News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on March 19, 2020, 08:12:13 AM
What's also got me worried, because I have convinced myself things will be okay long as we self isolate, what's worrying me is the fallout from this after it's finished.

Seeing reports of London looking to go on lockdown, bars, pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas closing down and workers for them going into isolation, but several have expressed they now fear so many of these places facing closer without customers.
I don't understand why this would be allowed, obviously places need to pay rent, you'd think the council's would put systems in place so such establishments don't be given foreclosure given the situation.

The problem is people who have been unable to work for weeks or months are not going to have the money to go to restaurants and theaters. Some of these businesses will close, which will put more people out of work. There are estimates that unemployment in the US may eventually reach 20%. This is why the US government is approving stimulus packages to put money in the hands of businesses and consumers to slow the downturn.

From FiveThirtyEight:

... Crises have a way of exposing inequalities that linger uncomfortably below the surface when times are good. A few groups of workers are particularly likely to lack both paid leave and the ability to work from home: part-time workers, the youngest and oldest people in the workforce (those under the age of 25 and over the age of 65) and workers who fall below the 25th percentile of earnings.

... “It’s a bad week to be a waiter, or a cashier, or any kind of contractor whose work relies on in-person interaction,” said Jesse Rothstein, a professor of public policy and economics at the University of California, Berkeley. “Those people are going to see dramatic cuts to their income â€" their hours might be reduced, or they might lose their jobs altogether.”

Taken together, all of these factors create a bleak outlook, no matter what happens next. People who don’t have access to paid leave and the ability to work remotely are disproportionately likely to be low-income, which means if their workplace isn’t shuttered, they’re more likely to keep coming to work out of necessity, even if they’re not feeling well. That can put them at greater risk of being infected, since their coworkers may be doing the same thing. Research has found some workers in the food service industry kept coming to work even though they had symptoms of norovirus because they were afraid of losing their job or leaving their coworkers short-staffed.

And the possibility that many will lose their jobs or have their hours cut because of the coronavirus creates a whole new set of problems. A survey conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation from March 11 to 15 found that 73 percent of workers with a household income of less than $40,000 a year, 68 percent of part-time workers, and 60 percent of self-employed workers are worried that they will lose income due to a workplace closure or reduced hours because of the coronavirus. According to that survey, part-time and self-employed workers are likelier than full-time or salaried workers to say they’ve already lost income so far.

If the shutdowns persist, some employers may go out of business, leaving workers who weren’t permanently laid off with no job to return to. “We have to start thinking about what’s going to happen when people can’t pay their rent or mortgage,” Rothstein said. “Because these workers are going to start burning through their savings â€" if they have any at all.”

GSOgymrat

This is a good video on what happens when people are infected with coronavirus.

https://youtu.be/OOJqHPfG7pA

trdsf

Welp, they've got us on the telecommuting bandwagon somehow (and not completely quite yet).  I will be in the office M-W and at home Th-F.  As it turns out, we can get into (almost) all our internal systems externally... but the one we're missing so far is a *big* one: our network shared drive, which is where everything happens for us.

Today was supposed to be my paid 'off' day; I just got called by my boss to clarify that the schedule we got put on yesterday and told goes into effect today... wasn't the actual schedule we were going to be on.  I can continue to stay home today, but I think I will go in anyway rather than burn my COVID time (they gave us 80 hours of that on top of our regular leave/sick time).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 12:41:39 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-pandemic-bangladesh-india-muslim-prayer-gathering-healing-verses-a9410476.html

Gotta pack like sardines to beat this easily communicable disease!

Just further proving why we need closed borders at this time. Wait for the Darwin awards there to drop off before opening again
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Hydra009

But hey, it's not all bad.  Air pollution has decreased a lot in Italy and China (and presumably, other places that have hunkered down to stop the spread of disease)

I went outside for a brief walk and I was amazed at what seemed like much more nature activity than normal - more and louder birdsongs than I remember.  It might have seemed like more than it was because of the lack of competing human noise.  Or people scaring them away.  Or bad memory.  But it definitely seemed like nature was more active and vibrant than previously.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 03:29:14 PM
But hey, it's not all bad.  Air pollution has decreased a lot in Italy and China (and presumably, other places that have hunkered down to stop the spread of disease)

I went outside for a brief walk and I was amazed at what seemed like much more nature activity than normal - more and louder birdsongs than I remember.  It could have just seemed like more than it was because of the lack of competing human noise.  Or scaring them away.  Or bad memory.  But it definitely seemed like nature was more active and vibrant than previously.

maybe because over 2k people have died in italy from it

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 19, 2020, 04:16:11 PM
because because over 2k people have died in italy from it

I don't think that Hyrda009 is Hydra or Thanos.  There are positive effects from bad events.  Particularly the effect on the "deplorables" from the result of the Black Death (labor rights and better wages).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 19, 2020, 04:20:09 PM
I don't think that Hyrda009 is Hydra or Thanos.  There are positive effects from bad events.  Particularly the effect on the "deplorables" from the result of the Black Death (labor rights and better wages).

pretty certain most governments dealing with pensions are all to happy to see those numbers decrease.

Hydra009

The only great thing about this pandemic is that now everyone has adopted my personal space ideal.

(if I can reach out and touch you, you're faaar too close.  10-30 feet, unless physically impossible or potentially lethal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szjdoVR5EKs

GSOgymrat

SGOS

I have friends that suggested we get together during the isolation.  I asked them if that didn't defeat the purpose of isolation, and they thought it would be OK, because we knew each other, and it would be safe.  My guess is that this will not be an uncommon situation to deal with.  Personal borders are going to vary a great deal, as will personal tolerances for risk.

Never in my life, and it's been a fairly long life, have I been encouraged to self quarantine and isolate.  This is definitely new social territory.  When I was very young, I heard of quarantine, but it was presented to me as an antiquated artifact of earlier times.  If I remember right, I was told it was not found to be effective, and no longer used.  Now here we are at full circle.  Isolation is not something most humans do naturally.