News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Yeah, there's been a lot of how do I tie [bad thing] with [thing I disagree with politically] and man, it's a wild ride from A to B.

Dark Lightning

People sometimes just like to make shit up to make their world view look nice. Sad.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on November 27, 2021, 10:59:02 AM
"After detecting the Omicron variant, South Africa feels ‘punished’ by global travel bans."
https://unforumnet.com/south-africa-feels-punished-for-alerting-world-to-new-variant/

Where is your travel ban, South Africa? You detected a dangerous, new variant within your borders. Why are your borders not locked down?

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on November 29, 2021, 10:17:33 AM
Where is your travel ban, South Africa? You detected a dangerous, new variant within your borders. Why are your borders not locked down?
One does have to wonder.  I suppose as is the case here, many people don't have a problem with spreading a deadly virus to others, but don't want others to spread it to them.  South Africa has nothing to lose since they've got all the available viruses anyway.

They do point out that maybe they wouldn't have this new strain if the US wasn't hogging all the vaccines, and they may be right about that.  It's a shitty world.

Blackleaf

Is there a reason African countries can't produce their own vaccines?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 30, 2021, 03:59:42 PM
Probably they don't have the facilities to produce the vaccines. I don't know what kind of medical technology they have, though. Just guessing. Or maybe the movies are right and the rest of the world is just waiting for America to save them all?

Mr.Obvious

Facilities, money...

In regards to distribution add a few more problems.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

It may be cheaper to buy the vaccines, rather than reinvent the wheel.  Last I heard the US was in court with one of the pharmaceutical companies they financed, not only with money, but actual research and development done in government labs by government scientists.  The US wants to make the technology for the vaccines available to other labs, but pharma is claiming it has patent rights, so if Africa or any other country needs vaccines, they have to pay the monopoly holders.  I heard this about a week ago, and I don't know how the court case is proceeding.  But the US is claiming whatever company is doing the hoarding of the tech doesn't have rights to the patent.

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

From NYT
Vaccine doses are in fact becoming more plentiful, but African countries still face challenges in distribution and overcoming vaccine hesitancy. South Africa recently turned away a shipment, unsure that it could use the doses in time.

Hydra009

I've been reading more about Omicron, and apparently vaccinated people are just as well protected as they were against Delta (the dominant strain in the US since June) at about 90%.  The main risk is that Omicron hits the unvaccinated like a freight train, much more likely to cause serious symptoms in unvaccinated people.  So people who made the choice to miss out on the vaccines are in for a rude awakening.

the_antithesis

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985. Dog carcass in alley this morning. Tire tread on burst stomach. This city's afraid of me. I've seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters, and the gutters are full of blood, and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and unvaccinated will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper "No."

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 01, 2021, 10:22:35 AM
Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985. Dog carcass in alley this morning. Tire tread on burst stomach. This city's afraid of me. I've seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters, and the gutters are full of blood, and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and unvaccinated will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper "No."
Well, that was depressing.

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on December 01, 2021, 10:32:30 AM
Well, that was depressing.

I'm sorry, but I have zero patience for these people who refuse to get vaccinated at this point. The sooner they all die, the sooner our lives can get back to normal. They could have been part of that, too, but, well, their body, their choice. Too bad they don't have the same attitude about what goes into their brains.