News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Citing positive projections, California is lifting its stay-at-home order.  Seems like just a couple weeks ago, Los Angeles ICUs were overwhelmed.

QuoteThe projections for ICU capacities were made using a combination of models, according to state officials, the Associated Press (AP) reported Friday.

"At the moment the projections are not being shared publicly," a spokesperson for the CDPH said in an email at the time.
So...we have good projections, but we can't see those projections.  Hmmm.  Pretty sus.

And opening up based purely on ICU beds available seems like a bonkers metric.  Might as well open up based on available graveyard plots.

Granted, California's daily infected numbers and % tests that come back positive have both improved somewhat over the last couple weeks, but they're both still pretty high.  Add to that California's sluggish vaccination program - dead last in the country - and a new super-infectious covid variant native to California, and it seems prudent to wait just a few more weeks and let cases plummet, vaccines ramp up, and ICU staff catch their breaths before lifting restrictions.  Cause it's awful to prematurely lift restrictions only to reimpose them as cases go skyhigh.

SGOS

Not to worry.  The US is still less than 1/2 million deaths from Covid, we've got to open things up again to get there by the middle of February.  Masks, distancing, and isolating work.  They should have been mandated.  They should be now more than ever.

Hydra009

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-risk-map.html

Yikes.  My area is about 1 per 2000 people coming down with covid every single day.  That adds up pretty quickly.

But the good news is that the daily infected numbers continue to go down, NC is now in the high 5k infected per day (it was 8k just a couple weeks ago).  And daily cases in the US have declined - about half the Jan 8th peak - but as you can see from the map, we still have a long way to go.

Mr.Obvious

2% of our population is now vaccinated. Slow goings.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 27, 2021, 03:31:48 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-risk-map.html

Yikes.  My area is about 1 per 2000 people coming down with covid every single day.  That adds up pretty quickly.

But the good news is that the daily infected numbers continue to go down, NC is now in the high 5k infected per day (it was 8k just a couple weeks ago).  And daily cases in the US have declined - about half the Jan 8th peak - but as you can see from the map, we still have a long way to go.

Whatever Minnesota, Michigan, Maine are doing (+ whatever west of the Cascades in the PNW)... we need to start doing nationally.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

This thread will be exactly one year old Friday.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on January 27, 2021, 11:31:53 PM
This thread will be exactly one year old Friday.
It may be the most important political issue in the last year, and may still be.  Right now Virginia's vaccination rollout is a disorganized mess.

Mike Cl

The covid is without doubt, the worse health crisis in the world since the Spanish Flu.  But for this country it is the second worse crisis.  I think trumpism is our countries biggest danger.  We are not out of the woods yet.  Close to 200 congress people back him--and make no mistake, if he can overthrow our form of govt. he will.  If he is not voted to be removed by the Senate, then it is open warfare for trump and his minions.  Already his minions are running for public offices and I would not doubt that they will win.  There are far more white nationalists/nazi groups active than thought--and they are imbedded in both the military and police units across the nation.  These guys make the KKK look like pikers.  The danger is NOT over, and it may just be beginning.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

The latest projections are a setback due to new variants...almost 600K US projected dead by May, surpassing the total of our three biggest modern war fatalities in just 15 months. So great again.
World War II (1939-1945)   405,399
World War I (1917-1918)    116,516
Vietnam War (1965-1973)    58,209
----------------------------------------

Hydra009

Covid vaccination site blocked by pro-death protestors

The two enemies of humanity: the virus itself and complete lunatics who, mostly for stupid political reasons, have decided to resist all attempts to lower the death toll of the virus.

SGOS

These are the guys that see nothing wrong with destroying democracy too.  Trumpster lunatics have nothing to gain by this.  Well, maybe they do, but I don't know what it is. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2021, 12:10:43 AM
Covid vaccination site blocked by pro-death protestors

The two enemies of humanity: the virus itself and complete lunatics who, mostly for stupid political reasons, have decided to resist all attempts to lower the death toll of the virus.

Our European visitors are important to us.
This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.
[/i]

Goddangnmammit
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 31, 2021, 03:32:58 AM
Our European visitors are important to us.
This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.
[/i]

Goddangnmammit

Now I'm very curious as to what protections you are suppose to have that the U.S.A. doesn't mandate...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I've recently heard about another potential pandemic virus, called nipah. This one also comes from bats, fruit bats, and has a 40% - 75% mortality rate. let's hope the world has learned from the current situation. If not, we could be looking at real horror. Thank God (or the American electorate) we have a better leader in charge!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

While it's horrible here in the United States, when you look at what Italy went through at the start of the pandemic or what Egypt is going through now it could always be worse. The problem is that people think that because we have things even fractionally under control (and I use that phrase very loosely) and the death rate isn't too high... "Bro, see it's 99.9% survival! Yall need to stop being pussies and open things up!"... rather than the fact that the death rate isn't high exactly because we don't treat it like a hoax.

Anyways, in Egypt two hospitals last month ran out of oxygen for their ICU units, killing all patients in the wards.

That is what letting it get out of control means, or people dying from other conditions that they couldn't get treated for. How this is somehow rocket science is beyond me.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210104-egypt-entire-icu-ward-dies-after-oxygen-supply-fails/