News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on October 19, 2020, 08:51:00 AM
Why this is so hard for some people is something I don't understand.
In my experience there are a lot of "socially needy" people and also no shortage of "activity junkies". Even amongst my own family and friends. This often leads to a string of poor judgements. Can't envision three steps ahead. Can't imagine cause and effect.

I 'had' a neighbor kid who enjoyed dirt bikes. I witnessed some of his antics. Really took it to the reckless extreme. I mentioned something about "this will probably be your last Fourth, the way you ride". It came true a few months later. Riding on the shoulder, no helmets, hit a power pole and killed a passenger as well. Huge funeral, roadside alters, so many appeals to 'the lawd.' Talk of a better place. All of a sudden I was the fortune teller, a harbinger of death. Really, you idiots? You had no idea this was gonna happen? Like everyone has this guardian angel. No.

Baruch

Yes, my father raced a Sprint car when he was in his 20s.  He and my mother watched when a friend of theirs, on a dirt track, slid his Sprint car sideways into a telephone pole and was killed instantly.  My mother told my dad, "You aren't racing anymore" and he didn't.  So shall we lock up all the pre-30 year olds so they don't recklessly lose their life?  Of course 30-60 year olds can be foolish too.,
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

One of my nephews, who is 40, has COVID. Fortunately he has mild symptoms. He works for Amazon and thinks he got it at work, which I believe because even before COVID he tended to be reclusive. He's the first person in my family to get it.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 19, 2020, 01:07:19 PM
One of my nephews, who is 40, has COVID. Fortunately he has mild symptoms. He works for Amazon and thinks he got it at work, which I believe because even before COVID he tended to be reclusive. He's the first person in my family to get it.

Good luck to him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I hear that the more recent strains of the virus are less lethal than the original. Is there any truth to that? I mean, it makes sense to me from an evolutionary perspective. If a virus kills its host, that means that person can't infect as many people.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on October 19, 2020, 09:31:26 AM
In my experience there are a lot of "socially needy" people and also no shortage of "activity junkies".  ...All of a sudden I was the fortune teller, a harbinger of death. Really, you idiots? You had no idea this was gonna happen? Like everyone has this guardian angel. No.

Obviously, you have a touch from the beyond! LOL That^ gave me a worrying laugh. That has happened to me in various different contexts and it's ruined my relationship with people around me. People I have known since childhood. And while I still suffer from it, I finally got around to end some of those relationships... yeah that bad. Because people are that stupid, ignorant and selfish.

Even they ask sincerely, never tell anything real to people -doesn't matter how close they are- about their lives, marriages, spouses, children...good OR bad. Because it is gonna end bad for you even it is good. And most of the time, the other party won't even realise this. Something very normal, basic an outsider can see will be interpretated as something freaky and mysetrious at your end.

There are very few people in your life you can get through with something like this, if any.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 04:38:18 AM
Obviously, you have a touch from the beyond! LOL That^ gave me a worrying laugh. That has happened to me in various different contexts and it's ruined my relationship with people around me. People I have known since childhood. And while I still suffer from it, I finally got around to end some of those relationships... yeah that bad. Because people are that stupid, ignorant and selfish.

Even they ask sincerely, never tell anything real to people -doesn't matter how close they are- about their lives, marriages, spouses, children...good OR bad. Because it is gonna end bad for you even it is good. And most of the time, the other party won't even realise this. Something very normal, basic an outsider can see will be interpretated as something freaky and mysetrious at your end.

There are very few people in your life you can get through with something like this, if any.
Words of wisdom. I don't really want to pull away from people. However this virus has focused a bright light on some of my social relationships that functioned much better in good times. Fair weather friends who have suddenly shown their true colors and have me wondering why I associated with them in the first place. How could I not know someone would emerge as an anti-mask, anti-vax, pro-white supremacist? Confusing times for me.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on October 20, 2020, 07:27:06 AM
Words of wisdom. I don't really want to pull away from people. However this virus has focused a bright light on some of my social relationships that functioned much better in good times. Fair weather friends who have suddenly shown their true colors and have me wondering why I associated with them in the first place. How could I not know someone would emerge as an anti-mask, anti-vax, pro-white supremacist? Confusing times for me.

How do we both go through the exact same feelings, while we live in completely different cultures/places, down to the white supremacist issue. Yes, the white supremacist issue. You have read it right.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on October 20, 2020, 07:27:06 AM
Confusing times----indeed!  Stark lines (mask wearing, orange monster supporting) have been drawn.  But not quite sure what that is really going to mean long term.  Some casual friends/acquaintances relationships are done--no real loss, but I sure missed that part of them until now.  Family lines could be different.  I have a brother (one of 6) who is christian/orange monster lover who is dead to me.  So, I really have 5, not 6 brothers.  He is the only one; did not understand how fucked up he was, until lately.  My wife's family lines are a bit different.  The lines are easy to see, but what do they really mean?  Only time will tell, I guess; does one allow a Mormon/trump loving husband of a beloved granddaughter, who has produced the only two great grandchildren to visit--or we visit them?  (Not now, but later, when pandemic is gone)  We live on an 'old' block, and are the only two who do not support trump.  Good neighbors, but fucking stupid.  So, how does one deal with that?  Don't want to shit where I live--but supporting trump???  Confusing times........................!! 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

That's the thing though. If any other power rises will these people shift to that one then? Is this really who these people are, is this about power and conformism?

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 04:38:18 AM

You can only hang with Wile E Coyote, Genius ;-)  I have avoided talking about controversial things with friends, because I want to keep them.  And I forgive them for having a different opinion (because I hang with the Roadrunner).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 09:11:20 AM
How do we both go through the exact same feelings, while we live in completely different cultures/places, down to the white supremacist issue. Yes, the white supremacist issue. You have read it right.

Human psychology is universal, but wears ethnic clothing.

"The Real Pandemic: Mass Munchausen's-Syndrome-By-Proxy" ... freaked leadership (who are in a neurotic relationship with their charges) or a vast elite conspiracy to kill off humanity?  Which is more likely?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 09:22:04 AM
That's the thing though. If any other power rises will these people shift to that one then? Is this really who these people are, is this about power and conformism?

You know no sociology?  Of course it is about conforming to hide or conforming to join ... to avoid power or to share it.
---

"New York's COVID-19 Mandatory Quarantine List Climbs To 43 States As Cuomo Tries To Limit Travelers From CT, NJ" ... just build a moat around it and don't let anyone in or out.

"CUOMO GOES FULL ANTI SCIENCE TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO TRUST THE CDC AND FDA VACCINES CUZ ORANGE MAN B.." .. the mad scientist who sent all the sick people to the nursing homes?  That is real Lysenko science!

"Does America Have A COVID Problem Or An Obesity Problem?" ... Americans have been obese for decades.  I vote for obesity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/south-dakota-coronavirus-cases.html

Quote from: South Dakota GovernorIt has been nearly eight months since COVID-19 first hit our state. Though there is still much to learn, we are fortunate to have a much better sense of the common enemy we’re fighting today than we did back in March.

Today, we know that hand washing kills the virus.

QuoteWhile we have been working together to combat this virus, many other states have taken a very different approach. Some governors ordered their citizens to shelter in place. Others ordered businesses and churches to close. Some even sent nursing home patients who had the virus back into their facilities.

Many said these steps had to be taken. They insisted that the approach we’ve taken â€" trusting the people to make the best decisions for themselves and their families â€" was wrong. The data say otherwise.

QuoteAs we expected, cases have gone up in South Dakota. Science told us that was going to happen â€" there is no way to stop the virus.
https://rapidcityjournal.com/opinion/gov-noem-update-on-south-dakota-s-covid-19-response/article_586e2456-23c0-5ba0-bb06-5fc78d084593.html