News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 29, 2021, 08:52:57 PM
Firefighters, too. WTAF do these people understand about medicine, anyway? If I have a heart attack (example, not soon likely), how do I screen them while I'm in the ambulance about their "beliefs"? FFS, these people.
My literal job is to conduct clinical studies to develop medicines, and I can't tell you how many people have screeched at me to "do my research". Bish, that's what I've been doing for thirty goddamn years. For some reason people think they are educating themselves by reading shit online, and that makes them more qualified than people who actually do the work.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cassia

I guess Herman Cain made a movie about himself. When all this crap dies down some day maybe I'll watch it....

Hydra009

Math is hard.  By this genius logic, 10 casualties divided by 10 cases gives a mortality rate of 1% LOL

The real math is so easy you can basically do it in your head: 4.8 M deaths / 235 M cases = .0204 x 100 = 2.04%

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Bill Maher Defends Ivermectin Despite Lack Of Scientific Evidence As Covid-19 Treatment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/10/02/bill-maher-defends-ivermectin-despite-lack-of-scientific-evidence-as-covid-19-treatment/?sh=3b24632c604a

Yeah, he's an advocate for atheism, even though at one time he didn't even know what it was, so I hate to be too hard on him, but he's also a dumb ass, and has this tendency to speak authoritatively when he doesn't know what he's talking about.  There are lesser known advocates for atheism who make much better representatives for our cause.  And this ivermectin nonsense is a disgrace.  I don't want to be put in the same camp with Bill Maher.  I would be humiliated and incensed if anyone made that connection.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on October 03, 2021, 05:28:05 AM
...  I don't want to be put in the same camp with Bill Maher.  I would be humiliated an incensed if anyone made that connection.

I don't think one character is enough for building that connection. So don't worry.

Having said that maybe it is about time people start to learn that atheism is not some religion or a club. In any case, it hurts the value and objectivity of position of nonbelief overall.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 03, 2021, 06:43:43 AM
I don't think one character is enough for building that connection. So don't worry.

Having said that maybe it is about time people start to learn that atheism is not some religion or a club. In any case, it hurts the value and objectivity of position of nonbelief overall.
Objectivity is not one of Maher's assets.  I always think of him as being an atheist for the wrong reasons.  I completely understand that some people get to atheism through illogical channels, and I accept that until they set themselves up as a spokesperson.  But being a spokesperson doesn't require objectivity or credibility.  Just watch FOX news.  So I guess I'll have to "don't worry" about it.

SGOS

Alaska has it bad.  This is not about the usual per capita infections and deaths.  It's about overwhelmed ICUs and Emergency Rooms, and 1500 miles to the closest hospitals with room.  Doctors are now doing triage and having staff discussions on who has the best chance of not dying, not which people are pig headed assholes.  They are forced to play God, and being called liars and sell outs by angry people wearing yellow stars of David proclaiming their freedom to not wear masks  While Covid patients are preempting kidney patients from their dialysis machines.

Why do people obsessed with their freedom to go unmasked expect priority treatment when they get sick?  And why do they blame the hospital staffs that go to communities asking them to protect themselves?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/03/us/coronavirus-crisis-alaska.html

Blackleaf

And then they'll sometimes blame the hospitals for not allowing "alternative treatments." If you don't believe in medicine, stay home. Use your Ivermectin and prayer warriors at home, and leave the hospitals for the people who actually believe in medicine. Stop overwhelming our hospitals with your preventable disease you took zero precautions in protecting yourself from.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on October 03, 2021, 06:58:12 AM
Objectivity is not one of Maher's assets.  I always think of him as being an atheist for the wrong reasons.  I completely understand that some people get to atheism through illogical channels, and I accept that until they set themselves up as a spokesperson.  But being a spokesperson doesn't require objectivity or credibility.  Just watch FOX news.  So I guess I'll have to "don't worry" about it.

(I want to say a lot about this but I'm not available ffs. Ooof. I'm just not.)

The problem here is not atheism as in lack of belief in gods or deities, but the changed, bastardised meaning of scepticism. Everyone knows this story. In your country, the idea of 'secularism' is bastardised, the same way 'laicism' bastardised in mine. You don't get one without the other. And if you don't have that equation, you don't have the rest. This is the main problem about all this bullshit. About every bullshit. This is what give those people this kind of entitlement. It's not personal 'stupidity'.

The most important point is why on earth comedians, talk show stars are the political oppositon in the country in the first place? You guys all know about this much better than me. Has anyone ever seen Carlin doing something like this? Commenting on a real life issue by something that would actually affect people's day to day lives, and their very lives? No. So what has changed and when?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

I'm not sure many here understand Ivermectin as well as they think. Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum anti-parasitic that has demonstrated antiviral activity against a number of both RNA and DNA viruses. There have been a number of studies to date about the effectiveness of Ivermectin in treating COVID-19. There have been some conflicting results, but the World Health Organization has recommended Ivermectin for the early treatment of COVID-19. The FDA has not, but the FDA has not reviewed the data either so one wouldn't expect them to recommend it at this point time.

One of the problems with Ivermectin to treat viruses is how to formulate it. Poor water-solubility makes it difficult to deliver to target areas such as pulmonary. Inhalers are an option, but eating horse paste isn't going to shit for you because the drug isn't going to get to here it needs to go. Namely the lungs.

So, people eating livestock dewormer beause they think it is going to prevent and/or cure COVID-19 have either been misled or are just dumb as a pile of rocks, but Ivermectin IS a promising drug for the treatment of many viruses including COVID-19.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

I'll take your word for it, but it is a bit like people putting hydrogen peroxide in their nebulizers and then claiming that that's okay because hydrogen peroxide has legit medical purposes.  I guess so, but not like that!

FYI people are putting hydrogen peroxide in their nebulizers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 05, 2021, 12:03:05 AM
I'll take your word for it, but it is a bit like people putting hydrogen peroxide in their nebulizers and then claiming that that's okay because hydrogen peroxide has legit medical purposes.
These people obviously don't want to get sick and die, but instead of horsing around with popular but unapproved internet cures, why not just get the shots?  I don't understand trying to outwit the most reliable and now proven health resources we have.  Medical science makes far fewer  mistakes than Bill Maher and FOX News.  It's like betting your bank account on ComeInLast, because the odds are 40 to 1 against him, and hoping for a miracle because someone told you he had a dream about it.

drunkenshoe

SGOS

Yes, we have been through this crap before.  I read an article about the Spanish flu, and there were the same types for that one too.  The scientific knowledge base available to humans has grown exponentially since 1900, yet it seems like people are just as dumb as ever.