News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

New York cancels 10,000-person wedding, switches to block-by-block approach

Quote"A cluster signifies a lack of compliance, common sense. The only answer is more enforcement," Cuomo said.
QuoteCuomo said Orange, Rockland, Queens and Brooklyn counties contain micro-clusters.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

How can a wedding have 10 000 attendees?! How can a wedding even have a couple of hundred attendees? Yes you can be acquainted with that many people or maybe even more but that's not the number of people you know. Nobody knows a couple of hundred people who they would actually invite to their wedding, doesn't matter who they are or what their job is. That's not a wedding, it is something else. This is too stupid. Everything is too stupid.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2020, 01:28:19 PM
How can a wedding have 10 000 attendees?! How can a wedding even have a couple of hundred attendees? Yes you can be acquainted with that many people or maybe even more but that's not the number of people you know. Nobody knows a couple of hundred people who they would actually invite to their wedding, doesn't matter who they are or what their job is. That's not a wedding, it is something else. This is too stupid. Everything is too stupid.

It is ultra-orthodox Jewish, and a Rebbe or close relative is getting married, so all members of that particular ultra-orthodox Jewish sect have to "bless" the marriage.  Beyond tribal ;-)  Periodic "potlatch" in ancient Celtic or pre-Celtic society was similar.  This is part of what people were doing at Stonehenge (based on all the food remains found in the area).  I would suspect a "hieros gamos" was involved at Stonehenge, as it was at the top of the temple in Babylon with a priest representing Marduk and a priestess representing Ishtar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Yeah, probably. We have the same shit. That's offensive to all species, everything that exists ffs.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2020, 01:50:35 PM
Yeah, probably. We have the same shit. That's offensive to all species, everything that exists ffs.

Example from 2013 ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/25-000-attend-huge-wedding-between-ultra-orthodox-jewish-families-8627632.html

This is incredibly ancient, over 3000 years old from Babylon.  We are offensive to our based ancestors ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2020, 01:28:19 PMHow can a wedding have 10 000 attendees?! How can a wedding even have a couple of hundred attendees?
I dunno.  Normally, weddings only have a couple hundred, tops.  And that was before covid.

After a little light googling, it appears to be a Hasidic Jewish wedding.  Apparently, at least some of the Orthodox Jewish community in NYC is having some trouble following covid guidelines.  Rules for thee, not for me.

No doubt they're part of the clusters of covid shirk Cuomo was referring to in the previous news article.  Because in this article, he points at them directly:

“Some of the complexity of the enforcement here, especially with members of the Orthodox community, they never comply with the rules,” Cuomo said.

There has been a recent spike in coronavirus cases in New York, particularly in a few hot spots, including some haredi (ultra-Orthodox) neighborhoods.

Baruch

JDL can solve that by taking out the Italian-Americans ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Oof. They are all the same. 

Hydra009

A friend of mine: We should go see a movie
Me: Indoors?  At a movie theater?
Friend:  Yeah.
Me:  I dunno if that's safe...
Friend:  It's probably pretty safe.

The movie theater:

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Here comes the Fall wave to the Northern Hemisphere. The virus is everywhere now, people will be congregating indoors. We have large numbers of people who are "fatigued" by the whole thing (but the medical community thankfully knows better how to save lives.) The holidays will probably consist of a multitude of mini-super-spreading events as hapless family and friends kill off their remaining compromised loved ones.

I have been getting "attempted guilt" probes from friends and family already concerning get togethers for the holidays. My resounding response so far has been "grow the fuck up already".

Baruch

Death comes whether you hide under a rock or not.  But no big family gatherings are even possible for me ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on October 19, 2020, 06:43:39 AM

I have been getting "attempted guilt" probes from friends and family already concerning get togethers for the holidays. My resounding response so far has been "grow the fuck up already".

So far I've limited my response to, "It's not a wise thing to be doing."  But the only family I have left is my sister and her husband, and they still take the pandemic seriously, so I haven't needed to be so blunt.  But I hear your frustration.  I'm getting tired of seeing careless thoughtless people.  And it is frustrating because you can't beat them up to knock some sense into them, not because it's against the law, but because you could get an infection.

Let's face it, you can't win doing the right thing on this one.  However, you can lessen your chances of getting the virus yourself, and maybe more importantly, lessen your chances of infecting anyone else.  Why this is so hard for some people is something I don't understand.