News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 20, 2020, 06:10:06 PM
Well I just spent the afternoon where I didn't want to be. In the emergency room. I chopped the end of my finger off with the table saw. The good news is the place was practically abandoned. Just one other person in the waiting room that walked in right in front of me. The bad news is she had a nasty cough and was there because she was worried about having Covid-19. I was wearing a N-95 mask for the dust while I was working and didn't take the damn thing off until I got back home. The first thing I did when I got home was strip in the garage, put my cloths in a trash bag, carried them straight to washer, then took a long shower. Hopefully I don't die...

Fuck pops, that's a shit day. :(

Did they reattach the fingertip?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 10:03:20 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8130433/amp/Sam-Smith-goes-stages-quarantine-meltdown-self-isolation.html?__twitter_impression=true

On the one hand I want to showcase that this is an example that anyone can be depressed and feeling down in this kind of isolation, bad mood can set in.

On the other hand, he lives in a 12 million dollar house.. He's probably got bidet's in all his 5 bathrooms.

Good thing I am introverted.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 20, 2020, 09:32:32 PM
Right now that's funny. Tomorrow when the block wears off maybe not...
I cut my right index off at the first knuckle when I was about 20. I can honestly say, it has never bothered me in the least. Course I’m left handed, that probably was the difference.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 21, 2020, 02:43:00 AM
Fuck pops, that's a shit day. :(

Did they reattach the fingertip?

Wasn't much left to attach. I got about 1/4" of it, and most of that was hamburger. It did get the end of the bone though so their biggest worry is infection.

Quote from: aitm on March 21, 2020, 08:08:20 AM
I cut my right index off at the first knuckle when I was about 20. I can honestly say, it has never bothered me in the least. Course I’m left handed, that probably was the difference.

Left index finger, and I'm right handed so shouldn't to much in the way of long term problems. So far there hasn't been much pain to speak of, but the doc told me it was going to hurt today when the nerve block wears off.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 21, 2020, 09:43:52 AM
Left index finger, and I'm right handed so shouldn't to much in the way of long term problems. So far there hasn't been much pain to speak of, but the doc told me it was going to hurt today when the nerve block wears off.
I took a while to respond, because I didn't know what to say.  I'm sorry to hear about this whole thing.  All of us who work around sharp tools are aware of the possibility of injury.  Sometimes, I'm even surprised at myself owning the tools that I do, because I am borderline obsessively afraid of the things.  When I take out my chain saw my first reaction is fear.  I'm about to do something dangerous, and if I were religious I would probably pray when I'm about to start the thing up.  I tell myself, I'm not really qualified to use these things, but I own table saws, circular saws, routers, and chain saws because they are remarkably helpful and necessary for the tasks they do.  But they are dangerous.

My close friend's father in Montana worked in a small part of the lumber mill called the box factory, which essentially took those left overs from the saw mill and cut them to specific sizes to make boxes for whoever ordered a freight car full of boxes, or at least box parts.  The box factory comprised less than one tenth of 1% of the entire mill, but it made money with the left overs.  There may have been only 4 guys on a shift.  And only one guy, the foreman (my friend's father), ran the saw.  He was missing one finger, as I heard was also the case with the other foremen on other shifts.  When I watched the operation, I was actually surprised any saw operator  had any fingers at all.

The saw had three 10 or 12 inch blades all spinning on their own arm attached to a central axis.  The axis rotated fast with the arms and blades popping out of the table at regular intervals of maybe 2 seconds. There were no safety guards, and every couple of seconds the operators hand would be in the path of the blade while adjusting a guide that set the length of the board according to how long the scrap was.  I would guess every minute produced 30 box parts of assorted length.  It was insane, but part of the job.  I will never forget that little bitty part of the mill where no lives were lost but hundreds of fingers must have been.

Here's to a speedy recovery.  Be careful, and may that be your last bad experience in your shop.

Baruch

More US Covid news:

"Army Deploys To New York As NYC Reports 1 Coronavirus Death Per Hour On Friday" ... Army Corp of Engineers, to assist setting up alternative hospital locations.

"National Guard Chief: Don't Federalize Us To Fight Outbreak - Will Waste "Billions"" ... Chicken Little reaction by governors and mayors hurt

Non-US Covid news:

"Kenyan Man Stoned To Death By Mob "For Having Coronavirus"" ... all cultures equal?  Meanwhile "diverse" youth gangs attempting to storm grocery stores in London and Paris.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2020, 10:27:51 AM
I took a while to respond, because I didn't know what to say.  I'm sorry to hear about this whole thing.  All of us who work around sharp tools are aware of the possibility of injury.  Sometimes, I'm even surprised at myself owning the tools that I do, because I am borderline obsessively afraid of the things.  When I take out my chain saw my first reaction is fear.  I'm about to do something dangerous, and if I were religious I would probably pray when I'm about to start the thing up.  I tell myself, I'm not really qualified to use these things, but I own table saws, circular saws, routers, and chain saws because they are remarkably helpful and necessary for the tasks they do.  But they are dangerous.

My close friend's father in Montana worked in a small part of the lumber mill called the box factory, which essentially took those left overs from the saw mill and cut them to specific sizes to make boxes for whoever ordered a freight car full of boxes, or at least box parts.  The box factory comprised less than one tenth of 1% of the entire mill, but it made money with the left overs.  There may have been only 4 guys on a shift.  And only one guy, the foreman (my friend's father), ran the saw.  He was missing one finger, as I heard was also the case with the other foremen on other shifts.  When I watched the operation, I was actually surprised any saw operator  had any fingers at all.

The saw had three 10 or 12 inch blades all spinning on their own arm attached to a central axis.  The axis rotated fast with the arms and blades popping out of the table at regular intervals of maybe 2 seconds. There were no safety guards, and every couple of seconds the operators hand would be in the path of the blade while adjusting a guide that set the length of the board according to how long the scrap was.  I would guess every minute produced 30 box parts of assorted length.  It was insane, but part of the job.  I will never forget that little bitty part of the mill where no lives were lost but hundreds of fingers must have been.

Here's to a speedy recovery.  Be careful, and may that be your last bad experience in your shop.

Yea shop tools are dangerous. I've owed the offending table saw for 30ish years, and this was the first time I've been bit. It was a wrong tool for the job thing. I was resawing some small pieces to use as knife scales. I should have been using the band saw, but the blade I have on it drifts so bad it is impossible to cut a straight line so I tried something else. I was using push tools so I thought I was safe, but when I got to the end of the piece it kicked out knocked my hand into the blade.

As far as table saw injuries go it isn't really all that bad. I'm going to have a finger that's flat on the end instead of rounded with a really short nail. I've already been back out in the shop this morning and have the first of the 2 sets of scales I was working on glued up.

I was trying to turn a piece of this

Into these

For this

SGOS

I wouldn't have understood that without the photos.  Is that African Zebra Wood?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2020, 12:36:49 PM
I wouldn't have understood that without the photos.  Is that African Zebra Wood?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I got a good sized pile of exotic wood of several different species that had been left in a building the company bought.

In any case at this point I'm more worried about the possibility of being exposed to to the Corona virus while I was at the hospital than I am about the finger.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 21, 2020, 12:23:31 PM
More US Covid news:

"Army Deploys To New York As NYC Reports 1 Coronavirus Death Per Hour On Friday" ... Army Corp of Engineers, to assist setting up alternative hospital locations.

"National Guard Chief: Don't Federalize Us To Fight Outbreak - Will Waste "Billions"" ... Chicken Little reaction by governors and mayors hurt

Non-US Covid news:

"Kenyan Man Stoned To Death By Mob "For Having Coronavirus"" ... all cultures equal?  Meanwhile "diverse" youth gangs attempting to storm grocery stores in London and Paris.

So glad I don't live in a major city. Though I do live an hour's train from London
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 21, 2020, 12:59:27 PM
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I got a good sized pile of exotic wood of several different species that had been left in a building the company bought. 
When I was in my mid teens, my father bought me a hunting bow.  It had fiberglass recurve limbs, but the grip was Zebra wood.  I doubt that anyone ever commented on the bow, but to me, that bow was the most beautiful of any I had seen, and I had been around a lot of bows by that time.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 21, 2020, 12:59:27 PM
In any case at this point I'm more worried about the possibility of being exposed to to the Corona virus while I was at the hospital than I am about the finger.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to spend much time hanging out in emergency rooms right now.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 10:01:03 PM
I dunno if those people have been training their whole life for this. Think the only ones who have been training their whole life for this is gamers and recluses
I nearly qualify for the latter anyway.

(glances at his Steam library)

And probably the former.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2020, 01:28:30 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't want to spend much time hanging out in emergency rooms right now.

Shaped, sanded with a coat of Tru Oil. Soon to be for sale for the low low price of one left index finger tip.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 21, 2020, 01:15:32 PM
So glad I don't live in a major city. Though I do live an hour's train from London

Don't worry, zombies have no brains, so they can't drive, ride the bus or the tube ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.