News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Hopefully will start collecting unemployment soon... one of my coworkers (who normally makes about 700 bi-weekly) has been pulling in 800 a week through her unemployment, so here's to hoping the same happens for me.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 19, 2020, 01:13:50 AM
Hopefully will start collecting unemployment soon... one of my coworkers (who normally makes about 700 bi-weekly) has been pulling in 800 a week through her unemployment, so here's to hoping the same happens for me.

Good luck.  It seems Congress intends that the state-funded unemployment funds don't run dry.  Additional $1200 checks don't seem likely.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

The state of Georgia just tried to make its coronavirus trend look better than it was by releasing its data out of chronological order.

Apparently part of a rash of oopsies.  Curious.

Hydra009

Florida's covid-19 dashboard manager removed, she says that she was asked "to manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

Curious and curiouser.

SGOS

I saw this in the NYT, I think it was:

QuoteSeveral of the country’s biggest employers have raised the wages of their essential workers through “hero pay”:  Amazon warehouse workers will lose their extra $2 an hour at the end of this month, and Starbucks baristas will lose their extra $3.
Starbucks baristas are essential businesses?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2020, 02:02:59 AM
Fucking with data for political purposes is lying.  I've seen too much of this shit, and they've been caught too many times for it to be mistakes.  But what can you do about it?  It is so common it is now considered politically acceptable.  It's even applauded if it wins elections.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2020, 02:02:59 AM
The state of Georgia just tried to make its coronavirus trend look better than it was by releasing its data out of chronological order.

Perhaps Covid also causes political incompetence to increase? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2020, 07:19:42 AM
I saw this in the NYT, I think it was:
Starbucks baristas are essential businesses?

No, middle class retirees are in-essential ;-)  Anyone who works for a living is superior to a retiree.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Wear A Virus Mask Or Face Jail In Kuwait and Qatar" ... Arab women already are masked in public ...

"In The Race For Immunity, Sweden Leads The Pack" ... will be first to reach "herd immunity" before the other sheeple

"UK Police Force Humiliated After Launching Manhunt For Trucker Who Kissed Woman" ... UK was already much more of a police state than the US.

"Lockdown Zealots Are Behaving Like Cult Members; Psychotherapist Warns" ... most people are cult members over many things

"China's Xi Extoled The Virtues Of Globalization On The Same Day He Slapped An 80% Tariff On Australian Barley" ... part of Chinese plan for global conquest ... bankrupt the other countries, then buy them cheap, with their own money

"White House Vaccine Czar Sells $12 Million Slug Of Moderna Options For Massive Profit" .. new guy, Moncef Slaoui, was coming out of the private sector and had to divest to accept this position of public trust.  Did he do anything wrong?

"Walmart Hits All Time High On Blowout Earnings From Coronavirus-Linked Stockpiling" ... yes, most businesses are judged inessential, except this one.  Wonder why?

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Chinese air pollution already back to what it was, and then some

At best, this crisis is giving nature a temporary reprieve before business-as-usual destroys any gains.  At worst, we're looking at a dirty recovery where industries use less care than normal to "make up" for idle time.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2020, 12:22:58 PM
Chinese air pollution already back to what it was, and then some

At best, this crisis is giving nature a temporary reprieve before business-as-usual destroys any gains.  At worst, we're looking at a dirty recovery where industries use less care than normal to "make up" for idle time.

Pandemic, if not genocide, is pro environment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2020, 01:08:24 PM
Pandemic, if not genocide, is pro environment.

The pause in society or straight up genocide is the only good thing nature had to protect itself with
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 19, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
The pause in society or straight up genocide is the only good thing nature had to protect itself with

Alligators ... and crocodiles!

Lockdown news ... our appliance/service guys are working up a storm.  i got a quick appointment and quick, effective and inexpensive service on my swamp cooler and my hot water heater.  The people who are still working ... I could kiss you ;-)  Non-college educated people are ... essential.

Post apocalypse society ...

School and college are done.  The top 20% of educators can do this on-line, with parental support.  The other 80% will be unemployed.  The airlines are done.  Except for people who can't do videoconferencing for some odd reason.  Mass tourism is done.  You can travelogue without getting Legionaire's disease because big screen video is that good.  That hits all hotels and half the restaurants.  At least national parks will be less crowded.  Gym is done, videoconference with your trainer.  More people will get groceries and pharmaceuticals delivered to their homes.  More people will work from home.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Migrant Youths Riot In Paris Again, Attack Police With Fireworks" ... France back to normal, Macron is still a poopy head ;-)

""They Were Way Too Late" - Amazon Skimped On Safety At PA Warehouse Where 1,000 Workers Fell Ill" ... this is how protected giant corps treat their people.  Inessential employees were spared.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Soon 5 million total cases and still not at the inflection point.