News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

We'll be having some work at work, trying to make sure people have the correct info on vaccinations.
As some of you may know I am head of a team of social workers. And relatively more people in our client base seem susceptible to misinformation and misconceptions.
Apparently, we've got people who think vaccinations cause autism too. Here I was thinking that was an american thing.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I've been tracking the covid stats and there has been a pretty noticeable dip in daily cases over the past week - down from the all-time high at around 12k per day to 7k or less.

Not quite sure what to make of it.  I was hopeful before in mid August and the y-axis has grown so much since then that August looks some sort of paradise in comparison.  Hopefully, this is a real decline and it doesn't ratchet up again, but I'm going to give it a couple weeks before getting my hopes up.

Regardless, it looks like the US is going to officially hit 500k deaths by March no matter what.

SGOS

West Piedmont Health District
COVID-19 Vaccine Information

The West Piedmont Health District is currently awaiting a supply of vaccine, and no vaccine appointments are being taken at this time. As the situation changes, we will post here and on the West Piedmont Health District Facebook page and work with our local media to inform you.

You may also seek vaccination from your local healthcare system or pharmacy, but they are experiencing the same statewide vaccine shortage.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2021, 05:44:57 PM
Now that it has been over a week since the second shot, I decided to go to the gym. I purposely went at a slow time and there were few people there. It was very easy to maintain well over six feet distance from anyone. Everyone was wearing a mask but about a third of them were not wearing them properly. I felt comfortable and will start going regularly. I've definitely lost muscle.
It's amazing how muscle requires so much maintenance. Even beyond maintaining muscle memory for shooting baskets or skiing.  When I was in high school, I got into lifting weights along with a bunch of my friends.  We read the magazines, and followed the directions and advice, and we knew who was currently who in the global world of body building.

So one day, Mr. Universe or Mr. America (I can't remember which one) was scheduled to show up at our local sporting goods store, a Chicago Area chain called Mages, to promote weight training equipment.  I recognized him right away from his photographs.  He was bigger than I imagined, well over six feet, but the muscle mass was not there.  I knew it was around a year since his last competition, and guessed he hadn't been training.  I would describe him as looking more like a basketball player of that era, one of the pros, not the skinny ones.

There was a small crowd, like maybe 10 high school age friends, and some who I didn't know.  Mr. America was personable, and seemed like he actually liked talking to us.  He demonstrated how you would use weights and equipment, although there was nothing new there that we hadn't already learned.

My high school actually had a weight training club.  The teacher who was the club sponsor was surprisingly not a PE teacher.  He taught art, but he looked more in shape than any of the PE coaches.

Cassia

If I have to select aerobic vs weights because of time constraints; I always go with aerobics because the lungs are my weak spot. However... I try to get in at least 1/2 hour of each every day. Funny how some low energy days the same weight can seem 2x as heavy. ugh.

Being lean, my lifting workouts really "show" and that is kind of a motivator when you see change so fast. In my case, being leaner depends way more on eating less carbs than working out more. I think that as we grow older weight training benefits not only the muscles but the bones too! Plus strong core muscles = a straighter spine.

The virus really focused my attention towards health maintenance. More so than the desire to simply look good. I would say the 1 'semi-yucky' hour of workout per day does more for my quality of life than any other single hour. ;) I do not really enjoy that hour.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on January 20, 2021, 03:53:54 AM
It's amazing how muscle requires so much maintenance.

Lifting weights yesterday, I found it interesting that I had maintained certain muscles through my garage workouts but not others. My abs are just as strong as before but not my legs, particularly my glutes. Flat bench press wasn't so bad but my decline press was weak because I couldn't simulate that movement in the garage. I'm taking it easy going back because I feel like my muscles are currently not well balanced, which could result in injury.

GrinningYMIR

Supposedly as a supply chain worker I should be able to get the vaccine here at the end of January or beginning of February. However I am seeing different things being offered by the state and sometimes they say it is only allowed for postal workers for supply chain purposes. Other times I am seeing that all front line workers, including stuff like Fedex and UPS all the way up to local grocery stores, should be allowed to be vaccinated.

I dont know what they plan on doing truly. I see upwards of a thousand people a day, maybe a hundred on a slow day. COVID has already hit three or four of my coworkers, and I would sure as hell like my shot before Its my turn to step up to the plate.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shiranu

Dallas told that if the vaccines go to communities that need it most, particularly communities of color, then the State would not supply them with vaccines.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/01/20/dallas-vaccine-plan-communities-of-color/

QuoteFaced with the threat that the state might slash its vaccine allocation, Dallas officials on Wednesday reversed course on a plan that would have prioritized doses for people living in the county’s most vulnerable ZIP codes, primarily in communities of color.

A divided Dallas County Commissioners Court had voted Tuesday to prioritize vaccines at its Fair Park distribution center for individuals in mostly Black and Latino neighborhoods, a reflection of increased vulnerability to the coronavirus in 11 Dallas County ZIP codes, according to the Dallas Morning News.

In Texas and across the nation, communities of color have been hardest hit by the novel coronavirus, and health officials are grappling with how to ensure equity in the vaccine rollout. In Dallas, as in other major Texas cities, distribution sites are more commonly located in white neighborhoods, and early data showed the North Texas county had distributed most of its shots to residents of whiter, wealthier neighborhoods.

Likewise in Austin, the mayor is being told they will be receiving shipments of vaccines later than others because they are not a "hub".

Besides being one of the most gerrymandered states in the Union, our politicians are now literally trying to kill their opposition to keep them from voting, as our cities are Democrat strongholds that are inching closer and closer to throwing the Republicans out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

North Carolina seems to be slowly recovering.  Daily infected is down to low 7k or mid-high 6k.  % tests coming back positive has gone down to about 10%, but holding steady there.  Hospitalizations have slightly decreased, pulling back from the brink.

Vaccine rollout is still very slow, but they're starting to shift from small-scale vaccinations to mass-vaccination events at stadiums.  Makes sense.  The more people go to those stadiums as patients, the more people can go to those stadiums as spectators.

SGOS

Virginia is still far behind NC.  Some hospital workers have been vaccinated, but everyone else is on hold.  My Health district's vaccination site has no vaccine, and politely asks that you don't call.  My doctor is in another health district, and I thought maybe I could get vaccinated there.  They seem to have a plan, but no vaccine, and their site asks you to per-register with the notice that:

Please note: Pre-registering DOES NOT GUARANTEE AN APPOINTMENT OR A VACCINATION. As vaccines are available, VDH will contact pre-registered individuals to schedule an appointment at a local health department, pharmacy or other healthcare provider.

I know of no one beyond my dentist who has been vaccinated.  Mass vaccination events are not available and have not been even mentioned.

drunkenshoe

Have you seen the protests in Europe? Denmark, Nederlands, Germany, Czechia... I think this is about the financial crisis due to outbreak.

It's going to be very bad in Spring.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Actually, Hollands is against the curfew they are installing, so I've heard. Probably fueled by, amongst others, such discontent I'm sure.
Still, my advice to them would be take it in stride or we're all gonna suffer for a much longer time. We can't sit here and judge Trump's rallies over the past few months as stupid for being so large and then end up holding large gatherings ourselves.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 25, 2021, 01:58:44 AM
Have you seen the protests in Europe? Denmark, Nederlands, Germany, Czechia... I think this is about the financial crisis due to outbreak.
I've only heard about protests against lock downs and vaccinations, but not about a vaccine shortage.

drunkenshoe

Oh...yeah. But I was thinking about people losing jobs and going bankrupt. Numbers are horrifying. I don't think all those people in streets are only anti-vaccinators. Just till last June world wide job loss was estimated 400 million world wide. Apparently, 75 million will lose jobs in travel business only. (Independent) There is a very sharp rise in unemployment and it will continue to rise. (I don't trust any numbers here in anything with this government, so pass that.) 

How many of that will be permanent? That's the real question. UN says 25 million jobs will be lost world wide. And gives an estimated future working poverty between 10 million to 35 million.

Quarter of Europe’s jobs at risk from coronavirus crisis: report

https://www.politico.eu/article/quarter-of-europes-jobs-at-risk-from-coronavirus-crisis-report/

QuoteThe consultancy estimated that up to 59 million jobs are at risk of things like reduced working hours, temporary furloughs or permanent job losses. Unemployment could almost double in the coming months with staff most affected in areas like customer service and sales, food services and building occupations, the study, published Monday, found.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Yes, the outlook is grim.  We need to quit farting around, and confront this thing head on.  Even then, it will be grim, but the sooner we get the pandemic under control, the sooner we can start putting things back together again.