News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

It's hard to feel sorry for these anti-vaxer dumb asses, when most of their posts are defiantly telling vaccinated people to go fuck themselves.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mr.Obvious

Goddamn the babylon bee can hang up their coat,  they'll never trump reality. Holy hell.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

That kind of alienation has serious consequences. Esp. in American culture. That sub has over 320K followers and they are not hormonal teenagers or some angry 'loser' club. that's a whole new level thing. A few years ago we couldn't have imagined the bullshit people can produce about a virus, a global outbreak. Here we are. We are going to be in this for a long time, highly likely we will be hit with other viruses, not to mention deadly strains sooner than we think. When people start to kill anti-vaxers, because you know, they are already dead and spreading disease, things will look very different. If you think that's far fetched, think about the last couple of years and imagine the coming decades. You can't hold onto a society like that. Yeah the US is a very big country, but no country is that big. You cannot hold a society together like that.

Reactions in that sub are the same reactions religous people give for bad things happening to anyone they hate. You know... when lgbt couples lose their babies or get cancer.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

It's crazy. My coworker and former boss puts things on Facebook that would make your nose hair fall out. If I weren't afraid of search engines, I might repost one of them here. He's a total Tucker Carlson devotee.
The issue I have with it is that HE IS A SCIENTIST. He has a doctorate in a hard science, and my name is on many published works along with his. I am forever associated with the man who claims unvaccinated people are not a danger to anyone. This is a man who KNOWS EPIDEMIOLOGY. Or at least he should know. I really hope this does not undermine MY credibility. It better not.

I cannot BELIEVE the dissonance, I truly cannot.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mermaid on September 26, 2021, 02:25:43 PM
It's crazy. My coworker and former boss puts things on Facebook that would make your nose hair fall out. If I weren't afraid of search engines, I might repost one of them here. He's a total Tucker Carlson devotee.
The issue I have with it is that HE IS A SCIENTIST. He has a doctorate in a hard science, and my name is on many published works along with his. I am forever associated with the man who claims unvaccinated people are not a danger to anyone. This is a man who KNOWS EPIDEMIOLOGY. Or at least he should know. I really hope this does not undermine MY credibility. It better not.

I cannot BELIEVE the dissonance, I truly cannot.

Ooof... Don't worry, Mermaid. (Also don't put anything that might jeopardize your online history.) I don't have much to offer. Clearly, studying and knowing epidemiology is completely different than living through a pandemic for him? You know, some people are convinced/believe that nothing too bad would actually happen? That the worst things are always theoretical and never happens to them or to theirs? Anyway, I'm guessing your studies were before the pandemic and the situation can't be unique. So maybe anyone who needs to evaluate your work will probably get the situation? Maybe even the whole evaluation process will change because of situations like this. I mean we are still kind of at the beginning and the picture will look very different very fast when looked back. Hindsights are usually awful, at least completely different with the best of things. With this pandemic... We'll probably be reading about atrocities in a decade. Like the situation in Britain? Apparently, the people with learning difficulties, autism, epilepsy and such were forced to sign unlawful DNRs by doctors. Who knows what else has happened around the world?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mermaid

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 26, 2021, 03:14:13 PM
Ooof... Don't worry, Mermaid. (Also don't put anything that might jeopardize your online history.) I don't have much to offer. Clearly, studying and knowing epidemiology is completely different than living through a pandemic for him? You know, some people are convinced/believe that nothing too bad would actually happen? That the worst things are always theoretical and never happens to them or to theirs? Anyway, I'm guessing your studies were before the pandemic and the situation can't be unique. So maybe anyone who needs to evaluate your work will probably get the situation? Maybe even the whole evaluation process will change because of situations like this. I mean we are still kind of at the beginning and the picture will look very different very fast when looked back. Hindsights are usually awful, at least completely different with the best of things. With this pandemic... We'll probably be reading about atrocities in a decade. Like the situation in Britain? Apparently, the people with learning difficulties, autism, epilepsy and such were forced to sign unlawful DNRs by doctors. Who knows what else has happened around the world?

Thanks for the perspective. Very fortunately, our work is not related to viral disease, but it IS related to disease and epidemiology thereof, and it's actually ongoing. It's crazy. I appreciate your talking me down.

Hydra009

Cases dropping in NC.  Fingers crossed.

Hydra009

No one will ever be able to fill their shoes...

...because they wore clown shoes.

Dark Lightning

Firefighters, too. WTAF do these people understand about medicine, anyway? If I have a heart attack (example, not soon likely), how do I screen them while I'm in the ambulance about their "beliefs"? FFS, these people.

Hydra009

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 29, 2021, 08:52:57 PMFirefighters, too.
People whose raison d'etre is to save lives, no less.  Brave enough to storm in a burning building to save lives, but not brave enough to stroll into a pharmacy and take a shot to save lives?  Makes zero sense.

Thrill seekers?  Hero syndrome?  (there's an odd overlap between arsonists and firefighters, roughly 100 US firefighters are convicted of arson every year)  Frauds?  Take your pick.

Dark Lightning

Well, fire under the right conditions is beautiful, as in not a wildfire. I actually have pyrophilia, to a small degree. I'm NOT a pyromaniac, which is destructive. It was quite disconcerting when I had lit some coals for the smoker to smoke a turkey, many turkey-days ago, and was watching the fire and started getting an erection, unbidden. I later found out that it is an actual thing. Of course, when I was 13 or so I got erections for no reason other than biology.

SGOS

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 29, 2021, 08:52:57 PM
Firefighters, too. WTAF do these people understand about medicine, anyway? If I have a heart attack (example, not soon likely), how do I screen them while I'm in the ambulance about their "beliefs"? FFS, these people.
They are saving you from a heart attack and breathing a deadly virus in your face.  I don't want these people around me.  But they are everywhere, not just the ambulances.  Go into a store in my county and 4 out of every 10 people are unvaccinated, and a smaller percentage of them are actively spreading the virus to others during their shopping.  And I'd place a big bet than none of them are wearing a mask.

Cassia

The big clue for me was when nearly every media/content attempt at science and/or history involves ancient aliens, river monsters, illuminati, bigfoot, or ghosts. As the resident skeptic I was actually getting daily emails from highly trained technical folks containing bullshit from homeopathy cures to sightings of mother mary. Like they felt compelled to sway me for some reason. The mega-corp would setup flu shots each October right in the cafeteria. Huge line to get the daily disgusting slop, but no one except me over at the flu-shot booth. Then they would come sick as dogs to these 10'x10' meeting rooms, feverish, coughing and hacking for a 1.5 hour germ fest.