News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 21, 2020, 09:06:00 PM
They do here, and no one is required to wear a mask, and hardly anyone does, as reported to me by my church going neighbor.

Republicans ... faith healing
Democrats ... faith voting
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2020, 10:26:47 PM
For all the talk people make of science and religion coexisting amicably, the opposite is very widespread and noticeable during this pandemic.

Most of the scientists have been communists for years.  They have faith in Karl Marx.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2020, 10:26:47 PM
For all the talk people make of science and religion coexisting amicably...
It's hard to imagine how that would look.  The only way I can see them coexisting amicably is by ignoring each other, which is pretty much the way it is now.

The problem for theists is that theists don't want that.  They do selectively ignore, but as theists do with the rest of the society, theists want science to "see the light," and recognize the truths as they are described in the Bible.  Religious folly dearly wants the credibility that this would bestow.

The problem for science is that it won't see the Biblical truths, not because it doesn't want to, but because it simply can't.  Coexisting amicably, as theists would have it, is a fool's errand, not because scientists can't be nice, but because they would no longer be practicing science.  The common ground that is necessary does not and will not ever exist.

Baruch

Non-overlapping Magisteria by Stephen Jay Gould:

http://www.blc.arizona.edu/courses/schaffer/449/Gould%20Nonoverlapping%20Magisteria.htm

Of course you people can't share a country with any political party, other than your own.  And can't share a party with anyone with a deviant ideology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 09:17:16 AMIt's hard to imagine how that would look.  The only way I can see them coexisting amicably is by ignoring each other, which is pretty much the way it is now.
They definitely don't ignore each other when it comes to preventing disease, evolution, astronomy, etc.  Even something as simple as vaccination becomes subject to ridiculous fears like "the mark of the beast".  In fact, any time when religion is contradicted by science, there's a fight.  If I tried to come up with a religion that was as antagonistic towards science as possible, I doubt I could outdo existing religions with vast numbers of adherents.

If there was a society in which religion and science were harmonious, it would be one in which religion dwells entirely in the unknown and immediately cedes ground to science whenever anything becomes known.  Theoretically possible, perhaps even currently existing, but not in the slightest bit popular.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 22, 2020, 11:57:35 AM
If there was a society in which religion and science were harmonious, it would be one in which religion dwells entirely in the unknown and immediately cedes ground to science whenever anything becomes known.  Theoretically possible, perhaps even currently existing, but not in the slightest bit popular.
Pantheism?  When doing a quick mind check looking for exceptions to my own claim, I forgot that one.  But it's one of those "not the slightest bit popular" religions.  It's just a semantic argument that changes nothing about reality by calling it God.  Well then, my long dead golden retriever is God.  So there!

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 12:12:09 PM
Pantheism?  When doing a quick mind check looking for exceptions to my own claim, I forgot that one.  But it's one of those "not the slightest bit popular" religions.  It's just a semantic argument that changes nothing about reality by calling it God.  Well then, my long dead golden retriever is God.  So there!

Republicans who immediately ceed what is theirs to Democrat pressure?  Oh, they already do that, controlled opposition ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Texas National Guard deployed to help with morgue crisis

YIKES.  The bodies are literally piling up.

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys remember when Texas's Lieutenant Governor said that grandma and grandpa should be willing to die for the stock market?  Sounds like he's got some funerals to attend.

Hydra009

Meanwhile in Florida, Fort Lauderdale bars packed with maskless partygoers

QuoteThe Wharf’s ownership announced they would open this weekend with COVID-conscious changes in place. Emi Guerra, co-founder of Breakwater Hospitality Group, which also owns The Wharf Miami, told the Sun Sentinel there had been remodeling to promote social distancing. He also said capacity would be limited and masks would be worn by guests when they were not drinking or eating.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 22, 2020, 10:37:48 PM
Meanwhile in Florida, Fort Lauderdale bars packed with maskless partygoers
Not wearing masks and crowding up is one thing, but that guy's shirt is another...

Unbeliever

I just heard on KCBS that 2 million airfare tickets have been sold for TG flights. People just can't be bothered to care about a virus they don't believe in. Any vaccine, or anything else will be too little too late, so we need to be getting ready for a long haul. But we don't want to be "long haulers," who will be considered by the health insurance companies to have "pre-existing conditions."

I think, in other words, that this virus is here to stay.

But then, that could just be my pessimism getting the better of me.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Covid is a CCP beta bioweapon, I want to see their improved bioweapon!  Remember, never purchase the first release of any product ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Some people are fearful of taking a vaccine but will gladly take any substance handed to them on a dancefloor, a party, or the back alley of a gym. If a COVID vaccine was mixed with Percocet then Americans would be lining up.

Hydra009

So NC hit 4500 cases yesterday.  4500 per day.  Yikes.

Fortunately, I live in a county with better figures than the state average.  About 300 cases per 100,000 every two weeks, about half or a third of some of the harder-hit counties.  Some counties are pushing 10-16% positive rate, while others are more like 5-6%.  While the latter isn't ideal, it's not nearly as catastrophic as the first.

This disease seems to have hit the major cities first, then spread out into the medium-sized cities, now it's going nuts in some rural counties I've barely ever heard of.  It still hasn't hit all the rural counties hard, but I expect that to change with Thanksgiving/Christmas travel.

I'm curious to see if the major cities get another surge of cases (essentially recirculating the virus) or if this virus is going to run rampant in rural areas but die down after it essentially runs out of new places to expand into.

GSOgymrat

A summary of an interesting article.

Your Individually Rational Choice Is Collectively Disastrous

1. MISLEADING FEEDBACK: Let’s assume, for example, that going to a large indoor gathering gives you a one in 20 chance of contracting COVID-19â€"a significant risk. Most likely, you’ll get away with it the first time. You’ll then infer that taking part in such gatherings is pretty safe, and will do so again. Eventually, you are highly likely to fall sick.

2. INDIVIDUALLY RATIONAL, COLLECTIVELY DISASTROUS: The dynamic here is reminiscent of classic collective-action problems. If you go to one dinner, you’ll likely be fine. But if everyone goes to one dinner, the virus will spread with such speed that your own chances of contracting COVID-19 will also rise precipitously.

3. DANGERS ARE HARD TO RECOGNIZE AND AVOID: Many of the dangers we face in life are easy to spotâ€"and we have, over many millennia, developed biological instincts and social conventions to avoid them. Take the case of fire. Most hot objects are easily identified. Your body tells you to stay away from them. Our societal norms discourage people from playing with fire. Everything conspires to keep us safe. When we deal with an unaccustomed danger, such as a new airborne virus, we can’t rely on any of these protective mechanisms.