Previously 'The big ol' 2020 debate', turned Baruch's personal waste bin.

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 27, 2020, 06:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 12, 2020, 12:10:27 PM
I wonder how people would react to a Biden/Sanders ticket.

I have no idea how to get young people to actually go to the polls. 44.7 million Americans have student loan debt. Among the Class of 2019, 69% of college students took out student loans, and they graduated with an average debt of $29,900, including both private and federal debt. Meanwhile, 14% of their parents took out an average of $37,200 in federal parent PLUS loans. Sanders was essentially offering to give these people tens of thousands of dollars to vote for him.

Far better than a Biden/Clinton ticket or a Biden/Warren ticket or a Biden/Harris ticket. Not as good as a Biden/Gabbard ticket ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 12, 2020, 01:35:49 PM
Michelle Obama would attract voters but she said she won't do it.

Not been a Senator, not been Sec of State.  At least Sanders and Warren are Senators, and Gabbard was a Rep (she isn't running for reelection).

If we are really going for "shadow puppet" executives, with a PM doing the real work, like in Ireland ... then we can simply put a Hollywood person in the Presidency.  They have to only look good and talk good (to script).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2020, 01:24:17 PM
Probably not super well.  The telltale sign of a good compromise - both parties are grumbling.

But I'm not holding my breath.  Biden's reportedly under pressure to pick a black and/or female running mate for reasons.  Seems kinda dumb to pick someone who hasn't been in the running - at least you know that those people are good at attracting voters.
Extend early voting, more polling places (especially near workplaces), and/or making election day a holiday.  And it goes without saying, no more voter suppression (to which the Republicans reply: "no, more voter suppression)

All illegals get to vote, with picture ID/sanctuary cities?  Yes, Dems need more than dead people voting ;-)  We know there was widespread fraud in 2016 and in 2020 primary voting in Dem districts with lots of non-White voters.  And I don't care if all the illegals were blondes from Sweden.  I would purge all voter rolls well before November, make all people reregister with RealID.  Too many dead or moved to new address people in voter rolls.

But yes, sometimes they pick a nothing as VP (Governor of Alaska, Mr Potatoe-head) but that seems to be more of a Republican thing.  Gore and Mondale were viable former VPs, but not good campaigners.  Biden couldn't even beat Obama in 2008.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 12, 2020, 01:35:49 PM
Michelle Obama would attract voters but she said she won't do it.
Thank god.  I like Michelle Obama but that's an insane pick.  Afaik, she's never run for any public office.  Sure, being First Lady counts a little bit, but that's nothing compared to being a Senator or Governor or former VP.

Plus, I think we're already overdosing on Obama Nostalgia-brand Flavor Aid as it is.  Whatever happens in November, it's going to be a rude awakening for some of us.

Unbeliever

A lot of things can happen in 8 months. Maybe Trump's supporters will finally realize that they've been duped.

Well, one can hope...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2020, 01:52:13 PM
Thank god.  I like Michelle Obama but that's an insane pick.  Afaik, she's never run for any public office.  Sure, being First Lady counts a little bit, but that's nothing compared to being a Senator or Governor or former VP.

Plus, I think we're already overdosing on Obama Nostalgia-brand Flavor Aid as it is.  Whatever happens in November, it's going to be a rude awakening for some of us.

Stay awake 24x7 until then.  Let the media see your blood-shot eyes on Nov 3!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 12, 2020, 01:56:39 PM
A lot of things can happen in 8 months. Maybe Trump's supporters will finally realize that they've been duped.

Well, one can hope...

Duped by D, duped by R ... duped either way.  If the voters are still alive by then ;-(

But no, Marxist theory per UC Berkeley 1965 ... probably won't win either way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Or maybe Coronavirus will kill off enough old conservatives...

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 12, 2020, 02:04:17 PM
Or maybe Coronavirus will kill off enough old conservatives...

This is why I have a gun.  Millennials are much more tender to eat, if apocalypse arrives ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Afaik, around 90% of Republicans support Trump and out of that, about a third say that there's nothing he could do or say that would cause them to withdraw their support.  It's only a slight exaggeration to say that Trump is God to them.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2020, 02:54:18 PM
Afaik, around 90% of Republicans support Trump and out of that, about a third say that there's nothing he could do or say that would cause them to withdraw their support.  It's only a slight exaggeration to say that Trump is God to them.

In Communism, officially atheist, Lenin used to be God to them (I think Putin has surpassed the wax dummy in Red Square in popularity).  In China Mao and Chou still are the wax dummies of choice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2020, 03:01:48 PM
In Communism, officially atheist, Lenin used to be God to them (I think Putin has surpassed the wax dummy in Red Square in popularity).  In China Mao and Chou still are the wax dummies of choice.
So communist regimes aren't truly atheist?  Asking for a Fox and Friend who can't draw a line of disinction between people fighting for fifteen and people fighting for the Motherland.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2020, 03:59:44 PM
So communist regimes aren't truly atheist?  Asking for a Fox and Friend who can't draw a line of disinction between people fighting for fifteen and people fighting for the Motherland.

Never were.  They can't stand any alternative power structures.  If the alternative power structure was atheist aliens from Alpha Centauri ... they would claim theism to suppress them ;-)  And of course all historical communist regimes, aren't true communism ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 08, 2020, 07:07:29 PM
And I promised myself that I'd go canvassing for whomever the Dems nominate against Trump, so for IPU's sake, PLEASE give me policy reasons to sell this guy to people.  I'm begging you.
I want to point out that the whole idea behind my initial post was just to say, "Well, here's where I ended up."  I wrote only about the reasons why I intended to vote the way I chose.  I made no effort to try to say "and you should vote this way too".

Here's the deal.

I'm not going to give you policy reasons.  It's not my fucking job to give you policy reasons for a guy who was my fourth or fifth choice.

I want one thing: Trump out on his ass.  That's my sum total policy reason.  That's it.  No more, no less.  The only Dems that would've had me holding my nose before selecting them were Williamson, Bloomberg and Gabbard.  But I would have.  Because I am just too fucking tired of all the evil shit the Republicans do to care about anything more than unelecting as many of them as possible, and so fucking tired of politics in general that for the first time in my life I'm toying with the notion of skipping a primary.

Biden has one item on his résumé that Sanders doesn't: executive branch experience.  Otherwise, both are leading Trump by statistically the same amount in the polls and I don't fucking care who you vote for or which of them gets the nomination as long as that lying sack of shit is out on his fat ass -- and preferably on his way into a Federal courtroom on multiple criminal charges.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

I was glad George W couldn't run a third time.  Back then I wasn't voting at all.  Obama was my motivation to resume voting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.