News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Glad to hear it.  It is a relief.  I still haven't ventured out much, but I just feel safer.

GSOgymrat

Disturbing news.

A third of COVID survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders -study

... The new findings, published in the Lancet Psychiatry journal, analysed health records of 236,379 COVID-19 patients, mostly from the United States, and found 34% had been diagnosed with neurological or psychiatric illnesses within six months.

The disorders were significantly more common in COVID-19 patients than in comparison groups of people who recovered from flu or other respiratory infections over the same time period, the scientists said, suggesting COVID-19 had a specific impact.

Anxiety, at 17%, and mood disorders, at 14%, were the most common, and did not appear to be related to how mild or severe the patient's COVID-19 infection had been.

Among those who had been admitted to intensive care with severe COVID-19 however, 7% had a stroke within six months, and almost 2% were diagnosed with dementia.

Independent experts said the findings were worrying.

"This is a very important paper. It confirms beyond any reasonable doubt that COVID-19 affects both brain and mind in equal measure," said Simon Wessely, chair of psychiatry at King's College London.

"The impact COVID-19 is having on individuals' mental health can be severe," said Lea Milligan, chief executive of the MQ Mental Health research charity. "This is contributing to the already rising levels of mental illness and requires further, urgent research."

drunkenshoe

Siigh. And it is getting really bad over here too.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

brain and mind   ??? Yeah.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cassia on April 07, 2021, 08:26:04 AM
brain and mind   ??? Yeah.

I assume that's colloquial British for neurology and psychology.

drunkenshoe

I meant the rise in cases... It should be clear that we have been living in an open air asylum for a long time now.  So other aspects of the pandemic still blending in for now...lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

If this virus was killing children like it kills old folks, the whole narrative would be a lot different.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cassia on April 07, 2021, 10:01:09 PM
If this virus was killing children like it kills old folks, the whole narrative would be a lot different.

I'm not so sure. Conservatives have far exceeded the lows I expected them to be capable of in the last few years.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

From what I understand the variants are targeting a younger and younger crowd.  Let's see how that impacts the narrative.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Yeah, I've read that too. Unlike us, it is learning pretty fast and keep adapting.

Mermaid

I doubt it. Not after Sandy Hook.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cassia

Quote from: Mermaid on April 08, 2021, 08:24:35 PM
I doubt it. Not after Sandy Hook.
The US is not exactly famous for the way we treat the elderly. Much better to be a kid or a pet in this culture than "an old pain in the ass", LOL. If young adults were dropping like flies maybe we wouldn't be having spring break. Yesterday alone was 37 "Sandy Hooks" in terms of lives lost. What prompted me was a forum post that said we should measure the pandemic not by the lives lost but the remaining years lost and then it's really "not that bad."

SGOS

I didn't come up with these on my own.  I lifted them from the New York Times:

You say you won’t get the vaccine because you don’t know what’s in it, but you’ll eat a hot dog?

You think the government is using the vaccine to put a tracking device in your arm, but have you looked at your life and asked whether there’s anything worth tracking?

You’re afraid the vaccine might kill you, but guess what we know can kill you?

aitm

Yep. I allow my phone and truck to track me. One never knows when an exact track of your movements will be your best defense. And as one not.prome to criminal activity...yet, I am comforted by that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

From the "Reddit Positive" page....

I’m positive. I tried to search up online but there was nothing about it. I saw some articles on Facebook mentioning that wearing a mask makes it worse for those who are SICK because you’re breathing it all back in. Is this true?