News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 12, 2020, 11:16:10 AM
Good for him. Don't really like the man, but wouldn't wish his death upon him. Glad he made it.

Vampires like Macron and Merkel have nothing to worry about ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on April 12, 2020, 11:09:37 AM
Boris is better ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWy-bhgHpk

The point being, we should all be thankful to the medical staff on the front line.  I am glad, when I was in that position, the fears of anthrax, small pox and ebola didn't come true.

Yeah, glad hes pulling through.

However what he said raised an unspoken point. As the prime minister, as a world leader, he is privy to having 2 nurses watching him 24 hours a day to avoid complications.
This same privy cant be afforded to every common man in a hospital bed, if it takes nurses to monitor people every moment, there just isn't the manpower to do this.

This is why people must obey the isolation laws, and take the strain off the doctors and nurses, and ultimately save more strain on things like the nhs and more deaths
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on April 12, 2020, 11:56:13 AM
Yeah, glad hes pulling through.

However what he said raised an unspoken point. As the prime minister, as a world leader, he is privy to having 2 nurses watching him 24 hours a day to avoid complications.
This same privy cant be afforded to every common man in a hospital bed, if it takes nurses to monitor people every moment, there just isn't the manpower to do this.

This is why people must obey the isolation laws, and take the strain off the doctors and nurses, and ultimately save more strain on things like the nhs and more deaths
It also underlines the horrible US healthcare situation. People who can't afford healthcare will just die, I guess.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

“Healthcare” in the US is an oxymoron. It is really unofficially “money care”.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on April 12, 2020, 12:25:35 PM
It also underlines the horrible US healthcare situation. People who can't afford healthcare will just die, I guess.

I guess it does.

There have been horror stories of nurses and doctors here who have had to decide on those who can be saved and those who they need to leave to die.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on April 12, 2020, 01:47:56 PM
I guess it does.

There have been horror stories of nurses and doctors here who have had to decide on those who can be saved and those who they need to leave to die.
Triage.  That's been going on the US when hospitals get overloaded.  Only so many ventilators to go around, so some people are unavoidably going to get shafted.  That's why flattening the curve is so important.  A lot of people don't understand that risky behaviors have consequences far beyond themselves.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 12, 2020, 02:34:17 PM
Triage.  That's been going on the US when hospitals get overloaded.  Only so many ventilators to go around, so some people are unavoidably going to get shafted.  That's why flattening the curve is so important.  A lot of people don't understand that risky behaviors have consequences far beyond themselves.

It's why I'm so glad those nearest to me have the common sense to not go out unless vital to do so.

trdsf

That's essentially the Republican long term health care plan -- hope people die before they qualify for Medicare and they have to grudgingly provide a dribble of assistance.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I noticed in the video that Boris was thanking the NHS, the nurses and doctors for their service, and the British people for working together to contain the Virus.  When this is over in the US, I can picture Trump telling everyone we should be thanking him for getting the virus under control.

Baruch

And from accidents, aging, suicide etc.  If you can't afford a mansion, you will just have to live in a hovel ...

It is true, that a national health care system is possible ... but you have to cut other government programs, including the military.  But that still won't create instant doctors, nurses etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on April 12, 2020, 01:47:56 PM
I guess it does.

That is what happens, when you don't have enough beds, enough doctors, enough nurses.  But I thought the NHS didn't have those problems ... because it is well funded, and manned by many immigrants (so less chance you run out of medical personnel by borrowing them from Portugal and NZ (per Boris)).

Yes, doctors make life/death decisions any day they have a patient in critical condition.  Glad I am not a doctor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 12, 2020, 05:01:51 PM
That's essentially the Republican long term health care plan -- hope people die before they qualify for Medicare and they have to grudgingly provide a dribble of assistance.

Dem plan is to create communist cadre members?  What does that have to do with medicine anyway?  In general, it is necessary for everyone to die of something eventually ... regardless of which magic politician they vote for.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on April 12, 2020, 05:01:51 PM

When discussing healthcare with someone my first question is whether they agree that everyone should have access to affordable healthcare. If they disagree, we are not going to get anywhere. I can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different healthcare systems but I believe everyone should have access to healthcare, just as I believe everyone should have equal treatment under the law. From the other end of the spectrum, I think people need to accept that healthcare will always be rationed because resources are not unlimited. The question is who will be the gatekeeper: insurance companies, Medicare, physicians, etc.

Hydra009

Anyone who says no to the first question is an idiot of the highest order, displaying not only a startling lack of empathy but also a fundamental ignorance of how interconnected humanity is.  Someone else not getting the healthcare they need doesn't affect just that person, it ripples out to other people.

It's like living in a city of wood and declaring that only some fires should be put out.  It takes a really crazy person to say that and an even crazier one to pretend that it's sensible.

Shiranu

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-cases-on-uss-roosevelt-spike-to-550/ar-BB12usOA?ocid=st

QuoteThe U.S. Navy on Saturday confirmed 103 new cases of the coronavirus onboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, bringing the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier's positive cases to 550. The ship's outbreak has been in the spotlight since Captain Brett Crozier sent a memo pleading for help before being fired, leading to the acting Secretary of the Navy resigning in response.

As of now, the USS Roosevelt remains deployed and according to sources aboard the ship the infected have not been given adequate access to medical care as well as having other resource-related issues. The most recent number seems to be over 600 infected.

For those who didn't catch it, the Captain of the Roosevelt was recently relieved of command after leaking the situation aboard the ship to the media. He did this after multiple attempts to inform the Pentagon that the situation was rapidly deteriorating and was ignored every time. He did what was necessary to protect the safety of his crew and was punished for it.

If there is one thing I've learned from history, it's that when a government loses the support of their military and leaves them to die it always ends amazingly well for the government with not one negative side effect.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur