News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SvZurich

Quote from: aitm on June 15, 2021, 12:06:46 PM
Nice to see your “face” on the board again, Kimmy, hope all is well with you.

AITM!  I am so damn glad you are still here!  Not like this slacker bitch who can't sit still on the web (but can sit extremely still in the apartment).  *hugs*  Damn glad to see you!  I'm better.  A/C went out last night, but seems fixed now.  I'm better.  I hope you are well.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

Quote from: SvZurich on June 16, 2021, 01:05:43 AM
AITM!  I am so damn glad you are still here!  Not like this slacker bitch who can't sit still on the web (but can sit extremely still in the apartment).  *hugs*  Damn glad to see you!  I'm better.  A/C went out last night, but seems fixed now.  I'm better.  I hope you are well.
Doing very well…too well in fact. Almost feel guilty. Bah fuck that.. 😁
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

Finally got my first shot.
I got Moderna running through my veins.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mr.Obvious

Update, 16 hours later; virtually no side-effects.

Arm is just a little sore. Had an extremely light headache flickering on and off for all of one hour.

SGOS

The second shot is usually more painful, but as far as actual medical pain, it's minuscule.  The actual amount of physical discomfort barely qualifies as pain.  On one of those charts with the six different facial expressions that hospitals use for patients to describe their level of pain, there is no face that describes the covid shot.  They would have to add a winking happy face.

Mr.Obvious

Also spent half an hour on the phone convincing the mother in law to get her first shot Friday. She'd called my gf again with the doubts that her brother in law had instilled. So I had to call her after convincing the gf for another 15 minutes.
I'll be happy when they've had their shots... That shit's what's truly exhausting.

Hydra009

NC "Free the Smiles" Act (no longer mandate face coverings at schools)

It's worth pointing out that the CDC still recommends that schools keep masks mandatory, but whatta those nerds know?  I gots me a 12-year-old kid and with a lot of coaching, got him to give my his thoughts on the issue:

Quote[NC State Rep] Willis’ son, an eighth-grader in Union County, even testified in support of the bill on Tuesday.

"I can no longer receive reassurance from our teachers, not even a simple smile,” said Jackson Willis. “I cannot see or hear my friends with their masks on."
Allow me to introduce the concept of gesticulation, as pioneered by the Italians and mastered by New Yorkers.  It is indeed possible - and fairly easy - to communicate without relying on facial expressions.  Just get cut off in traffic, you'll figure it out quick.

Also, it's pretty easy to see people with masks on - masks go over the mouth/nose, not the eyes.

Now, I'm not super against removing mask mandates now that over half of NC adults are vaccinated.  But kids aren't nearly as vaccinated as the adults, partially due to the imbecilic idea, championed by Trump, that they can't get sick or can't get gravely sick.

If we hit 70-80% vaccinated, I'd say go for it.  But we're not there yet, and it looks like we might never get there.  So removing mask mandates on largely unvaccinated populations is inherently dangerous.  Finally, I'd like to say that if right-wingers find masks to be psychologically damaging, they should try a funeral sometime.

Hydra009

In other news, yours truly may unknowingly be a millionaire due to the state's vaccine lottery.  Or may secretly be French royalty.  Either is equally likely.

They're going to draw 4 names out of a pool of 5 million.  Fingers crossed.

SGOS

You may already be a winner.  Just send us all your personal information so we can check.

SvZurich

I had no side effects after any of my 4 shots.  I don't know whether the placebo was the first two or last two, but I suspect it was the last two.  I had zero soreness in my arm after them, and only a little soreness in my arm after the first two that vanished after a day.  My shots were the Novavax trial.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Cassia

The current trajectory towards 'before pandemic' normalcy has me very disappointed. Talk of a 4th wave in the US and resistant variants is maddening when this could have been over by now. The lack of empathy for the nearly 4 million dead is demonstrated by so many who refuse to be vaccinated and even worse spread misinformation.

The timing of the Trump election and the rise of conservative idiocy was a death sentence for thousands.

Things will never be the same (as someone coughs behind me). I guess I'll just have to make the best of it as the planet spins into the creeping climate disaster that is sure to bring war, new diseases and famine disproportionally inflected on the impoverished as usual.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on June 24, 2021, 10:37:42 AM
The current trajectory towards 'before pandemic' normalcy has me very disappointed. Talk of a 4th wave in the US and resistant variants is maddening when this could have been over by now. The lack of empathy for the nearly 4 million dead is demonstrated by so many who refuse to be vaccinated and even worse spread misinformation.

The timing of the Trump election and the rise of conservative idiocy was a death sentence for thousands.

Things will never be the same (as someone coughs behind me). I guess I'll just have to make the best of it as the planet spins into the creeping climate disaster that is sure to bring war, new diseases and famine disproportionally inflected on the impoverished as usual.

Couldn't have said it better!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

The gf got her first shot.
Had to go in with her, she was so scared.
Had been looking up horror stories about the vaccine until the minute before we left to get her shot. I told her not to do it. In the end I was too tired to keep arguing and told her to just get in the car and stop acting up.
... But at least she got her shot.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 24, 2021, 02:19:17 PM
The gf got her first shot.
Had to go in with her, she was so scared.
Had been looking up horror stories about the vaccine until the minute before we left to get her shot. I told her not to do it. In the end I was too tired to keep arguing and told her to just get in the car and stop acting up.
... But at least she got her shot.

Still trying to get my 82-year-old mom to get at least one.  She actually had COVID last year and thinks she's immune now, and her "gut" tells her she doesn't need the vaccine.  I rather pointedly reminded her that her gut doesn't have an MD.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on June 25, 2021, 06:41:56 PM
Still trying to get my 82-year-old mom to get at least one.  She actually had COVID last year and thinks she's immune now, and her "gut" tells her she doesn't need the vaccine.  I rather pointedly reminded her that her gut doesn't have an MD.
According to NYT, there was little discernible difference in the spread of COVID between vaccinated and non vaccinated communities at first, but that is now changing.  The gap is growing with southern red states falling farther and farther behind. If you are depending on everyone else to get vaccinated so that you can be safe, you are failing at looking after your own health, and also avoiding community responsibility.  That's not how we conquered polio and small pox.

I don't think we know if getting COVID once means you are never susceptible again, especially with the continual onslaught of new variants.