Previously 'The big ol' 2020 debate', turned Baruch's personal waste bin.

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 27, 2020, 06:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I don't think it's a moral imperative to vote for Biden but I hope if progressives can't hold their noses and vote for him that they at least make their voices heard by writing in Sanders or their politician of choice. Better a protest vote than an apathy vote.

https://youtu.be/Fj2u4OWLzEY

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 10, 2020, 11:08:31 PM
I don't think it's a moral imperative to vote for Biden but I hope if progressives can't hold their noses and vote for him that they at least make their voices heard by writing in Sanders or their politician of choice. Better a protest vote than an apathy vote.
I briefly considered doing just that, but the thing is (and I'm sure a lot of other progressives feel the same way) I don't support Sanders exactly.  I'm sure he's a great guy.  A rare genuine person.  Nice, perhaps a bit too nice for his own good.  But I wasn't sticking my neck out for him just because I think he's a swell guy.  I supported him because I support having actually liberal policy positions (policy positions that would inevitably get watered down to barely center-left or even centrist positions in office.  Politics is the art of compromise, after all).

Writing him in does exactly nothing in advancing that cause.  Pointless, really.

On the other hand, Biden's apparent willingness to adopt some of Sanders' platform is a tiny step in the right direction.  Supporting him might support that cause a tiny amount.  This isn't ideal by any stretch (ideally, it should never have come to this), but it's a path.

If Biden can convincingly portray himself as an advocate for progressive causes, then he might have a chance.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 11, 2020, 12:55:09 AM
If Biden can convincingly portray himself as an advocate for progressive causes, then he might have a chance.

I think Biden needs to acknowledge that Americans had the best intentions electing Trump but now the question is "Has he delivered on his promises?" Are we in a better or worse place than we were four years ago? Are we more united or more divided? Are Americans working in decent jobs? Are we a wealthier country or are we $24 trillion in debt? Look around... did he made America great again? The Trump experiment failed and we need experienced leadership to get America back on course.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 11, 2020, 04:28:44 AM
I think Biden needs to acknowledge that Americans had the best intentions electing Trump
I think people forget that he ran on a populist, anti-corruption agenda.  Of course, he changed his tune real quick, not long after he got into office.  Forshame.

But even so, there's still a huge untapped base (right, left, and center) who is sick of the status quo, sick of the pervasive corruption, and wants major changes aimed at helping the working class.

If the candidates running spit in their eye (as Trump did) or take their support for granted (as Clinton did), then this base will not support them.

Lesser of two evils arguments will not win them over.  Shaming techniques will not win them over.  Only policy concessions will win them over.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 11, 2020, 12:55:09 AM
I briefly considered doing just that, but the thing is (and I'm sure a lot of other progressives feel the same way) I don't support Sanders exactly.  I'm sure he's a great guy.  A rare genuine person.  Nice, perhaps a bit too nice for his own good.  But I wasn't sticking my neck out for him just because I think he's a swell guy.  I supported him because I support having actually liberal policy positions (policy positions that would inevitably get watered down to barely center-left or even centrist positions in office.  Politics is the art of compromise, after all).

Writing him in does exactly nothing in advancing that cause.  Pointless, really.

On the other hand, Biden's apparent willingness to adopt some of Sanders' platform is a tiny step in the right direction.  Supporting him might support that cause a tiny amount.  This isn't ideal by any stretch (ideally, it should never have come to this), but it's a path.

The perfect is the enemy of the good enough.  A perfect candidate doesn't exist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Believe All Women: Joe Biden's Sexual Assault Accuser Has Now Filed A Criminal Complaint" ... bwahah

"NYT Deletes Tweet, Stealth-Edits Article After Excusing Biden Sexual Misconduct" ... bwahah

They are all doing what that Feminist organization did about Biden ... only Republicans can be punished.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Apparently Mark Cuban is another billionaire who is considering running for president as a third-party candidate.

From Wikipedia: "Cuban is an admirer of author and philosopher Ayn Rand."

Okay, that's really all I need to know.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 13, 2020, 02:25:12 PM
Apparently Mark Cuban is another billionaire who is considering running for president as a third-party candidate.

From Wikipedia: "Cuban is an admirer of author and philosopher Ayn Rand."

Okay, that's really all I need to know.
Heh, nothing makes one fall in love with Ayn Rand quite like a billion dollars.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 11, 2020, 04:28:44 AM
I think Biden needs to acknowledge that Americans had the best intentions electing Trump but now the question is "Has he delivered on his promises?" Are we in a better or worse place than we were four years ago? Are we more united or more divided? Are Americans working in decent jobs? Are we a wealthier country or are we $24 trillion in debt? Look around... did he made America great again? The Trump experiment failed and we need experienced leadership to get America back on course.

Politicians usually betray their promises.  Except President Polk, who promised to make war on Mexico, to expand American territory.

This is a good reason for term limits.  How may times has Pelosi been reelected?  Oh yes, term limits, but only for the other party ;-)

Bernie endorses Biden?   That isn't much.  Same as his endorsing Hillary last time ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2020, 02:26:40 PM
Heh, nothing makes one fall in love with Ayn Rand quite like a billion dollars.

Ayn Rand was an an-cap.  With strong fascist tendencies.  But in the end, she used Medicare when she needed it ;-)  This was because she was a Russian emigre, after the Russian revolution, who admired "strong men".  So was rabidly anti-communist.  As a young woman she even fell in love with a convicted murderer in prison.  Sounds like an SJW to me ;-)

Yes, Bernie hopes to get money from Biden, he needs to get more money to interior decorate his 4th house he will be building, off of the "non-returnable" campaign funds ... like he did with his 3rd house, after the 2016 election.  Such a communist, he is ;-))  Corbyn in GB, who led the Labour Party, was twice as much a millionaire than Boris Johnson.  Grifters, all of them, going back to Karl Marx grifting off of Engels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Obama endorses Biden for president" ... last Democrat, except Pocahontas, to do so ... only thing he has done post-presidency, and it is wrong.

"BLOOMBERG NEWS KILLED MAJOR NEWS STORY TO PROTECT CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY" ... wouldn't be political, except that Bloomberg is the moneybags for the DNC.  And Bloomberg made his billions off of the China trade.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Interesting click bait ... brother of NY governor ...

CNN WAS JUST CAUGHT PUSHING FAKE NEWS, CUOMO PANICKING AFTER WITNESS CONFIRMS HE IS NOT ISOLATING ;-)  Talking heads should be kept in jars, per Futurama.

PS ...

"Chris Cuomo Calls His CNN Duties “Ridiculous” On Radio Show, Then Backtracks" ... the mask briefly drops.

Labour Party in GB released their anti-Semitism report.  It had content of many private conversations, where the infighting in that party was brutal over the entire tenure of Jeremy Corbyn as leader.  Basically the Blairites vs the Trots.  Brits use a lot of explicatives, even when discussing the boss of their own political party.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Elizabeth Warren Endorses Biden" ... Creepy Uncle/Pocahontas 2020?

"Pentagon IG Strikes Blow To Amazon, Rules $10B Award To Microsoft Was Proper" ... MS is a big supporter of China, and Gates is a big investor in coronaviruses.  Amazon is controlled by Dem activist Jeff Bezos and is a favorite of the CIA already.  This new "cloud" was for DoD, not CIA.

"Why Is Hunter Biden Still Listed As Board Member Of Chinese Company He Vowed To Resign From?" ... DNC is wholely owned subsidiary of CCP

"Air Force Deploys First Laser Weapon System Overseas" ... anti-drone weapon, so not quite a death ray.  President has conducted action in Iraq against Iranian backed militias, in Guam against Chinese provocation over Taiwan + N Korean missile provocation.  US has overflown Syria with F35s.  If Trump seeks to corner the market on sandwich bread, mustard and swiss cheese, expect Turkey to be threatened ;-) (what I had for lunch).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur