News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Covid is bad in India.  No news there.  We've all been hearing about it.  Finally, the New York Times had a headline that asked, "Why?"  I've passed on a lot of headlines, but this one beckoned a full read.  Basically, the reason was hubris, nothing magical or special about about India.  The same reason why in the US, the "greatest" of all nations floundered during the crisis worst than the rest, because of hubris. "Hey were Americans.  That shit don't happen here."  Experts in India warned of coming problems after India had beat the data of the rest of the world, but the head of state has a history of quelling dissent, and Indians were left on their own to conclude they were above it all.  They love their weddings and things that are just too good and pure to be anything like deadly, and at the slightest hint of good news, they were out again celebrating and not doing what everyone knows you should do during a pandemic.

It was a simple explanation that parallels the same explanation for why the US sucked so badly.  We are the rich and powerful, but not the smart and thoughtful.  We have the money to buy up all the vaccine and vaccinate half of the willing population, and now everything is good, right?  But lets not talk about a half million dead people.

In India it was, "We are younger and thinner than the rest of the slobs in the world, it can't happen here.  This sounds awful critical, and truly it is not accurate to think that the US or India is stupider than the rest of the world.  I understand the hubris.  I think it's part of human nature.  Pandemics are not mindful of smart, stupid, hubris, or good intentions.  Pandemics operate under rules of nature.  People must learn to do the same.  Thinking we are above it is hubris.

https://mail.yahoo.com/b/folders/1/messages/ANF-fHIjY_nCYIaWngxAuG2Jw6s?.src=ym&reason=unsupported_browser&showImages=true&offset=0&folderType=INBOX

drunkenshoe

Full lockdown. From 29th to 18th...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 26, 2021, 09:40:45 AMCovid is bad in India.  No news there.  We've all been hearing about it.
Tell me about it.  India is blowing up my feed right now.  Oxygen shortage, 350k+ cases/day, underreported death toll, etc.  Even some really wild stories about getting the go ahead to bury the dead in the family's backyard and desperate people resorting to drinking cow urine as some sort of pseudo-scientific treatment.  Yikes.

In good news, Germany and Saudi Arabia are pledging some oxygen.

GSOgymrat

Yesterday I spoke with a woman whose child, who was a freshman in college, died last week from COVID. She was understandably devastated.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 26, 2021, 04:43:47 PM
Yesterday I spoke with a woman whose child, who was a freshman in college, died last week from COVID. She was understandably devastated.
Covid shifting towards the younger generation is not something I saw coming.  It was one of India's advantages.  With a younger population, it was reasoned that was why India had done a little better than other nations.  Now it doesn't seem to be helping. 

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 26, 2021, 04:35:09 PM
Tell me about it.  India is blowing up my feed right now.  Oxygen shortage, 350k+ cases/day, underreported death toll, etc.  Even some really wild stories about getting the go ahead to bury the dead in the family's backyard and desperate people resorting to drinking cow urine as some sort of pseudo-scientific treatment.  Yikes.

In good news, Germany and Saudi Arabia are pledging some oxygen.
Yep, I was reading how the blow-up started about one incubation period after the huge religious festivals. Now the US has vaccines and so many are avoiding...damn it.

Hydra009

Meanwhile, a Florida private school discouraged teachers from getting their shots, threatening their livelihoods if they choose to protect themselves.

QuoteOne of its co-founders, Leila Centner, informed employees “with a very heavy heart” that if they chose to get a shot, they would have to stay away from students.

QuoteLeila Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

Quote“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)

QuoteCentner founded the school with her husband, David Centner, a technology and electronic highway tolling entrepreneur. Each has donated heavily to the Republican Party and Donald Trump’s reelection campaign, while giving much smaller sums to local Democrats.

In February, the Centners welcomed a special guest to speak to students: Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the prominent anti-vaccine activist. (Kennedy was suspended from Instagram a few days later for promoting COVID-19 vaccine misinformation.) This month, the school hosted a Zoom talk with Dr. Lawrence Palevsky, a New York pediatrician frequently cited by anti-vaccination activists.
These idiots even claim that coming in contact with vaccinated people messes with the menstrual cycles of unvaccinated students, which is a truly breathtaking statement.  I mean, how would that even work?

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 27, 2021, 07:52:56 PM
Meanwhile, a Florida private school discouraged teachers from getting their shots, threatening their livelihoods if they choose to protect themselves.
These idiots even claim that coming in contact with vaccinated people messes with the menstrual cycles of unvaccinated students, which is a truly breathtaking statement.  I mean, how would that even work?
Without a doubt some of the stupidest $hit ever....

Hydra009

In other stupid news, the CDC is saying that fully vaccinated people don't need to wear masks outdoors unless they're in a big crowd.

While I'm sure that's great advice for reasonable people, these are Americans we're talking about.  Their take-away is slightly less nuanced.  I was watching local news and watching some people react to the news by throwing away their masks as if covid was gone completely.  What are you planning to wear to Walmart, genius?  And some of them were quite young and highly unlikely to even be fully vaccinated.

All I'm saying is that before we declare Mission Accomplished, how about we get most people fully vaccinated and get statewide daily cases down to I dunno, 200 or so (2k right now).  I was chomping at the bit to get my shot and I still haven't gotten the second.  A lot of Generation Z might not have even gotten their first shot yet.

And some partisan opportunists have seized on this news, declaring that kids wearing masks is tantamount to child abuse.  This coming from people who send kids to Jesus Camp or gay conversion "therapy".  Hell, they even approve of kids' genital inspection for sports.  Might as well hire John Wayne Gacy to do it while they're at it.  They don't give a damn about kids, they just get triggered by masks for purely partisan reasons.  Shameful bullshit and I know some idiots are going to fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2021, 12:04:13 AM
All I'm saying is that before we declare Mission Accomplished, how about we get most people fully vaccinated and get statewide daily cases down to I dunno, 200 or so
I had a similar reaction when I read the new guidelines.  I get it that things are slightly safer, but I know that just like every time there is bit of good news about the pandemic, the public and the politicians have gone manic, and act like it's time to have a public orgy.  The CDC must know this.  How can they not?  I appreciate that they are giving us the best information they have, and they can always hide behind the true fact of, "This is not what we said,"  But they don't seem to understand that others are cocked and ready to flagrantly and intentionally not understand.  There has been a crisis in communication since the beginning of the pandemic.  We can blame it on the dunderheads, but the bright ones don't seem to understand that the message can never arrive at the other end intact.

I think the only way this can be handled is through legal restrictions and enforced laws.  I understand this is not the American way, and I understand that dealing with a politicized pandemic becomes an orchestrated failure.  The same thing is happening around the world.  It's the cause of India's upsurge in deaths among its younger population.

SGOS

I had a similar reaction many years ago both in working for the Forest Service and as a citizen user of public lands.  When the public, which also includes private corporations in the public sector, abuse resources, either stealing, vandalizing, or simply not picking up their own trash, the government's goto response, which actually became an unofficial mantra was, "We have to educate the public."  This sounds superficially wonderful; No enforcement or penalties. Just make people smarter.  "Educating" was code for, "Its far too expensive to monitor and enforce," (This is no doubt true)  "So we will put up signs "Do not cut down live trees,"  "Do not defecate next to picnic tables in public campgrounds," or "Do not pour toxic chemicals in the lake."  The signs could have been printed in Klingon, for all their effectiveness.  But I did wholeheartedly agree that education was by far the cheapest way to NOT get the job done.

SGOS

44 Dead at Religious Rally in Israel

I almost hate to post this in an atheism forum.  It sounds like one more rag on religion, but during a pandemic, it should be every bit the concern as a motorcycle rally in South Dakota.  44 is the death toll from crowd crushing, and the media makes this into a headline.  It should be, but how many more will die from the spread of the virus at the event, and how many more will die from catching it from someone who caught it from someone at the rally.  I know Israel got it's vaccination act together faster than most places, but this is not over yet.

QuoteNYT
For these deeply devout Jews, attendance was a religious and personal duty. To briefly grip the rabbi’s bier, and symbolically assist his passage from this world, was a sign of profound respect for the dead.

But for secular Israeli society, and even for some within the ultra-Orthodox world, this kind of mass gathering suggested a disrespect for the living.
This nails it for me: "a disrespect for the living."

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on April 30, 2021, 09:28:49 AM
I almost hate to post this in an atheism forum.  It sounds like one more rag on religion, but during a pandemic, it should be every bit the concern as a motorcycle rally in South Dakota.

Yes, it was a religious celebration but looking at the footage it could have been New Year's Eve, a big soccer match, or some other form of mass gathering. What a disaster.

https://youtu.be/lHELl9Ij7VM

Blackleaf

I don't understand. What happened to those people?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--