News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 14, 2020, 09:25:22 PM
Hopefully there is a familial or society support for shut-ins in general, not just extreme seniors.

I was expecting to start a course for hospitality training at my collage. I'm going to have to put that aside, also scarper any plans to get back into work until this is over with. Right now all I care about is keeping my family safe.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2020, 09:20:59 PM
I've just been informed that the library will be closed for at least 2 weeks, so I won't be around much for a while. I can use my phone, as I'm doing now. I'll have a hard time finding places to charge, though, so I won't be around as much, until things get better.
that is a blow for you--very unfortunate!  I wish you nothing but the best for the time it is shut down.  Damn!!  That really is too bad!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Draconic Aiur

Where I live nothing has happened yet and I'm partying like 1969! Live life if today is your last because as a smoker with diabetes and bronchitis when sick, if caught I'm a dead man.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 15, 2020, 05:41:55 AM
Where I live nothing has happened yet and I'm partying like 1969! Live life if today is your last because as a smoker with diabetes and bronchitis when sick, if caught I'm a dead man.

Go to Hollywood to join the Zombie TV shows ;-)

Two days ago we had our first panic attack at the grocery store ... I had to find another store to avoid all the people.  It hadn't happened until then, because it wasn't payday!  Yesterday I went back to the original store, and lots of things were stripped, but I got all I was looking for.  Meanwhile the town crier was still shouting "Bring out your dead" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

I jump at the chance to become famous! Maybe meet some female zombies!

trdsf

Well.  It is the end of the world.  The COVID-19 outbreak has just driven our local newspaper, a reliable house organ for the state GOP, to publish an editorial shitting on Trump's response to the outbreak and calling for universal healthcare:

Quote from: The Columbus Dispatch
To be sure, the Trump administration’s response has been erratic. It’s not just a matter of whether travel restrictions were enacted soon enough or broadly enough â€" experts can disagree on that. It’s the steady stream of misinformation from the president and his political appointees that reminds us just how irresponsible this administration can be.

To proclaim, as the very first cases were surfacing in the U.S., “We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine” was simply foolish and a reminder of Trump’s seeming inability to understand that he can’t make something true just by saying it.

He has contradicted those who do have accurate information, saying inaccurately that the country has the capacity to test anyone who wants to be tested and that a vaccine will be ready in a few months.

Closer to home, Gov. Mike DeWine inspires confidence with regular science-based updates and clear direction on measures to try to keep us safe.

Cancellation of schools, bans on large public gatherings and news of celebrities testing positive for the virus this past week made the seriousness of the situation much more real.

But what Trump most worries about â€" that virus fears and a falling stock market will hurt his reelection chances â€" has been transparently obvious.

Still, his abrupt Wednesday announcement that he will ban most travel from Europe sent the market into another steep dive.

Calling the administration on this malfeasance is legitimate, but a chorus of criticism and blame isn’t helpful.

As Americans frantically buy stores out of hand sanitizer in an effort to ward off a potentially deadly virus, it’s hard to imagine a better argument for at least some form of national health care. In light of this experience, the wisdom of making vaccines and infectious disease care available to all who might need it seems obvious.

Trump, ever focused on the stock market, has proposed drastic and expensive stimulus measures such as eliminating federal payroll taxes â€" which fund Medicare and Social Security â€" through the end of this year, costing the treasury close to $1 trillion.

He also is interested in “emergency aid” to oil and gas companies hurt by the slump in travel and the drop in oil prices. We hope Congress will consider the hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue and the record profit growth enjoyed by the oil and gas industry in 2019 and make that the nonstarter it should be.

Much more hopeful is a report that Trump is willing to consider reimbursing employers or workers for sick leave made necessary by the virus. Sick leave is another policy priority that should be obvious now.

People who don’t have paid sick leave and can’t afford to go without pay are much less likely to stay home when they might be sick. And the people most likely to have no health insurance or paid sick leave are those in low-paid service jobs â€" cooking and serving food, running cash registers â€" most likely to have broad contact with the public.

Will wonders never cease.

(And yes, I will agree that our Republican governor has been doing an excellent job under the circumstances -- it is a fortunate thing that Ohio isn't very good at extremism.)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

This is a rather surprising event.

Hydra009

Draconic Aiur

I hope this year screws the republican party to hell.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 15, 2020, 03:03:25 PM
I jump at the chance to become famous! Maybe meet some female zombies!

Warning, they only date college graduates.  They are looking for ... brains ... ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 15, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
I hope this year screws the republican party to hell.

I hope this year Chairman Xi becomes Emperor of the World.  He claims to have the cure.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

someone put up a twitter video showing what happened when a large group of monkeys were given a large pile of bread. they all gathered and each monkey only took one loaf and left the pile for the rest to take, all doing the same. The symbolism being even monkeys know about only taking what you need and leaving the rest of everyone else.

Baruch

"MOST OF FRANCE IGNORES GATHERING BAN, CORONAVIRUS, PROTESTS MACRON" ... the French are different ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

guy explains what it was like, he lives in wuhan, and had the worst case of the virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9oqvJ3iXGI

I've never had pneumonia before, scary prospects.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on March 15, 2020, 09:31:48 PM
someone put up a twitter video showing what happened when a large group of monkeys were given a large pile of bread. they all gathered and each monkey only took one loaf and left the pile for the rest to take, all doing the same. The symbolism being even monkeys know about only taking what you need and leaving the rest of everyone else.
Not only monkeys share but read the following:
Now, new research in Science suggests that rats are capable of empathy. The study tested how rats responded when their fellow rats were trapped, and found that they would not only spend time and energy deliberately helping their trapped companions, but they would even share food after liberating them.Dec 8, 2011

Apparently people are less civilized than monkeys and rats.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?