News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on August 05, 2020, 10:29:16 PM
Do you think extroverts are having a more difficult time during this crisis? Being a bit of a loner I will admit that for the first 4 months I was sort of glad about how easily I could just blow everyone off. Of course I miss playing piano in various venues and with other musicians, but I don't miss that as much as I thought I would.

I am an introvert.  My wife and I have isolated ourselves since March.  It bothers her a bit, but not me.  I do not think the virus will go away any year soon.  I am prepared to simply stay home--period.  I don't mind.  I don't become bored.  I will never lack for things to do with me, myself and I---and my wife.  And our 3 dogs.  We had pizza delivered yesterday for the first time since covid.  Hey--pizza once every 3/4 months, I'm good to go--err, stay.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on August 05, 2020, 10:29:16 PMDo you think extroverts are having a more difficult time during this crisis?
Yes.  Imo, they were the first to take to the streets after 2-3 weeks of being cooped up and then decided to party hearty.  All those people packing into restaurants when they first reopened are probably disproportionately extroverts.

Introverts can manage being a bunker for weeks, extroverts cannot.

And I'm getting well off topic here, but I have a hunch that a lot of the variation in human behavior/temperament is due to strictly biological reasons.  While I do hold that there is a roughly 50/50 mix of nature and nurture, I think that nurture is often overemphasized and nature underemphasized.

The elephant in the room is the toxoplasma parasite - which is currently residing in over 25% of the human population.  It doesn't normally cause serious health problems in humans, but it is correlated with risk-taking behavior.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, any society needs daredevils to some degree and a lot of careers are inherently risky.  But on the other hand, we also need people to have a healthy appreciation of safety and to be risk-averse.  There has to be a balance between the two.

Let's say, hypothetically, the US gets hit with some deadly disease and the fate of the country depends entirely on bolstering risk-averse behavior and dialing back risk-seeking behavior.  The toxoplasma people may be less likely to comply with public health rules, hurting the entire community.  This is all just a hunch, I don't have any hard data to go on, though I would positively jump at the chance.

Another example is the dumb, lazy Southerner stereotype.  Turns out that it's not their fault - they were victims of a debilitating parasite. And this isn't ancient history - this parasite wasn't really eradicated until 1985.  So this is living memory.

From there, you can just go down the list of all the diseases and conditions and also rather innocuous stuff, and learn how all these little things add up to a huge influence on the human psyche.  After all, we're no less dependent on nature and subject to nature than any other species.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 06, 2020, 12:27:24 AM
The elephant in the room is the toxoplasma parasite - which is currently residing in over 25% of the human population.
Fascinating. I agree that biology is often underappreciated. We like to think we can control things. The randomness of nature seems so cruel to us and we rationalize and explain it in all sorts of ways. The only true mitigation is science.

SGOS

Extroverts probably don't even know they are extroverts, possibly because they are the norm.  Well they seem like the norm because when they gather in large crowds, you don't see the introverts, except for those who get caught in the crossfire.  I simply do not do well in groups, unless there is some specific function and the group is focused on common endeavor.  Then I feel quite at home.  But just being with people for the sake of being with people doesn't make sense to me.

I'm close friends with an extrovert couple, so I'm often invited to dinner.  After I accept, but never before, I am told there will be a couple of other people there.  I feel like I've been set up, because the fact that it's a large group is never disclosed.  In fact, a couple of people actually means 12 to 15 and sometimes as high as 25 others, many who I don't even know.  I doubt that it is an intentional set up.  It's just the way group oriented people describe a gathering.  There is something fashionable about calling a large group as just a few.  It is understated to create a perception of intimacy.  And maybe for them it is intimate.  For me the whole experience is a paradox of loneliness. 

I would image for extroverts the stay at home request is an imposition.  I can't imagine it's a big one, but it may be.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2020, 07:11:04 AM
Extroverts probably don't even know they are extroverts, possibly because they are the norm.  Well they seem like the norm because when they gather in large crowds, you don't see the introverts, except for those who get caught in the crossfire.  I simply do not do well in groups, unless there is some specific function and the group is focused on common endeavor.  Then I feel quite at home.  But just being with people for the sake of being with people doesn't make sense to me.

Are you talking about me?  Yeah, you are talking about me.  That's me.  My version of hell would be a crowded bar.  Or a big dance.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 06, 2020, 08:20:10 AM
Are you talking about me?  Yeah, you are talking about me.  That's me.  My version of hell would be a crowded bar.  Or a big dance.
I was talking about me, and at one time, I thought I was the only one.  Since then, I have realized that there are many others like me, but I think we are a minority, although I've never seen any data to support that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

I rely on the toxoplasma parasite and cat carried coronavirus ;-)

"Robot Uses Face Scanning AI To Ask People To Wear A Mask" ... I prefer the Dalek video I shared

"US Government And Yale Hold Trials On How Best To "Persuade" Americans To Take COVID-19 Vaccine" ... bayonets persuade

"LA Mayor Threatens To Shut Off Water And Power At Homes Hosting Parties: Virus Updates" ... LA is a Red Chinese territory with the rest of the West Coast

"UK Gives Town Councils Power To Bulldoze 'Contaminated' Homes To Contain Outbreak" ... UK is also Red Chinese territory, most town councils are controlled by Labour aka Communist Party.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Opening up my newsfeed to see what fresh hell is currently going on...

Georgia high school students risk punishment for exposing lax health standards

Shouldn't the school be working to fix the problem, not silencing whistleblowers?

Ohio governor sick with covid.  Afaik, this a rare case of a republican who took it seriously and got sick anyway.  It's a shame that some of his colleagues are dragging this thing out and putting people like him in harm's way.

The US is still the worst coronavirus hotspot in the world.  Not new, but apparently experts have to make it clear to idiots who noticeably struggle to read simple graphs on live TV and think that the US is doing just peachy because of some bizarre metric instead of the standard cases/deaths per 100k metric.  It is what it is.

And it's very important to grasp just how disproportionate this is - the US has only 5% of the world's population, but about 25% of the world's cases.

Baruch

Kill all Americans - CCP
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Teachers may go on safety strikes this fall

QuoteThe union adopted a resolution that calls for schools' physical reopenings to take place only in areas where the daily community infection rate among those tested is below 5% and the transmission rate is less than 1%.

The AFT's guidelines demand that areas reopening have "effective" COVID-19 tracing and isolation protocols in place.
Imo, that's not too difficult a demand in just about any other country.  You typically want the fires put out before you go back into the coal mine.

Baruch

I am sympathetic to teachers ... my Ex is one, and she starts school (in modified circumstances) in a week.  She seriously considered retiring and leaving the kids to their miserable fate.  I for one don't have to make that decision, but my daughter and I can become infected from my Ex.

But the imponderable is how much is this due to Dem connected labor unions?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Add Mississippi to the list - 6 students test positive, 1 staff tests positive, over 100 quarantined

Quote"We believe that most of these earlier cases are the result of community transmission, which further highlights the need for all community members to adopt and practice recommended safety measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus," Superintendent Lee Childress said in a statement.

"Schools will only be as safe as the community in which they operate," the superintendent said.
Hmmm...so if the community is not safe, and the school is only as safe as the community...

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2020, 02:29:56 AM
Add Mississippi to the list - 6 students test positive, 1 staff tests positive, over 100 quarantined
Hmmm...so if the community is not safe, and the school is only as safe as the community...

Shut them down forever.  Shut down every store and business.  Lock all the people up in their padded cells, because they can't deal with the reality of mortality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNDYCsUEzk

I am sorry people are frail and mortal and afraid.  But you won't find answers to that in atheism.  If you put all your hope in this present world, you can't escape into the past or the future, you are stuck.  And you are faced with doom.  You will lose everything you have, every person you know, you will even lose your self.  This is why, in the East, the wise seek to lose their self before they lose the rest.  In the West, this is heresy against our egomania and materialism.  Nihilists are like Buddhists, but without enlightenment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Only 42% Say They Will Submit To COVID-19 Vaccine, New Poll Finds" ... I will wait for the first million D-party guinea pigs.  Otherwise I am good with it.

"Over 70% Of Americans Afraid To Visit Doctor Due To COVID-19: Survey" ... even without lockdown, medicine isn't happening like it should.  Blame China.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.