News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

"DHS Proposes Massive Expansion Of "Biometric Modality" Collection" .. American version of Chinese dictatorship, it is bipartisan
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

So Florida is the worst? But why? I'm really curious about what makes the difference between similar cities in the same culture.

I know there is a big elderly population because it is warm. Anything else?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Donald Trump doesn't like Florida?

"France reports highest daily coronavirus spike since pandemic began, India sees record rise" ... if we are going to statistics monger ... how can communism stop this too?

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

So glad we turned the corner. Let's party !!! Wahooo!
In the US 39,282 people contracted C19 yesterday. The current US death rate for all reported cases is 4.78%, just below 5%. Treatment is getting better. So let's say only 2% of yesterday's positive cases will die. This means 785 Americans received a death sentence yesterday. Some probably know they are done, some probably don't know they are done.

In fact, some 707 Americans did die of the hoax yesterday. A classic Boeing 737 carries about 150 passengers. This means 5 typical passenger planes worth of people crashed and died. On average, during WW2, 220 U.S. service personnel died per day. WW2 was a mathematical cakewalk compared to this. Yet during the war Americans reduced their speed limit to 30MPH to save rubber. Millions volunteered for service. Women working 12 hour shifts in the factories. People on the coast read by candlelight. Captain bone spurs can't be bothered to wear a frigging mask. The US will have to work very hard to undo all the damage caused by wishful thinking asshats. Forest management. What a moron.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 13, 2020, 03:19:35 AM
So Florida is the worst? But why? I'm really curious about what makes the difference between similar cities in the same culture.

America isn't a singular culture. Regions vary greatly. Texas alone is more than big enough to be its own country, and even we have big differences between regions. And that's just one of the nation's 50 states. This one country makes up half the fucking continent.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Florida is stereotyped (perhaps unfairly) as a state with a serious drug problem combined with reckless behavior.  It probably doesn't help things that it has subtropical/tropical climates (heat + dehydration = mental fogginess) and a large amount of alligators.

I personally know someone from Florida and they have the oddest habit of wearing flip-flops nearly everywhere, which I find baffling.  NC terrain is often very muddy or rocky.  Flip-flops are useless except in the driest meadows or the beach.  Imho, the ideal setup is sneakers for everyday travel and hiking boots for the parks.  And the less exposed skin during mosquito season (april-october) the better.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2020, 05:10:07 PM
Florida is stereotyped (perhaps unfairly) as a state with a serious drug problem combined with reckless behavior.  It probably doesn't help things that it has subtropical/tropical climates (heat + dehydration = mental fogginess) and a large amount of alligators.

I personally know someone from Florida and they have the oddest habit of wearing flip-flops nearly everywhere, which I find baffling.  NC terrain is often very muddy or rocky.  Flip-flops are useless except in the driest meadows or the beach.  Imho, the ideal setup is sneakers for everyday travel and hiking boots for the parks.  And the less exposed skin during mosquito season (april-october) the better.
And as I learned living in Alabama, gnats drive one nuts--go everywhere.  And chiggers bite the shit out or you and make you dance you are scratching so much.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I was introduced to the chigger in Virginia.  I'll take 500 mosquito bites over a chigger bite.  I spray my lawn with something called Permethrin to kill them.  That chemical may be the single most expensive lawn treatment I use, and I pay for it with a smile on my face.

As for flip flops, I owned one pair about ten years ago.  I bought them in Hawaii when I lived on my boat.  I could not get regular shoes to dry out, so I bought them because they were so common.  They served their purpose, but for hiking on the volcanoes, I used hiking boots.  The rest of the time, just flip flops.

Mermaid

Recently, it's been a red state, and known for a certain, uhm, redneck population.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2020, 05:10:07 PM

I was hiking a trail outside Gatlinburg, TN that was out-and-back 12.5 miles with a 3,261 ft elevation gain. I passed a group of women, two of whom were wearing flip-flops. I passed them again on the way back down and the women were crying with bloody feet trying to make it back down the mountain. I offered to send help but they said no. The only place I wear flip-flops is the beach.

Photo of the trail:

drunkenshoe

I do know the US is huge and includes very different cultures. That goes for the most of the planet. Trust me that's not something about size. Though in your case as the country is a young immigrant country, it is probably more diverse, but the vast space should have made a bit of difference, no?

Anyway, from the beginning it seems that the culture of a region is playing a significant role in the outbreak. I know 'culture' is a a big word, a huge concept. But besides the outbreak, when I hear names like Florida -and for example Texas, and some other well known US states around the world- about something, I often wonder if it's a point pushed back and forth between bad reputation, stereotype and reality as Hydra said. That's why I'm asking. I haven't heard the name Florida for any good thing yet. But then Mermaid's remark about a certain culture makes sense too in this case. A similar thing going on here and I suspect many other places.

For example, Italy didn't surprise me at all. It's fucking Mediterranean, man. It's not gonna change. The culture of the region has specific traits -which also extends to Greeks, Turks...Balkans- it is slow, lazy, no professionalism, very indulgent, laid back, underdeveloped. We're fucked. It's very different than...for example central Europe obviously. But then there is British culture with some opposite traits seems in very big trouble, immediately makes me think people living on top of each other but then what else?

So it's not just climate. Eating habits? Individual hygiene? Cultural hygiene? There must be some basic map beneath this. I'm really curious about the cultural aspects. Researches are going to take dacades. It's fascinating.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Only a few Mount Everest climbing expeditions this year due to C19. Past few years were ridiculous with all the traffic jams and sometimes fatal results from waiting your turn.

Baruch

Italy has 320,000 Chinese guest workers, who went home for Chinese New Year and brought back the trendy germ.  But if someone wants to blame Italian culture, go right ahead.

"A Tale Of Two Mass Gatherings: Sturgis "Super Spreader" Bike Rally Vs Black Lives Matter "Fiery But Mostly Peaceful" Protests" .. protestors are zombies looking for brains.  They can't catch Covid.

"Australia Is A Full Scale Pilot Test For The New World Order" ... got it, mate!

The planned reaction to pandemic ... lockdowns, since 2006 ... but in UK ... Lord Sumption interview: “What will survive this crisis is a taste for coercion...Our govt has learnt that if you frighten people enough, they will in large numbers submit to your wishes and power is intoxicating.”

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

It usually takes 'em a while, but eventually they'll figure it out.

Baruch

Originally, the lockdown was to prevent the ICUs from being overwhelmed.  That mostly worked.  But the reasons have moved on, now in the US to help elect Biden ;-)  I would trust more if doctors (god complex) and politicians (god complex) weren't involved ;-p
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.