Previously 'The big ol' 2020 debate', turned Baruch's personal waste bin.

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 27, 2020, 06:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I have understood that democracy has been broken in the US most of my adult life.  I compare the direct democracy (of male citizens) to how we behave in the US.  There is no comparison (aside from tiny New England village politics).  Even my Condo association in the 80s quickly went from direct democracy to "management agent".  And Athenian democracy was a failure even with 4000 active participants in decision making (not counting courts etc).  Basically we would all need to be landed aristocrats, with the desire to waste 1/2 our time every day on public affairs ... like 18th century English, who failed to handle the American Revolution successfully ... treating the unwashed as employees or worse.  The American South idolized ancient Greece (and landed aristocracy).  The Federalists idolized ancient Rome (and militarism).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: trdsf on April 08, 2020, 12:34:36 PM
Bernie's out.

Smart to do it now and give the party time to come back together after a fractious campaign.

Ah yes, come back together to same-ol' same-ol', business as usual that cost them the election last year, and has lead to America becoming an increasingly economically divided and struggling country for the last few decades. A country that under both Republicans and Democrats have seen student debt balloon to 1.6 trillion dollars, that has had corruption scandals increase steadily, that has seen it's infrastructure decay. That has seen the racial divide (and I don't mean socially, I mean economically) grow under both parties. That has seen the longest war in American history continue under both parties.

Great. Looking forward to it. More of the same. Wonderful.

That's exactly what we need after a major catastrophe that will cripple the American economy for years to come, is more of the same politics that already had economists concerned about inequality and a stock market collapse.

I don't even necessarily think Bernie was the answer, or that he would have beaten Trump, but at least he was a step in the right direction. But the DNC, the mainstream Democrats and the media all said fuck that, we want more of the same, and that's the most frustrating part of it all.

We are sailing towards the iceberg, and the passengers are all screaming at each other and both are telling the captain to sail faster towards it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on April 08, 2020, 06:47:31 PM
Ah yes, come back together to same-ol' same-ol', business as usual that cost them the election last year, and has lead to America becoming an increasingly economically divided and struggling country for the last few decades. A country that under both Republicans and Democrats have seen student debt balloon to 1.6 trillion dollars, that has had corruption scandals increase steadily, that has seen it's infrastructure decay. That has seen the racial divide (and I don't mean socially, I mean economically) grow under both parties. That has seen the longest war in American history continue under both parties.

Great. Looking forward to it. More of the same. Wonderful.

That's exactly what we need after a major catastrophe that will cripple the American economy for years to come, is more of the same politics that already had economists concerned about inequality and a stock market collapse.

I don't even necessarily think Bernie was the answer, or that he would have beaten Trump, but at least he was a step in the right direction. But the DNC, the mainstream Democrats and the media all said fuck that, we want more of the same, and that's the most frustrating part of it all.

We are sailing towards the iceberg, and the passengers are all screaming at each other and both are telling the captain to sail faster towards it.
Do you genuinely believe that a Biden presidency and four more years of the Oval Orifice would be indistinguishable?

Also, not a lot of sympathy here.  I had three of my preferences drop out before I had to settle.

So what's your priority, getting your way, or getting rid of that lying sack of racist shit infesting our White House?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on April 08, 2020, 07:00:06 PMAlso, not a lot of sympathy here.  I had three of my preferences drop out before I had to settle.
Ever notice that all we seem to be doing lately has been settling?

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 08, 2020, 07:05:18 PM
Ever notice that all we seem to be doing lately has been settling?
Politics is not a clean, cut and dried thing.  Also, every single one of the Democrats running (with the possible exceptions of Williamson, Bloomberg and Gabbard -- and of them, only Williamson would've been too horrible to vote for) were and are a fuckton more qualified, more sensible and more humane than that evil sack of shit Trump, and would be a better President.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Also, before we get sidetracked into conspiracy theory bullshit, the conspiracy you need to be mad about is the way the media enable the Oval Orifice.  I remind you what CBS CEO Les Moonves said of Trump in 2016: "It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS."

Quote from: Les Moonves"Man, who would have expected the ride we're all having right now? ... The money's rolling in and this is fun," Moonves went on. "I've never seen anything like this, and this going to be a very good year for us. Sorry. It's a terrible thing to say. But, bring it on, Donald. Keep going.”

THAT is your real problem, not divisions within the Democratic party -- which the media will exploit to keep their ratings cash cow in office.

Shiranu

QuoteDo you genuinely believe that a Biden presidency and four more years of the Oval Orifice would be indistinguishable?

Never said it would be.

QuoteSo what's your priority, getting your way, or getting rid of that lying sack of racist shit infesting our White House?

Neither.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Also, the fact that I've yet to hear a single pro-Biden argument that involves his policy is a huge tell.

SoldierofFortune

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason. -- Anonymous

Baruch

People love their teams, and team captains.  But this isn't a sport. It is psychosis.

Orange Man Bad?  Hitlery?  Creepy Joe?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 08, 2020, 07:45:25 PM
Also, the fact that I've yet to hear a single pro-Biden argument that involves his policy is a huge tell.
It's not a policy year.

But have you heard that he's not Trump?  That's a hell of a compelling argument.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 08, 2020, 09:35:55 PM
It's not a policy year.

But have you heard that he's not Trump?  That's a hell of a compelling argument.

Not Hitlery?  Thank G-d.  But we have months to wait and see ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on April 08, 2020, 10:15:04 PM
Not Hitlery?  Thank G-d.  But we have months to wait and see ;-)

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Biden isn't the nominee because of his failing mental capacities and the rape allegations and they decided to put Hillary up for election yet again.

(Of course, Democrats seem to have no real problem with the 8 people who have made allegations against Biden, because innocent until proven guilty... just ignore all the rhetoric about believing women, #MeTooUnlessYoureBlue

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 08, 2020, 10:19:15 PM
Honestly, at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Biden isn't the nominee because of his failing mental capacities and the rape allegations and they decided to put Hillary up for election yet again.
I almost forgot about that.  Man, I can't wait to knock on doors and try to defend someone who might have sexually assaulted someone.  That's going to be a blast.

Can you imagine trying to defend a presidential candidate not under criminal investigation or not facing rape allegations?  It's been a while.  I'm a little rusty.

Shiranu

One last thing I forgot to mention...

I have the "privilege" of living in a state where my vote doesn't matter anyways. I could vote for Micky Mouse and it would make just as much difference. I will most likely just write Bernie in, because he at least ran on a campaign of giving my vote a voice. Biden has not.