News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Seems like it's an escaped biotech weapon.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 01, 2020, 11:55:09 AM
Seems like it's an escaped biotech weapon.

Perhaps.  Meanwhile, Chinese officials are undercounting deaths, by reclassifying cause of death is pneumonia.  And they are burning bodies of victims.

Perhaps just more irresponsible bioethics violations, mixing genes and infecting lab animals.  And maybe an animal lover let the bats out of the belfry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Read the first couple of chapters of The Stand by Stephen King to get an idea of how this can go down.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I doubt it will be any worse than SARS or MERS. I guess it's the uncertainty that is causing concern, because we just don't know the future, and we're prone to fear because we like being scared.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mermaid

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 01, 2020, 01:31:15 PM
I doubt it will be any worse than SARS or MERS. I guess it's the uncertainty that is causing concern, because we just don't know the future, and we're prone to fear because we like being scared.
We know little about the virus, including where it originated, and know that it has potential to become a global pandemic. I see nothing wrong with the alarm bells.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 01, 2020, 04:15:46 PM
We know little about the virus, including where it originated, and know that it has potential to become a global pandemic. I see nothing wrong with the alarm bells.

Well then your just kinda following the fearmongering of mainstream news who use that fear to get your attention. The same thing happened with all recent outbreaks, sars, mers, ebola, bird flu, mad cow disease, yellow fever. These things exist, and still exist, but have been controlled and reduced, and all those diseases had the same chance of death as this one.
So really, what are we more likely to die of, a disease, getting hit by a car, or a heart attack? Any really, so there's little point thinking human race will be wiped out tomorrow just because a paper wants you to think that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

International medical community: "This is a serious issue of international concern, and all countries need to take this very seriously or it could explode into something far beyond our ability to handle."

Random people on the internet: "IT'S ALL THE MEDIA TRYING TO SCARE YOU!!!!"

Who to believe, who to believe...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 01, 2020, 01:31:15 PM

Already worse.  Are you defending germs to virtue signal your opposition to speciesism?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 01, 2020, 04:30:17 PM
Well then your just kinda following the fearmongering of mainstream news who use that fear to get your attention. The same thing happened with all recent outbreaks, sars, mers, ebola, bird flu, mad cow disease, yellow fever. These things exist, and still exist, but have been controlled and reduced, and all those diseases had the same chance of death as this one.
So really, what are we more likely to die of, a disease, getting hit by a car, or a heart attack? Any really, so there's little point thinking human race will be wiped out tomorrow just because a paper wants you to think that.

Without mad-cow disease, there would be no Brexit ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 01, 2020, 04:57:55 PM
International medical community: "This is a serious issue of international concern, and all countries need to take this very seriously or it could explode into something far beyond our ability to handle."

Russia and N Korea closed their borders with China.  Those people are dupes!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on February 01, 2020, 04:30:17 PM
Why is it a problem to sound the alarms? You say it's fearmongering, but we do not know enough to make that assessment.
I will believe science and not internet banter. Meanwhile, I will support the cautions. SARS, MERS, Ebola, etc, those are all outbreaks that occurred in the past. We know much about these diseases, where they came from and how to control them. This one is occurring in the present. We know little about it. "a paper" doesn't want me to think that. I want this information. If you don't, don't read it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 01, 2020, 04:57:55 PM

The international medical communities are taking it seriously, just like that did with all other pandemics.
So maybe calm your tits and have a little trust in this thing being handled, rather then thinking it's coming to get you while you sleep?

Unlike yourself I've actually got an added medical issue that could create even worse complications if infected, should I wall myself up ever flu season because of that?

Baruch

If all Media are lies, unless you know a Coronavirus victim, there probably isn't any Coronavirus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 01, 2020, 05:17:08 PM
The international medical communities are taking it seriously, just like that did with all other pandemics.
So maybe calm your tits and have a little trust in this thing being handled, rather then thinking it's coming to get you while you sleep?

Unlike yourself I've actually got an added medical issue that could create even worse complications if infected, should I wall myself up ever flu season because of that?

Panic is a self-induced illness.  Be smart, don't Panic!  Unless it is the Vogon destructor fleet!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 01, 2020, 05:16:23 PM
Why is it a problem to sound the alarms? You say it's fearmongering, but we do not know enough to make that assessment.

I didnt say alarms or awareness made of the disease shouldn't be made. I said just calm down, since theres always a new pandemic every year or so. And as a species we've not had another black death for some time.