News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

"California Gov Orders LA Restaurants To Close For 3 Weeks As State Sees Latest Daily COVID-19 Record" ... good, starve the communists.  No White Zinfandel and quiche for you, comrades!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I fucking hate masks!  I hate wearing them.  (I do kinda like one, tho, it is made of New York Yankee material)  But I hate the virus even more.  I always wear a mask when I leave my driveway.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/science/how-coronavirus-spreads.html

QuoteIf Covid-19 was like the flu, you’d expect the outbreaks in different places to be mostly the same size. But Dr. Kucharski and his colleagues found a wide variation. The best way to explain this pattern, they found, was that 10 percent of infected people were responsible for 80 percent of new infections. Which meant that most people passed on the virus to few, if any, others.

QuoteIn Georgia, for example, Dr. Nelson and her colleagues analyzed over 9,500 Covid-19 cases from March to May. They created a model for the spread of the virus through five counties and estimated how many people each person infected.

In a preprint published last week, the researchers found many superspreading events. Just 2 percent of people were responsible for 20 percent of transmissions.

QuoteA lot of transmission seems to happen in a narrow window of time starting a couple days after infection, even before symptoms emerge. If people aren’t around a lot of people during that window, they can’t pass it along.

And certain places seem to lend themselves to superspreading. A busy bar, for example, is full of people talking loudly. Any one of them could spew out viruses without ever coughing. And without good ventilation, the viruses can linger in the air for hours.

QuoteSince most transmission happens only in a small number of similar situations, it may be possible to come up with smart strategies to stop them from happening. It may be possible to avoid crippling, across-the-board lockdowns by targeting the superspreading events.

“By curbing the activities in quite a small proportion of our life, we could actually reduce most of the risk,” said Dr. Kucharski.

Hydra009

There's a new covid map showing county-by-county risk factor.

There's me in the sea of orange.

I have to specify that this a covid map because if you look at the image in isolation, it's not super clear what this is about.  The legend humorously explains that the color green stands for green, which kinda sent me down a rabbit hole of Platonic idealism for a while.  Presumably, green means low risk, orange means moderate risk, and red means high risk.

Baruch

Yep, as a percentage, the Apache, Hopi and Navajo are suffering.  Florida is filled with elderly from shitty NYC.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

1,629 new cases in NC, just a small dip from the record-breaking 1,843 new cases yesterday.  No end in sight.

Current mood:

drunkenshoe

Did you see this?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

Quote"...Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday. ...

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it. ..."
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 02, 2020, 03:01:43 PM

And failing stupid.  It seems like a couple of dumb ass Trump states decided to open because what... new cases were slowing?  I can't remember the upward curve turning downward, and even if it did, most would figure out that it would accelerate again when protocols were lifted.  Governors were like, "Hey Texas is opening up the economy again.  Oh my gosh, we can't let Texas get ahead."  This isn't just a fail.  It's a WTF? kind of fail at level of leadership.  Hint:  When you lift regulations that prevent the pandemic from leaping forward, the pandemic leaps forward.  This isn't fucking rocket science.  But I suppose everything is fine, because every governor says they are watching the spread closely.  Maybe if they concentrate really hard on watching it spread, the viruses will say, "Oh shit, they're watching us closely.  We better slow down."

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 02, 2020, 08:36:29 PM
And failing stupid.  It seems like a couple of dumb ass Trump states decided to open because what... new cases were slowing?  I can't remember the upward curve turning downward, and even if it did, most would figure out that it would accelerate again when protocols were lifted.  Governors were like, "Hey Texas is opening up the economy again.  Oh my gosh, we can't let Texas get ahead."  This isn't just a fail.  It's a WTF? kind of fail at level of leadership.  Hint:  When you lift regulations that prevent the pandemic from leaping forward, the pandemic leaps forward.  This isn't fucking rocket science.  But I suppose everything is fine, because every governor says they are watching the spread closely.  Maybe if they concentrate really hard on watching it spread, the viruses will say, "Oh shit, they're watching us closely.  We better slow down."
You forgot one powerful tool these gov. have!!  They are using thoughts and prayers; which is why the orange monster is so sure corona virus will just disappear.   

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 02, 2020, 09:49:33 PM
You forgot one powerful tool these gov. have!!  They are using thoughts and prayers; which is why the orange monster is so sure corona virus will just disappear.   
That was actually in the back of my mind, but I didn't add it because the dynamics of such action are doubly idiotic to explain.  If your reasoning is flawed enough to assume there is a god out there that protects us, why would you pray to the very god who sends a plague to punish everyone?  Granted I don't follow Pat Robertson these days, so I don't know if he or any of his buddies have said that, but I'll bet money one of them has.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2020, 07:01:58 AM
That was actually in the back of my mind, but I didn't add it because the dynamics of such action are doubly idiotic to explain.  If your reasoning is flawed enough to assume there is a god out there that protects us, why would you pray to the very god who sends a plague to punish everyone?  Granted I don't follow Pat Robertson these days, so I don't know if he or any of his buddies have said that, but I'll bet money one of them has.
I have not followed any of the christian lunatics (the leaders) and what they are saying.  But if thoughts and prayers are so successful with all the mass shootings and disasters, then in this case they would need to pray doubly hard.  That seems to be one of the reasons so many churches want to congregate as usual, god will protect them.  It matters not that he created the corona as well.   

Hydra009

Hydra009

57,000 confirmed new cases today in the US.  Record-breaking.