantly, so almost everyone interested has already gotten them.

Imho, we should start working on teens and export the rest to hotspots.

Eventually the vast majority of dead bodies wheeled-out of the US Covid-19 wards will be of the far right ilk. Poor dears.

Looking forward to my variant booster later this year.