News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I've only known one guy, that I remember, who'd had polio. One of his legs was stick thin, but otherwise he was a big, healthy guy.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

I knew a guy in his mid to late teens who had polio years before I met him.  He had a massive upper body remarkable for a guy that young, but his legs kind of dangled as he held him self up on crutches.  A friend told me he got that upper body from walking on crutches for half his life, but I doubt that now.  I suspect he spent a lot of time doing bench presses and probably taking steroids.  There were other people I saw who were probably polio victims, at least there used to be a lot of people on crutches.

I remember my family talking about polio, and they reminded me to wash my hands.  For scourge that polio was, it was one of those things that just happened to people, pretty much random it seemed, and those crutch people are gone now.  I was in elementary grades when the school was treating classes with the new vaccine.  First we had sugar cubes from the nurse, and somewhat later we were given the shots that were supposed to be better.  I remember our class going in a line down to the room where it was done.  To me, it was just getting out of class and doing what I was told.  And then the scourge quietly passed away, making it seem like polio was never a bother, and now we have parents afraid to vaccinate their children.  We used to laugh at those religious lunatics that refused to let their kids get a life saving transfusion or special medical treatment, but now you don't have to be a religious nut job, you can just be an ordinary nut job without the religious stigma. 

Baruch

""It's Total Panic" - Store-Shelves Empty As Virus-Spread Sparks Panic-Buying Food & Masks Across Italy" ... they are calling it a "zombie apocalypse", and other European countries are starting to limit travel of Italians to their countries.  Capiche!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

My boyfriend has an online friend from Italy who was telling him what it's like where he lives (forgot the town name), that his local town is a ghost town, everyones locked themselves indoors
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 24, 2020, 03:12:03 PM
My boyfriend has an online friend from Italy who was telling him what it's like where he lives (forgot the town name), that his local town is a ghost town, everyones locked themselves indoors

Don't do this at home kids, unless you got plenty of pasta and marinara from the store first!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

https://deadline.com/2020/02/media-stocks-down-market-lower-coronavirus-scare-1202866687/

Dow dropped 1,031 points today (it's third-worse drop ever) due to fears over Italy, Iran and South Korea's recent outbreaks.

Fun times.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Now, nearly a month later, there are now 79.571 cases of the Covid-19 coronavirus.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 24, 2020, 07:30:16 PM
Now, nearly a month later, there are now 79.571 cases of the Covid-19 coronavirus.

When this gets to the Third World ... the numbers will bet higher.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I really don't like this curve.

Baruch

Human beings don't usually understand the exponential curve (repeated doubling over fixed time period).  We can barely understand straight lines ;-)  Technically, a straight line going up ad infinitum at a positive slope should also bother you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, people have been predicting for some time that nature would have the last laugh. Maybe that's what's about to happen.
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 25, 2020, 01:41:08 PM
Well, people have been predicting for some time that nature would have the last laugh. Maybe that's what's about to happen.

The black death killed a large percentage of humanity, and yet look at its population now

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Yeah, good point. I've heard that the Black Death initiated the industrial revolution, sine so many workers were dead.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found