News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2020, 09:02:05 AM
There Won’t Be a Clear End to the Pandemic--so says the Atlantic.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/09/pandemic-over-end-how-will-we-know/616372/

And I think that is how it will end.  There just won't be an end.  We will (as a society) slowly accept that covid is now part of our life, of our environment. 
Possibly like the flu, it will always be present, but will be greatly reduced when people take yearly shots.  Nothing like this gets wiped out.  We still have polio, and there will always be a crowd that will resist efforts to take safety precautions. I can accept that, as long as I have powerful tools available to protect myself.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2020, 09:05:34 AM
Yes, yes, yes to what you just said!  But, because the vaccine has been so rushed, I will wait to get my shot(s) for awhile.  I'll just keep up my isolation regime until I'm sure the vaccine is not worse than the disease.  Then I'll get it.  And it will most likely become part of my early autumn routine--flu shot and covid shot.
I'm considering that too, but I lean towards taking the vaccine right away.  I don't think the FDA is going to go along with Trump, and if they do, I think we will be alerted by credible sources.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2020, 09:26:17 AM
I'm considering that too, but I lean towards taking the vaccine right away.  I don't think the FDA is going to go along with Trump, and if they do, I think we will be alerted by credible sources.
You are probably taking the correct approach.  When you get yours, will you keep me informed how it is going for you??? :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2020, 09:28:03 AM
You are probably taking the correct approach.  When you get yours, will you keep me informed how it is going for you??? :))
I sure will, assuming I survive the shot.  I'll post before I get the shot, so if I just disappear from the forum, you can assume it killed me.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2020, 09:53:46 AM
I sure will, assuming I survive the shot.  I'll post before I get the shot, so if I just disappear from the forum, you can assume it killed me.
That's not a pleasant thought. I'm just thinking side-effects--not death.  However, if it is not effective, that could take longer to figure out.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2020, 08:07:05 AM
Look at New England.  It's the biggest cluster of states doing comparatively well.  An explanation of this would be interesting.  Is it politically driven, climate driven, or something else?  Is there something happening there that could help other states?  Would it be worthwhile for other states to investigate?
Well, all the dark red states and most of the orange ones are Red states.  The only traditionally Republican state that's in the yellow is Wyoming.  With that one exception, all the yellow states are swing or Democratic.  Correlation?  I think so, considering Republican hostility to science and reason.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2020, 09:57:04 AM
That's not a pleasant thought. I'm just thinking side-effects--not death.  However, if it is not effective, that could take longer to figure out.

President Ford's flu shot?  Yes, FDA screwed up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Why don't more people wear masks?  A partial answer: I Was An Evangelical Christian, And I Know Why Many Of Them Resist Logic About COVID-19.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/evangelical-christians-covid-19-pandemic_n_5f5b9875c5b6b48507ffc791

Baruch

Actually the other day, they had a mob of fundies at a Target trying to exorcise the mask wearing demons ;-))  They forgot you have to sacrifice a virgin first.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

C.D.C. Testing Guidance Was Published Against Scientists’ Objections
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/health/coronavirus-testing-cdc.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200917&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=129705843&segment_id=38407&user_id=33a2a6e6868fd65c48b0f219d16ed7c2
QuoteA heavily criticized recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month about who should be tested for the coronavirus was not written by C.D.C. scientists and was posted to the agency’s website despite their serious objections, according to several people familiar with the matter as well as internal documents obtained by The New York Times.

The guidance said it was not necessary to test people without symptoms of Covid-19 even if they had been exposed to the virus. It came at a time when public health experts were pushing for more testing rather than less, and administration officials told The Times that the document was a C.D.C. product and had been revised with input from the agency’s director, Dr. Robert Redfield.

But officials told The Times this week that the Department of Health and Human Services did the rewriting and then “dropped” it into the C.D.C.’s public website, flouting the agency’s strict scientific review process.

“That was a doc that came from the top down, from the H.H.S. and the task force,” said a federal official with knowledge of the matter, referring to the White House task force on the coronavirus. “That policy does not reflect what many people at the C.D.C. feel should be the policy.”
Wasn't the HHS the the agency that Trump directed all of the Covid 19 data to be sent to first, before the data would be released?

Baruch

"Dr. Quack? CDC's Redfield Claims Masks "Guaranteed To Protect Against COVID"" … said the opposite in January.  Government doctors as broken as the rest of the government.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The C.D.C. reverses its guidance on testing for people who were exposed to the virus and aren’t showing symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200918&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=129705843&segment_id=38479&user_id=33a2a6e6868fd65c48b0f219d16ed7c2#link-7adf3bad

Science Trumps the Chump, or chumps the Trump, or something.

QuoteThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday reversed a recommendation suggesting that people who have had close contact with a person infected with the coronavirus do not need to get tested if they have no symptoms.

The agency’s move comes after widespread criticism of the guideline, as well reporting from The New York Times indicating that the recommendation came from political appointees in the Trump administration and skipped the agency’s usual rigorous scientific review.

The Times reported Thursday that the guideline was posted on the C.D.C. website despite strenuous objections from its scientists.

But this next part sounds like Saturday Night Live
The previous phrasing, which suggested asymptomatic people who have had close contact with an infected individual “do not necessarily need a test,” now clearly instructs them: “You need a test.”  Experts welcomed the change as consistent with research showing that people without symptoms can spread the virus to others.
Well, duh?!  Who would have ever guessed? 

“It’s good to see science and evidence taking a front seat for a change,” said Scott Becker, chief executive of the Association of Public Health Laboratories.
It is good, but in the political arena, one victory for science and reason is about par for the course.  I guess dropping Trump's stupidity into a scientific source may have been even too much for the lunatic fringe.

Baruch

Chairman Mao only source of truth today!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on September 18, 2020, 04:05:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV-ujBdKzbs
I skip a lot of these utube things, and I wasn't even in the mood tonight.  But I clicked on it an almost blew my drink all over the monitor.  This qualifies for ROTFLMAO.  I mean literally on the floor.  OK, I'm going to post this an watch it again.  Then I'm going to send it to people.