News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

My husband got his first shot Friday. Our local hospital had thawed vaccine but because of the ice storm no one showed up for their appointments. They sent out a memo saying it was urgent that hospital employees who had not been vaccinated come in but they still didn't have enough volunteers. Rather than throwing the vaccine away, they said that anyone could come but it had to be immediately. My husband and a couple of coworkers left work at the grocery store, drove straight there, and were vaccinated.

GSOgymrat

Everyone who minimizes COVID should watch this.

https://youtu.be/M5BhuzqeDRU

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 22, 2021, 02:44:12 PM
My husband got his first shot Friday. Our local hospital had thawed vaccine but because of the ice storm no one showed up for their appointments. They sent out a memo saying it was urgent that hospital employees who had not been vaccinated come in but they still didn't have enough volunteers. Rather than throwing the vaccine away, they said that anyone could come but it had to be immediately. My husband and a couple of coworkers left work at the grocery store, drove straight there, and were vaccinated.
When it rains it pours.  That was fortunate.  Even in the 75 and older crowd, getting my first shot was a hair pulling event in Virginia.  I stuck with it and got an appointment after two days of playing "Be the third person to call in the next two minutes and get a Covid vaccination appointment." Then a weather event like this happens, and they can't give the stuff away fast enough.  We need more "fortunate" these days.  I'm happy to hear they are not wasting the vaccine.   

I got my first appointment on a day of icy roads, and I had to drive 100 miles round trip, but I wasn't going to pass on that shot for anything.  I allowed myself 4 hours to drive 50 miles, but as it turned out, the roads were fine almost the whole way.  There was dense fog crossing the Blue Ridge, but it only lasted for a half hour.  I got there early and waited in my car for two hours, but I didn't complain one bit.  That shot was the most important thing I've done in two years. 
I'll be getting my second shot in 2 weeks. 

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2021, 10:18:39 AM
I got my first appointment on a day of icy roads, and I had to drive 100 miles round trip, but I wasn't going to pass on that shot for anything.  I allowed myself 4 hours to drive 50 miles, but as it turned out, the roads were fine almost the whole way.  There was dense fog crossing the Blue Ridge, but it only lasted for a half hour.  I got there early and waited in my car for two hours, but I didn't complain one bit.  That shot was the most important thing I've done in two years. 
I'll be getting my second shot in 2 weeks. 

Very glad to hear you got your shot.

SoldierofFortune

This virus, what an invention!

I agree with the idea that the world cannot be left to its destiny. Someone must intervene, changing its direction.

But a more humane way could have been, to accelerate the change. I feel like a victim, inferior than those who rule under the table.

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on February 26, 2021, 02:42:47 PMThis virus, what an invention!
Must've been a pretty industrious bat.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 26, 2021, 03:14:26 PM
Must've been a pretty industrious bat.

I do not want to believe that a highly informed person like you on intellectual matters is a brain-washed guy contaminated by the media whose propaganda techniques are so very advanced that it is even able to distract the educated people from the reality.

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on February 26, 2021, 03:29:33 PM
I do not want to believe that a highly informed person like you on intellectual matters is a brain-washed guy contaminated by the media whose propaganda techniques are so very advanced that it is even able to distract the educated people from the reality.
Thanks for the backhanded compliment (I think), but you forgot to call me a sheeple.  It's very impolite to forget that part when you call someone brainwashed because they don't subscribe to your weird conspiracy theory.

Be safe out there.  Don't forget to watch out for Jewish space lasers, they'll getcha! :P

GSOgymrat

During our monthly staff meeting, two of my coworkers announced they are refusing to be vaccinated. Disappointing.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 26, 2021, 04:24:40 PM
During our monthly staff meeting, two of my coworkers announced they are refusing to be vaccinated. Disappointing.

Can I ask what is the reason behind why they are refusing?

How do they rationalize they do not want to be vaccinated?

By the way, good that we are not living under the authoritarian rule of a government which can make vaccination mandatory but I feel we are fast going there.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 26, 2021, 04:24:40 PM
IIRC, about 15% (1 out of 8) of US healthcare workers are like that.  My brother has a coworker who is refusing the vaccine because she got the flu vaccine last year and it "gave her the flu".  If you shake people like that, you can hear the marbles bounce around.

In the US in general, we hit 71% willing to take a covid vaccine, which is higher than it has been.  Split down political lines, unsurprisingly.  The way I try to put it to people is that the vaccine is your ticket back to restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, and stadiums.

I've heard that France of all places has a lot of anti-vaccine sentiment.  Bizarre.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on February 26, 2021, 04:45:08 PM
Can I ask what is the reason behind why they are refusing?

How do they rationalize they do not want to be vaccinated?

By the way, good that we are not living under the authoritarian rule of a government which can make vaccination mandatory but I feel we are fast going there.

They don't trust the vaccine not to have negative consequences. I have heard them talk and they don't trust the medical establishment (we work for a hospital) or pharmaceutical industry. They think people taking the vaccine are foolish. They also tend to be a bit rebellious and seem to take pride in refusing to participate.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 26, 2021, 05:33:48 PMThey don't trust the vaccine not to have negative consequences.
Which is a pretty wild argument for not protecting oneself from a disease that's killed at least 500k Americans so far, not to mention what's basically lung/heart maiming in some of the nastier nonlethal cases.  There are all kinds of negative consequences on the virus side of the equation.

Cassia

I think they should teach the Ice Cream truck drivers to vaccinate us. Upgrade the freezers... they already wear that white uniform and old school nurse hat. When you hear the music run outside and you are saved.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 25, 2021, 09:54:00 AM
Everyone who minimizes COVID should watch this.

I couldn't finish it. Sigh... I think I will be in my 50s when this thing is over. Seriously, it looks like it will take a decade.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp